“amazing experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

this hotel is absolutley fabulous couldnt fault it one bit stayed here with my husband for a weekend away the staff were superb the facilities were great the restaurant was top quality what a fantastic hotel the night porters were by far the friendliest ive experienced

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Holly K, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Bath, responded to this review, 3 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Royal Bath Hotel. We appreciate guest's comments and feedback. We very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will put a copy of your review on our staff bulletin board for all our staff to see your nice comments.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you to the Royal Bath again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
Horndean
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

We took a short break in Bournemouth to enjoy the good shopping and a trip out to Swanage using the chain link ferry at Sandbanks. The hotel remains as a typical grander seaside hotel encountered in the heyday of the British seaside holiday. The room was spacious and clean but showing signs of needing some refurbishment as the door lock was stiff to operate and the shower mixer tap didn't alter the water temperature from very hot. We had afternoon tea in the lounge which was pleasant although there was a little wait but the sandwiches and cake were good and the scones were nicely warm with clotted cream and jam. We also ate in the restaurant which was busy which caused some delays. The food was well cooked and prepared but we ordered white wine (Pinot Grigio) which was served at room temperature and, at first, not even with an ice bucket. However, to be fair, the bottle was replaced with another that was cooler and soon chilled down in the ice bucket that was produced. Overall, as this was a reduced price short break, the hotel was good and comfortable, if in need of some redocration, and could be considered a little pricey if having to pay the full amount for a stay.

Wimborne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

My husband and I booked a one-night stay in your hotel, arriving Tuesday 29th January. We were very much looking forward to this break as my husband’s health is very poor, and we thought it would make a lovely change for him, albeit only for one night.

When we arrived we had to wait a more than reasonable amount of time before we could register. There was just one receptionist on duty whose command of the English language and pronunciation was very poor and almost incomprehensible. This receptionist informed me that we would have to pay £12 to use the hotel car parking facilities overnight! This, we felt, was outrageous, and certainly did not happen when we have used the hotel in the past. Why was I not informed of this at time of booking?

We eventually found our room – No. 259 – after getting help from a staff member. The corridor signpost pointed to rooms to 258, then onwards from 263 – nowhere could we see where 259 was situated. This sign is misleading and should be corrected as a matter of urgency

The room was like a refrigerator, with no apparent signs of any heating, although the corridors were warm in the evening. We had to ask for a heater for the room. I rang Reception twice to request the heater but if was not forthcoming. I then went down and personally requested the heater. After over an hour, a heater was brought to our room. The towel rail in the bathroom did not work in spite of your man’s best efforts to turn it on.

In the bar I ordered tea, and it was brought in a thick china teapot with two thick china cups – no extra hot water, and cost £5! Again, this is appalling service and not the style expected of a 4 star heritage hotel. Any decent hotel would use good china on a tray. I went to ask for more hot water but there was no-one serving in the bar. I had to go through to the kitchen and eventually a maintenance man brought us some hot water. This is a disgraceful way for a guest to have to act. Also on sale was a chocolate cake, and when I asked the price, I was told it cost £6 a slice!!! This type of cake can be bought in M & S for £2.75 a slice.

Again, later on in the evening I went down to the bar, but again, there was no-one to be seen serving. This time I gave up and went back to our room.

Altogether this was not a good experience, and I rather think this hotel is living on its past reputation but this does not work in today's consumer conscious world. There are now some excellent hotels in Bournemouth, and I suggest the Royal Bath improves its standards quickly, before the damage is irrepairable. May I suggest they step across to the Hermitage Hotel for tea, and see how it should be done.

Needless to say, we will not be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you have any sense you won't stay at the Royal Bath at all!
2 Thank Joy114

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

My partner and I stayed last night and found it quite a disapointment.
We have stayed at the hotel before and found the staff friendly and eager to meet our needs. However on our most recnt visit I complained three times about the room being very cold and nothing was done we were just told the 'heating will be turned on shortly'....'the heating takes a while to warm up'.....'what would you like me to do about it?' I shouldnt have to tell people how to do their jobs. I have worked in both a 4* and 5* hotel and had I said that to a customer I would have been seriously reprimanded! The windows did not close properly and so the room was very cold and noisy it was all in all a dreadful nights sleep. We tried to go down for breakfast but waited 10 minutes without being see to so walked out. Generally a very unhappy visit.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rebecca H
Southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed over night only but when we went down to dinner we were turned away for not booking inspite of not having any information in the room or on arrival. Food was average for a quality hotel. Our room although pleasant overlooked the main road and was very noisy at night. Hot water was tepid at best in room and even in the spa. Was disappointed with the service........ the staff at the lower end were the friendliest and most courteous. We spoke to another couple who were not happy with the service either. Parking was not available unless we paid £20 but we found the public parking to be cheaper. Towels at the spa were also charged for. More like a 2star. Will not be staying there again.

1 Thank Shirley P
Bromley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Just had another overnight stay around a concert at the International Centre. The staff were all very friendly (bar one ...), and the room was clean with a good bed and large tv. A good night's sleep and I will be back soon. (This is not a boutique hotel but a typical seaside hotel in a good location with friendly staff - the building is old but that's part of its charm.)

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kentgirl_63
Salisbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

I stayed here with my partner at the start of January after booking through last minute.com, We were expecting good things after paying a fairly premium price considering how we had booked. First impressions were good, the hotel is in a great location, right next to the beach and an easy walk into the town centre. The building itself is large and has quite a feeling of grandeur. High ceilings and chandeliers are the first things you notice and the receptionist was helpful during check in. The room was large and had a decent sea view. However, there were still empty bottles and glasses outside the door from the previous guests. We stayed for 2 nights and chose to eat out both evenings so can't comment on the evening meals. We sat at the main bar for a couple of drinks each evening and were practically ignored by the barman unless we stood up and practically waved at him, considering at times we were the only ones at the bar this was disappointing. When we asked to charge the drinks to our room, he seemed very put out. Similar story at breakfast, no one seemed to be around to seat us so as it was a buffet breakfast we sat down at an empty table, we had finished eating bresakfast by the time we were offered a drink. The car parking is £20 per night at the hotel but there is a public car park right next door which costs half that. In summary, if the hotel employed experienced staff rather than students trying to earn a bit of beer money it could be a much more enjoyable place to stay!

1 Thank lauren d