“Eco- friendly and roll tops?”
Review of The Green House

The Green House
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
croydon
“Eco- friendly and roll tops?”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

There is no mention that the roll tops and the large shower are within the bedroom rather than enclosed in a bathroom so rather an unwelcome shock when first went into the room. As roll tops take a huge amount of water I believe this is against the ethos of the hotel.
Staff were friendly. Food was fabulous but service in the evening was slow and the wooden floor noisy. Furthermore no chance of a lie-in as the chambermaids were very noisy in the morning.
We had a problem with the sound of our TV and were told that it could not be fixed and that we could change rooms in the morning at 11.00. We packed our luggage and waited until 11.00 the following morning only to be told that the TV had been fixed while we had breakfast. Would have been better to be told before we packed up.
Deco very well maintained, very clean everywhere but towels need replacing.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
oosullivan, Manager at The Green House, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that you didn’t like the roll top restored Victorian baths in the room, some people love them and some people don’t! We do try to describe our rooms as clearly as possible along with photos of our rooms and baths so that guests are aware of the set up. Perhaps you would kindly contact me at the hotel and let me know where you saw us online so that we can amend the description and photos so as not to mislead guests. I can imagine it was a shock to you so would like to prevent that happening again! I agree that the water consumption in a bath is excessive in comparison to a shower, however, many guests love a good soak once in a while and it is nice to be able to offer this luxury in our beautiful baths, with water heated by our solar panels. At the same time we are very conscious about our water consumption and have aerators fitted to every single tap and shower head in the hotel, this actually offers a higher pressure flow that regular fittings and uses far less water!
We do have a setting on our televisions to keep the volume low to prevent disturbing neighboring guests. The reception team tried very hard to come up with a solution and did inform you as soon as they found a solution, I am sorry it was after you had already packed your bags. I hope you had an enjoyable evening after all.
I have communicated your complaint to the housekeeping team, they do try to keep as quiet as possible, and we do kindly request that all guests behave considerately to fellow hotel guests.
It is lovely to hear that the staff were friendly and the food fabulous, I am so pleased you enjoyed this part of your stay. We are currently redesigning the restaurant as we all feel that the wooden floors are, like you say, just too noisy!
Once again, thank you very much for your stay and review and we hope to welcome you back to The Green House in the future!
Best regards, Elizabeth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Its a shame I feel really let down. Some bits excellent some other quite poor.

Welcome by reception. Excellent really nice and friendly.

Decor and room overall in the hotel superb and spotless.

The 'two' biscuits Chef had freshly baked and left in a cookie jar by the bed was a nice touch... Perhaps a couple more would have made this gesture look a little less half-hearted (cookie delicious all the same!)

I don't however like the woollen stuff everywhere especially the headrest on the bed it's itchy.

Also all the towels look old and tired and frayed.

Service in other areas pretty poor too.

Bar. Returning to the hotel at around midnight, the residents bar had a smattering of people enjoying a drink. As we entered, the Barman walked past me and left as I walked up to the bar - i am sure he could see me. Then with nobody at the bar, after 15 minutes I had to go and find a member of staff ... I was told he had gone outside for a cigarette and would be back soon.

Breakfast. Equally slow and waited half hour and again. Had to 'push' for service.

But what tipped this hotel into a 'would not go back' though was the noise. The people in the next room were having some sort of party and as a result, I got about 3 hours of sleep. There is literally no soundproofing in the walls on the second floor. If I could have found another hotel at 3am I would have done so.

So basically paid £140 for no sleep at all and left in the morning so tired - not what you want from a hotel

Guys, if you are reading this - you need to bite the bullet, rip out the walls and put in some sound proofing because you can hear everything and I mean everything...

2 Thank Bairdies
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. It is a great disappointment to hear that you would not choose to return to The Green House. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were unable to sleep due to the noise of neighboring guests, I completely agree with you that this is not what you want for a hotel. We are investigating the possibilities for sound proofing, whilst it will not bring back your nights’ sleep – I am so grateful to you for raising the issue as we have now pushed this to the top of our priority list.
I must add that it is extremely rare that we have such noisy guests staying with us! This was a particularly unusual party, I know exactly which rooms you are talking about. The reception team finally managed to control the guests after some very stern words. Usually our guests are very thoughtful and considerate to others staying in the hotel and would never behave in such an uncivilized manner. We would certainly not be where we are today if even a small percentage of our guests shared the experience you did. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for this and the other issues you have raised.
We have a relatively new food and beverage team, and are adjusting the team so that only staff who are completely committed to delivering our standards of hospitality and service remain with us. Your feedback is again very helpful in helping us make the changes we need to improve the overall guest experience.
On a positive note - thank you for your super feedback about our reception team. They work extremely hard to ensure every guest feels valued and are very happy to hear your comments. Sorry that you only could enjoy 2 of Chef’s freshly baked delicious biscuits, they are in high demand!!
For your information; our towels are organic fair trade cotton and we launder them in house to control the energy consumed and detergents used. We are now using our third generation of linen and unfortunately the previous generation had been resurrected in your room. We have removed any of the frayed linen from the laundry cycle.
We would be very happy to hear from you, so perhaps you would please contact me on 01202498900. Best regards, Elizabeth
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Spent three days at The Green House. My partner surprised me by booking this hotel for our last trip before he goes on a journey for awhile. The room was perfect, it felt like we are staying in our own bedroom. The bed was heaven. I loved just laying there at the end of our day and spending quality time. The bathroom and the bath tub was amazing. The food in the restaurant was delicious and just the right portion. It was the perfect stay during one of the most important time in our lives and I am so glad we stayed in this wonderful hotel.

Smokey_Anne

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review and stay with us! It's lovely to hear that in your case we exceeded your expectations! Please contact me directly and I will make sure your next stay is even more fabulous!
Best regards, Elizabeth 01202498900
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Me & my other half at last minute decided to go to the Dorset Steam Fair - when I say last minute we actually left home at lunchtime Saturday.
Despite hours of scrabbling around on the iPad whilst the other half was driving we couldn't get a hotel in Dorset - so thought Bournemouth might be worth a shot. It might be worth mentioning that we are very fussy when it comes to where we stay - I'm not really overly fussed but Mr would never dream of staying anywhere less than 4 stars.
I found this hotel on one of the comparison sights, checked the reviews and looked at the photos and after Hubbys aproval decided to call the hotel directly.

Bearing in mind it was by this time 3 in the afternoon and we wanted a room that night - we were soo pleased to be told that they had one room left :) the lady on the phone was more than helpful and reassured us that it didn't matter what time we checked in as they run a 24 hour reception, but did we have an idea of what time we would be arriving? We didn't know but it didnt seem to be an issue.

We arrived just after 11 and although the receptionist had told us there was plenty of parking we did struggle to park our large 4x4. This was mainly due to inconsiderate parking by other guests and I feel this problem may be down to no parking lines? Or that they were very faded out. After about 4 attempts of parking :p with the assistance of parking sensors thank goodness... we went in.

It was very obvious there was a party in full swing - which we didnt mind although we were worried that after having spent the day in a muddy feild and being slightly tired and muddy we would be confronted by party goers - however we werent, the bar and function rooms were totally seperate from the main reception and we walked straight in and were taken to our room without hesitation.

The man on reception took us to our room which was called "aspen" and showed us where the light switches were and how to turn the TV on.

The room itself was lovely! I read the room guide and everything in the hotel has been considered with regards to the environment - even down to the toilet roll and the paint on the walls! I spent a great deal of time reading through and learning about where the bed sheets were produced and what they were made of etc.

The only down point was.... the lack of soundproofing! We could hear the music thumping from the party - which I switched off too, but also every noise coming from the hall and movement from the room next door, perhaps in their eco drive they had comissioned the doors to be made out of cardboard ;) but - as I said, not really a huge deal and we were soon asleep in our very comfy bed!

We had a great nights sleep for a great price which did include breakfast - however as per our usual selves we were unable to drag ourselves out of bed in time so we are unable to comment on that!

I would reccomend this hotel to anyone and would definately stay there again!

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Attended a function here, and neither stayed in a room or ate in the restaurant.

However, the function was beautifully presented and an excellent hot buffet provided on the lawn. The bars and public areas exuded chic. All the staff I saw were slick, courteous and very professional. Bar service was faultless and whole place screamed glamour.

I would love to stay here and enjoy the many lovely facilities of this beautiful hotel, set in a peaceful street just a pebble-throw from all the attractions of this stately seaside town.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
bristol
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel on the night of 01/09/2012. The master bedroom we had was very tastefully decorated, with a wonderful large 'organic bed', everything was spotlessly clean. On the downside the eco friendly lights were so dim we could not find our clothes or read in bed. The ensuite bathroom had a fantastic walk- in shower with wonderful natural stone everywhere, but again very dim lighting and nowhere to put make up or toiletries.The advertised chef baked biscuits were 3 tiny mouth sized slivers. Perhaps small points but when you are paying over £200 per night then these details become rather significant.
The restaurant food was delicious. It couldn't be faulted for its creativity and balance of flavours. However we found the service a little brusque and lacking in human contact.The layout of the dining room didn't facilitate relaxing over a meal either. We were sat at a table which was essentially in a corridor between the bar area and the kitchens and the waiting station.The dining room floor is wood, so noisy and creaky and throughout our meal we had waiting staff stomping past our table as they careered between bar and kitchen.This could probably been rectified by redeploying staff so they weren't rushing between all the various places.At breakfast we were sat in the body of the restaurant which was more comfortable and the staff were much more relaxed and engaged with the customers.
We'd say if you have plenty of money then do go there and enjoy the delicious food and classy surroundings. Or go on a day when it is not full blown prices. We didn't feel it justified its prices.

2 Thank ZoeBristol
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Excellent hotel. Service, food and staff all top class. Taster menu is superb and beautifully presented by attentive waiting staff but expensive if not included in your package (ours was!) Other a la carte menu is also first class. As a retired couple it suited our needs very well.
Would not hesitate to recommend or go there again if we could get the same sort of deal!

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel are larger.