“Contemporary style & great location”
Review of The Green House

The Green House
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I booked a night in January at The Green House, making my booking online in December after seeing good reviews on TripAdviser and Mr & Mrs Smith. During online searches, The Green House stood out from other hotels in Bournemouth due to its contemporary style and eco-credentials, in a sea of large, mainstream hotels and B&Bs. Even though I had booked the room a month earlier, they were generous enough to add their a special January deal on to my booking, which gave us £20 per head off dinner. I had intended to book dinner in town, but changed my mind after being offered this discount. On arrival we also had been upgraded from a small double to a much larger room, which was lovely. The Farrow & Ball interiors are restful and calm, and although the hotel is obviously keen to be as environmentally-conscious as possible, it still offers good technology (flat-screen tv and strong wifi in the rooms) and luxurious details (fantastic beds and lovely wine glasses!). The location was even closer to the centre than I had realised - we were able to walk 5 minutes to get to the Odeon cinema to catch a film and the sea was also just around the corner. There were a few minor aspects that if rectified would have enabled me to give The Green House five stars - no wall shelf in the en-suite meant it was difficult to store toiletries, the room only had a shower not a bath and the breakfast (food and service) was a little bit unreliable, but otherwise we had a wonderful stay and would recommend the hotel to others without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank walshfm
There are newer reviews for The Green House

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here last night. Impromptu weekend in Bournemouth. Lovely plush double room. Very zen bathroom. Solid wood everything and quality local food = lovely lazy weekend.

Staff very helpful and friendly. Free parking outside the hotel. 5-10 minute walk into town so very convenient.

You'll see the other hotels in the area and wish you had stayed in this one.

Visit the oceanarium if you have time. They have sea turtles and sharks.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QWERTYLL
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed regularly on business 4 days a week generally for 3 weeks out of every 4. My colleague found it on a boutique hotel website and what a find. It's restaurant was one of only 2 Michelin mentioned (one below a star) in Bournemouth and the food lived up to it and we normally ate there at least twice a week. The restaurant has changed a little apparently but my colleagues say it is still excellent.

The service and staff all round were fantastic and being small if felt like a home from home and very warming with a very nice bar.

The hotel was immaculate and the rooms superb I think I stayed in nearly all of them. But most had roll top baths sometimes in the room and lovely solid wood flaws and slate around the baths. Very romantic but unfortunately I never got a chance to go with my wife.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here before, about a year ago, so was curious as to whether the hotel has changed. It's just as lovely as I remember. We were extremely lucky and got upgraded to CrabApple which had a huge bed, sofa and a wonderfully luxurious bathroom. The food is still superb - we enjoyed sublime scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast. If you don't want cooked breakfast, there's a buffet of cereal, croissants, fruit compotes and fresh juices. It's such a super bolt-hole for a weekend away! The location is on East Cliff and you can walk along the cliff top in about 5 minutes from the hotel. Or there's a 10 minute walk down a large hill to the beach. The car park is much-needed as the parking around the hotel on the roads is now all metered, 7 days a week! We'll definitely be returning for another break.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We booked a 6 course taster menu at the Green house for New Year's Eve. On arrival we were meet by a very friendly member of staff who showed us to the bar. The meal itself began at 8pm and we were seated promptly. The food was fantastic and very we'll presented. The only complaint I have, is the speed at which each course came out. No sooner had we finished one course, then another arrived almost immediately. The chef at the Green house is obviously very good at what he/she does, I Just think they need to slow the service down so that the diner can really appreciate the effort that went into it. Unfortunately, this was the only thing that slightly spoiled the experience.

Fantastic food should never be rushed. Other than that, really nice place

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with my hubby for a birthday treat. From the moment we arrived the staff were so friendly and accommodating. We were given a complimentary room upgrade which was a lovely surprise! We'd booked a meal in the restaurant on our second night and again the staff were very attentive. They even sang happy birthday to me and brought my desert out with a candle for me to blow out. I thought my husband had organised it but he hadn't. What a nice personal touch this was. The large double room was very roomy and so tastefully decorated. In fact the whole hotel is. My only negative was the ceilings didn't seem to be soundproofed and we could hear everything in the room above us even what they were watching on tv. It didn't spoil our stay though. The hotel is within walking distance of all that Bournemouth has to offer as well. Give it a go you won't be disappointed :)

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I enjoyed my stay (again) at the Green House - it is comfy, modern, stylish and 'green'.

But I have 3 niggles - the main one is that the wi-fi connection was dire: I must have connected-been disconnected-reconnected literally 20+ times over the course of 1 hour.

2. My meal in the room was decent, but - because there was no available table - I ate off the tray on the bed! No big deal but not the most relaxing. 3. Is the fact that my small but comfy single room had the loo roll holder located behind you....as you sat on the lav!! Which meant that to get toliet paper you had to perform an interesting physical manoevre!

Nice quiet-ish location; about 10 mins brisk walk from cliff top walks with lovely beach views below.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank James D
oosullivan, General Manager at The Green House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback to others on your stay. Always a pleasure to talk to our regular guests. The wifi at the hotel is not always reliable and we are currently working towards fixing this. Luckily it is complimentary. If you have an Ethernet cable it is probably better to hook up to our broadband lines instead. Believe me, your frustrations are also our frustrations. We have found a new solution and this should be up and running for the new year. Thank you for letting me know about your in room dining problem. I have just today secured, folding legs that we can bring to the room to rest your tray on, so basically creating a movable flexible table for dining. Hopefully this will create a much better experience for you when you are next back. I have seen your comments on our feedback forms so I will be paying a visit to your room to adjust the pesky loo roll holder to a more "Manoeuvrable" position. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Olivia O'Sullivan, General Manager