“Mini Honeymoon break disappointment”

Royal Bath Hotel & Spa
Ranked #59 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Well there certainly isn't anything royal about The Royal Bath Hotel in Bournemouth. Please bare in mind when reading this that I have never left a bad review in my life. The day after our Wedding we stayed her ( thankfully for one night only). On arrival we were told it is £20 pound per day to park so we parked in the car park practically next door which was £12. Our first room we were showed too was dirty and had a rather rubbish view ( it was meant to be a sea view as we had paid for an upgrade).
Anyway- we were moved to another room with a better view of the sea and pier but the shower didn't work and there were what looked like dried snot on the duvet cover and burn holes in the carpet ( in what was meant to be a no smoking room!) We stayed in this room as had given up by this point. Very disappointing- no mini bar about 2 free bourbon biscuits was as far as it went here. You could tell staff here were not really bothered and no effort was made to check we were happy. We were not even told anything when we arrived like where we could find the Hotel facilities etc. Pool was ok. We got in the jacuzzi but were then asked to get out as they can only keep it on for 15 minutes at a time so that was short lived. Would never go back. Completely overpriced bar and very tired rooms. Just glad we have a proper honeymoon to look forward to in September. Claire & Al

Room Tip: I am not sure there are any good rooms here- we didn't see any.
There are newer reviews for Royal Bath Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 16 July 2012

We spent a night on half board at this hotel. From the very first contact at the reception desk it was very clear nobody knew what they were doing. After a 10 MIN.check-in, we were given a key CARD. After several corridors and three floors later, we found our room, only to find it needed a KEY and not a key card! so we had to go all the way back to reception, and finally managed to get into our room.
Now this was a £240 room, the bathroom had a cracked sink, the bath was chipped, The sliding door to the balcony did not lock properly,it needed a total overhaul, yes the views were very nice, but that does not justify you to charge top rates for a jaded room.
when i checked in, I was told I would be eating in the a la carte restaurant, when I looked at the menu for the evening, I found I was allowed £20 if I had three courses, but only £15 if I had two( don't ask me how they work that out!) But on half board I expect to be able to have a three course dinner (I except the odd supplement for one or two dishes) but a main courses on there own was £16-17,(and there was only a choice of four and two of those had run out by the time we sat down!) You would have to pay extra, no matter what, unless you just had a main course on its own.
We ordered a bottle of wine for the room, it never arrived, we went to reception to chase it and it still did not arrive, in the end we gave up and went without.
Breakfast was good(nice choice) self-service, but again we were NOT offered any tea or coffee, and had to nearly go and beg for it from one of the waitress, who seemed more concerned about the cutlery she was playing with.
All in all, a hotel that THINKS its good and charges a fortune, but in fact needs a good shake-up and modernised!!
We even complained to the management, but were not offered any goodwill and left feeling we certainly would not be back!
You have been warned!!

1  Thank wafarin
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

Booked in March to take my elderly and disabled mother for her birthday. Specifically requested 'adapted room' for her needs (walk in shower) to arrive and be told it's not working and hasn't been since January! Rated 4* but rooms shabby and dated. Only 2 of the 4 main dishes available for dinner and service poor! Highly expensive weekend stay for 2-3* quality! Quite appalling that my mother had to endure 3 days without proper washing facilities - outrageous.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank LKWorf
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We booked one night in this hotel with my fiancé,as we`ve never been to Bournemouth.We were not hoping to get an ocean view room, but we`ve got one indeed!!quick check-in,amazing view from our second floor room,the beach was just 2 minutes walk from our hotel.The building looks like a palace,great design inside and outside too.Wonderful garden and terrace,clean swimming pool,sauna,steam room and a great jacuzzi!Our room was clean, spacious and bright ,furniture was ok, only problem to be mentioned,we had some difficulties with opening the windows,but nothing serious.During our stay we only met with friendly,helpful staff,excellent service!I would like to highlight the outstanding and professional service we received from Phil (concierge) and Joe (room service),thank you guys!

1  Thank Gellert F
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I stayed the the Royal Bath last night and was pretty underwhelmed by the experience. I stayed in an executive room (144) which, whilst big, was very tired. Their website says the executive rooms are 'sumptuously set' and I might find it 'hard to leave', well room 144 does not match that description. Extremely tired, with absolutely not luxury at all. The bed was big and comfortable, but it only had 2, rather cheap, pillows on it. There was very little info in the room about the hotel, no info about bournemouth and the surrounding areas, not even a telephone list of numbers for reception/ room service, etc. The toilet paper was the really cheap stuff that you find in public toilets and everything was just grubby.

At 9am they started hoovering outside my door, which was a tad frustrating.. And I couldn't believe they charge £20 per night to park your car

I went down for breakfast, which was ok, but I went to pour myself some orange juice, but it turned out to be orange squash... This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, and they can't even offer fresh orange juice in the morning! Even premier Inn's and travel lodge's offer OJ!

On a positive, it is a grand building, in a great location and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

This was probably once a great hotel that could justify the prices they charge, but I'm afraid now it is a shadow of its former self and completely overpriced.

A much better option in Bournemouth is the Premier Inn just over the road, which used to be the Hilton hotel, it has the same benefits in terms of location etc, but at a 3rd of the price.

I won't be staying at the Royal Bath again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank James R
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We had the unfortunate pleasure of staying here for 3 nights. This hotel is truly awful, the rooms are not just extremely dated but also unclean. Our bathroom was filthy as was the carpet and if you dared to try and open the window (which was pretty much mission impossible) then your hands were left covered in dirt!! I have heard of shabby-chic but this place was just shabby!!
No heating or air-conditioning in our room, the lift was out of order (which resulted in us taking 2 small children and a buggy up and down 3 flights of stairs all day long) and certain areas of the hotel had a very strange smell that really took your breath away (for all the wrong reasons).
What amazes me is that they have the audacity to advertise as a 4 start hotel, the only thing remotely 4 star about here is the lovely views to the coastline.
If the actual decoration of the hotel and rooms were not bad enough to leave you disappointed
then the staff and service certainly will. The staff were disinterested and surly. I have never in my life stayed in a hotel that has such a poor standard of customer service.
Lack of communication was a real issue with even the simplest of requests such as "no dressing on the salad please" having to be passed down the line to 3 members of staff (and i would like to think that my Scottish accent isn't that terrible to understand). They also offer cocktails at £8 a pop but the staff seem to think it amusing that they don't actually know how to make them (hilarious, I'm sure!!!)
The only positives this hotel has were the breakfast which was enjoyable and the swimming pool was a hit with the children as it was a lovely warm temperature.
You could also tell that this hotel were making cut backs as there was skeleton staff on at all times and its just unfortunate that the little staff they did have on were completely untrained. All in all we spent over £600 to stay in a run down, out dated hotel with unhelpful staff. Such a disappointment as this hotel has huge potential to be extremely grand which I am sure it was a long long time ago.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank A11uk
Reviewed 11 July 2012

As a young boy I used to cycle by and gaze enviously at the posh people coming out of the then 5* hotel. These days it is 4* but I had the opportunity of staying there and was looking forward to it. The reception and public rooms are fine but venture further afield and the tiredness of the hotel is evident. Corridor carpets are threadbare in places and furniture in the rooms have seen better days. Breakfast buffet style was fine and the service was good and our room was large and comfortable with a great sea view. Prices at the bar were expensive and valet parking at £20 a day a bit steep.Britannia Hotels have just taken over from De Vere and it remains to be seen if the investment is made to bring it up to its old standard.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family