“Highly recommend this hotel.”
Review of Mayfield Hotel

Mayfield Hotel
Ranked #94 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Highly recommend this hotel.”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

What a great little place. I stayed here for over one month and was impressed with the overall value and convenience of the Mayfield Hotel. I would stay here again. The manager was very accomodating when I arrived, any issues were resolved in a reasonable amount of time. The decor is definately unforgettable! Keep in mind that this is a BUDGET accomodation, providing shelter, heat, washing facilities, and a place to lay your head at night; not a five-star luxury hotel. Bring ear-plugs if you are staying over the week-end. Some clients like to party in the hotel, and Bournemouth is a bit of a party-town, so this will happen no matter which hotel you stay in.

Room Tip: I stayed in room #1. It has a queen-sized bed, a 3 piece bathroom, desk, 3 chairs, and small refrige...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank islegreen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Booked for two nights,first night kept awake by live in staff.room was comfortable,but not enough tea and coffee left in the room.Bathroom light switch was faulty had to pull it two or three times to get it to work.The location was a bit remote,situated between, boscombe and bournemouth.ok if you have a car,if not quite a long walk either way.the decor was very dated.having to collect key from the other hotel was quite strange,thankfully not raining.lastly,the step on the inner door needs attention,tripped over it and badly bruised my foot,however i am not going to make an issue of it,but somebody else might.did not see staff for the two days we stayed.Will not recommend this and will not stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank marley51

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

leevanclief
Reviewed 17 October 2012

What a bargain this place is, while the mismatching decor is a little odd our room was clean and fresh with everything you could want, we paid £26 for the room and I would definitely stay here again. :-)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank leevanclief
High Peak
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My wife and I booked the Mayfield Hotel for five nights B&B. I left my wife and our luggage (we came by train) outside Mayfield while I got the key. When paying the £20 deposit at the desk I felt uncomfortable as there were about eight youths just lounging about on the seats as I got out my wallet and card (to be vetted by manager) before handing over the one key which worked both the front door and the bedroom. Upon returning to the Mayfield we let ourselves into a rather dimly lit hallway. Not having been here before we had to find our room ourselves, no meet and greet! After climbing up the 37 stairs to our room (N0 6) complete with luggage we got the kettle on. There was only a view of the back yards, and flats from our steamed up double glazed windows, which didn't really matter as we would be out and about. After our train journey of several hours my wife went for a shower. Two problems:- 1. the hotel seems to suffer from a lack of water pressure and so the shower was poor. Recommend a power pump (as the Amarillo next door but one has had fitted). 2. the floor of the shower cubicle was quite slippery. A mat could prevent problems. I also discovered that the toilet seat was moving and found a nut and bolt on the floor. This I reported on our way out after ringing a bell for attention downstairs. A young foreign lad answered and said he would have to tell the manager. To his credit upon our return we found the toilet seat fixed. Our major problem was the four poster bed. It had a mattress of about 6 or 7 inches deep upon which we could feel the springs inside. This was on wooden slats and was most uncomfortable. I did mention this to the manager upon our departure and he said it really needed replacing as it was army surplus! On the bed was a rather old looking duvet that didn't seem to fit inside the cover. There was good wardrobe space, and supply of tea and coffee. The small fridge in the room was handy as well. We went down for breakfast the next morning at 0810 and felt a bit lost. The tables didn't have room numbers on them so it was first come first served. Tea, coffee etc was in an alcove and it was serve yourself, with the butter and yogurts in the fridge when we found them. Either a young foreign girl or lad took our breakfast order and served it freshly cooked. However the tomato was always hard and undercooked, the rest was ok. The toast every day was pale and limp, nowhere near toasted (saving on electricity maybe). Fresh fruit was provided and once you had sorted yourself out and got familiar with everything it was ok. What we felt it needed was someone who could look after the visitors and put them at their ease. This was missing throughout our stay of five nights.

It was interesting to note that on the hotel cards by the front door it said and I quote "Bournemouth HOSTEL" Ingledene House & Mayfield Hotel. If my wife and I had known at the time of booking that we were booking into a hostel we would not have made the booking. I checked the website and it does not mention that it is a hostel, nor was it mentioned in the confirmation. Maybe this is the reason that you are left to find your own way about. I know that the Mayfield is only 2 star but a bit of care and attention to detail would make it much more friendly.

I have read other comments about Mayfield on Trip Advisor and the replies from the manager. I have written as find as I do for all my visits to hotel reviews. I wouldn't say that it was particulary cheap, more on a similar price range to other establishments on Frances Road, and I dont go with the eco bit on saving energy. A dim hall and stairway is not very welcoming! I look forward to any replies.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 41HighPeak
cgbutton, Owner at Mayfield Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
We consider this review as wholly unacceptable, considering the price paid (£55/night including breakfast) versus the standard of accommodation booked (2 star budget) .

So lets deal with this one by one.....

1. "The matress in room 6". Noone has ever complained about this matress before. 150 couples per season cant all be wrong about this matress. What often happens in this kind of situation is that you change the matress to a softer one and someone then complains its too soft. You change it for a harder matress and then someone complains its too hard. and so on..... We have another interesting story about room 6 which I now want to share with other readers. We have an elderly couple that visits Mayfield at least twice every year and is well aware that both Ingledene and Mayfield have a choice of 22 rooms. However, they have fallen in love with room 6 at Mayfield. Yep, and for the last three years will not book any other room. Its a shame that this reviewer and this couple cant speak to one another. Perhaps if tripadvisor was more user friendly and positive about budget accommodation then this may one day happen. We are keeping our fingers crossed for some more balanced reading in the future.

2."The lighting". As mentioned before. We only use energy saving because we are austere people and prefer to reduce our carbon footprint rather than use wastefull lighting techniques that this guest is accustomed to.

3. "The water pressure". You could expect specialised pumps for each room in a 4 star classification and expect to pay at least 3 times what you paid at the more spartan Mayfield experience

4. "Making someone feel comfortable". Its not appropriate to have some kind of porter or room attendant specifically there trying "to make someone feel comfortable" who may also carry bags to the room or show you where the light switch is or how to switch the telly on. Employing somebody wh,o is not available at a prearranged time, but at a random time of a guests choosing, would cost us between £25,000 and £50,000 a year and would drive us out of business within 6 weeks. This is the kind of service you normally expect only at a 5 star hotel such as the Ritz in London.

5. "Foreign". When you stay in a hotel, by the very nature of the activity, you can expect all guests and staff to be "foreign" to one another since as a guest you are travelling from a destination that is not "home". And as such its offensive to refer to our staff as foreign as though there was something wrong with this. Of course the staff are going to be foreign. Thats what hotels do: welcome strangers. Its also discriminatory and racist to refer to Europeans as a foreign in this country. The Eurpoean staff we employ have as much right to be here as we do and in no sense are foreign anymore. This is what it means to be apart of the European Union.

6. "tomato too hard and undercooked". Why eat it? Why publish such a comment on tripadvisor? Send it back and ask it to be cooked more! Thats what we pay our staff to do for you.

7. "Uncomfortable around young people". if you book budget 2 star then you can expect it to be full of people from the younger generation. If you feel intimidated by young people then youd be well advised to dig deeper into your wallet and book a 3 or 4 star hotel which have less young people staying there.

8. "37 steps". If senior citizens dont like so many stairs then they'd be well advised to book a three star hotel with a lift.

I think this is enough to set the record straight and makes our 2 star position crystal clear.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I booked this hotel from a hotel website quite last minute and thought the overall look of the place from the outside was a little on the bold side but I couldn't fault this place at all...it was clean, the breakfast was well worth the money and the general attention to detail and inclusion of many 'home comforts' was great for a small place - the decor is funny ..bold, quirky, chintzy and in places very 80's in places but it was fun ! It was very close to the beach (approx 10 min walk) and the parking is brilliant so I cant find anything negative to say at all ...the welcome was good and we were given plenty of information - we will definitly be booking for the same time next year as this was very good value for money !

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Colette J
cgbutton, Owner at Mayfield Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2012
Thankyou for your honest feedback that we totally agree with.

Thankyou for judging us only on the standards that we advertise to you when you book:

Budget
2 star
Guest House
south east england
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I have always written honest reviews (please see them) but I feel by leaving this one that I may receive some harsh feedback from the owner/s (please see reviews made by others to this hotel and the Ingledene) but I don't feel that I should hold back as I would like people to know what I thought, so they can then decide for themselves if they wish to book.
The hotel is well situated as it is about a 10 minute walk to the beach but this is where the good points finish I'm afraid! We had to collect the keys from the Ingledene guest house down the road which was fine, though I did have to pay a deposit of £20 (which was not stated). I booked a room for 4 adults and from pictures on their website was expecting a double bed and two singles what actually transpired was that I received a room with a double bed and rickety, old bunk beds!! Adults do NOT sleep on bunk beds and this room should not be able to be booked for 4 adults! This was just the start of the many faults we came across....1) The lighting was awful when you entered the property to the point where you could hardly see to walk up the stairs 2) The owner was obviously cooking their dinner but it smelt awful, just awful-to the point of gagging, this was with the windows open! 3) Broken floor boards, 4) Extremely old bedding etc.
I had seen the reviews and pictures added by other reviewers and knew it was not going to be 5* nor did I think all the amenities would be brand new but there is a fine line!
The morning could not come soon enough after laying still on the bunk bed as any movement would have had it come crashing down on the person beneath.
Will I recommend this hotel to others NO, will I stay here again NO.

Room Tip: I would imagine all the rooms are the same!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank travelqueen83
cgbutton, Owner at Mayfield Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
We are sorry that this reader did not have a good experience at mayfield. We take this review up under the following issues: 1 Luxury versus budget accommodation 2. booking room types 3. Lighting 4. Deposits

1. Luxury versus budget accommodation. I think this review confuses an important issue when booking accommodation and we want to now try and assist readers when booking in the future. Readers need first of all decide what kind of accommodation they want, and then if they want luxury, dont book budget just because its cheap and then at a later date take their grievance out on tripadvisor. Mayfield hotel is classified as a 2 star guest house with Visit Britain and is a budget accommodation suitable for people who dont care too much about the quality but are more concerned about value for money and price. Furthermore, we do not believe, when publishing reviews on tripadvisor, that its appropriate to write a review that tries to compare a budget 2 star Guest House in terms of quality with all other experiences staying in luxury 3 star or 4 star accommodation as has almost certainly been done here.

2. Room type.The room this person booked is described on all our websites as a " Family en-suite room containing a double bed and EITHER two single beds OR a bunk bed suitable for 4 people". The word "Family" is the key word here in the room description not a "group of 4 adults". However because we are budget accommodation if guests dont mind sharing as 4 adults they are welcome to book one room rather than the two rooms they would have had to book if they booked in a luxury hotel costing at least double or more likely triple the price. Indeed If guests dont like staying in a family room with 2'6 beds more suited for a 10 year old then they would be well advised not to book this room type in the first place.

3. Lighting. Mayfield hotel has a policy of reducing its carbon footprint and is further planning this winter to install Solar PV electric panels on the roof. Part of this energy saving property maintenance campaign involves using low energy light bulbs that are notorious for taking time to display brightness throughout the hotel because we are budget accommodation and prefer to economise than use the kind of excessive energy wastful lighting that one might expect in a 4 star hotel.

4. Key deposit. Its untrue to state that guests are not told about the key cash deposit. The reader only needs to click on any of our third party Micro- websites listed on tripadvisor and one clearly sees that this is clearly mentioned in the important information on all these sites. Its also listed in all our booking confirmations sent to guests prior to arrival and also in every email communication we send out to our guests.

Finally, if readers would prefer to read a qualified, unbiased, professional, comprehensive and non-quirky review of our hotel we are more than willing to email them a copy of the 100-page annual report our independent professionally qualified hotel inspector provides for us each year from Visit Britain.
walsall
Reviewed 5 July 2012

great place ,clean and friendly ,nice area ,bus ride or steady walk from the pier ,10 minute walk from east cliffs.ive booked to go again this year and cant wait for there delicious breakfast.you must check in at an hotel in the next street but i know the score now. highly recommended.

Room Tip: east cliffs the best area to go.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo