“Take strong note of the reviews !!”

Royal Bath Hotel & Spa
Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Take strong note of the reviews !!”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Took my parents of 82yrs of age (mothers birthday ) for a posh treat blow the expense we thought. I read the reviews and thought ah well you cant please everyone there were a few decent ones ( more bad than good) but the good were glowing so of we went..........OH DEAR a very expensive mistake.
Room was pre booked as my mother is disabled requested a ground floor room (was booked six weeks in advance was told we had it) on arrival we were given a second floor room
.....no remote for telly took 4 requests in 2 days to get one .......minimal tea/coffee making facilities ............poundshop toilet paper...........and the food well what can i say bland tasteless and cold, flask tea and coffee, what a shock to the system thinking we were going somewhere posh and refined i have stayed in better guest house .........on a good note the bed was very comfy and the porter Gary very helpful and cheerful .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank karen c
Mike R, Public Relations Manager at Royal Bath Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
I was saddened to read about the issues that you experienced whilst staying at the hotel for which I do apologise. I have spoken to housekeeping in reference to the facilites in your room and I shall be making sure that these do not reoccur in the future. We have recently apoointed a new head chef who is already turning the kitchen and restaurant around, also alongside our new Restaurant and Operations Manager who are there to strengthen the team and staff and standard immprovements. Thank you for your comments in regards to the comfy bed and our lovely porter Gary, it is only through feedback that we can improve our service and standards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My wife and I recently visited the Royal Bath on two separate occasions, in each case the experience was identical. While the building is clearly impressive and the health & spa area worked well, the overall service received was truly poor to non-existent. Car parking took 30 minutes, car collection also took (nearly) 30 minutes, afternoon tea was a shambles, dinner fell well below our expectations (we had pre-ordered a vegan meal, but it was nowhere in sight), breakfast buffet was reasonable. Above all, we were shocked to hear so many members of staff complaining about their own management and about the change of hotel ownership, while every single manager we spoke to paid lip service to our constructive complaints.
Very disappointing, never again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keith R

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Fortunately the stay at Royal Bath was merely overnight, otherwise I would have complained the moment we entered our double room.

Such a glaring disappointment after the royal entry to the hotel, the room was tiny, with an inset en-suite without a window. The ceiling to the room was wallpapered with woodchip wallpaper which was peeling heavily down each strip side, while the furniture in the room was battered and old.

The bathroom had orange peel on the floor from previous guests and the toilet wouldn't flush properly. The sink wouldn't stay filled up with water when the plug was in.

The bed *was* comfortable, but I didn't dare take a look at the mattress or what sort of bed it was.

The floorboards squeaky and although we didn't pay for a sea view, we would be disappointed if we had expected one. You could maybe pick out a dot of water in the far yonder if you squinted and looked through the buildings and trees.

After all this, I needed a hot drink - only to find the awful UHT milk cartons, unnamed coffee and some unknown tea bag brand. Royal in the name of the hotel and they couldn't even provide a milk jug upon arrival, a decent selection of PG Tips or Twinings! No biscuits either, as a side note.

The breakfast in the morning down in the dining room was lovely, although the waiters serving coffee to the tables could do with a shower, I don't fancy breathing in rank body odour while I am trying to eat, first thing in the morning.

The hotel may have been open since the coronation of Queen Victoria, but they could have refurbished it since then.

Old, worn down, cracks showing in every place - this hotel needs some money put into it. I would advise taking each wing one by one and using the money they are obviously coasting on from conferences to refurb and hugely upgrade the rooms.

After that, sort out the carpet throughout. Threadbare is NOT a royal look!

3 Thank TheCaraSutra
Luttre
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I was travelling to Bournemouth for business and was booked in this hotel because the hotel where I stay usually (The Marriott) was fully booked. Unfortunately, this very beautiful building, which was a previous 5 stars hotel, is ideally located in Bournemouth with a very nice garden and a see view but it is clearly suffering from a very bad management and a critical lack of maintenance. It is fair to say that the hotel is relatively old but this does not excuse for the significant lack of cleanliness that I have noticed not only in the rooms but also in various places in this hotel (dust, spider webs …). My experience there was close to a nightmare although the price that you pay is above 130 GBP for one night. I was first given a very small room with a view on the restaurant which would have obliged me to keep the curtains closed all the time. Then the room was really dirty with dust and dirt marks everywhere, a low quality for the bedding and the cupboards, spider webs in each corner and a tiny bathroom with equipment dated the 70’s. I complained to the reception and was given an other room at the first floor which was much bigger. But again the cleanliness was very poor, there was lots of dust, the bathroom was poorly equipped, the remote of the television was missing and, as a cherry on the cake, there was a spot of urine on the toilet bowl! A short note on the breakfast: low quality food, bad coffee, industrial croissants and toasts and very limited choice. Finally, the employees of the hotel are clearly not professionals but, with all respect, look more like low salary employees as they clearly have no service skills and poor client focus. Conclusion: never again and please avoid staying there if you can. This hotel is clearly not a 4 stars and may even not compete with some 3 stars ones that are available in its close neighborhood. Message to the owners: it is urgent time for you to take action.

Room Tip: If you really need to stay, please avoid rooms at ground floor and especially 50 and 51
3 Thank michel b
Potters Bar
Reviewed 19 June 2013

such a beautiful location but this hotel was really disappointing. For a start the hotel car park cost £20 per day!!! Local car parks were expensive at £12.50 for 24 hours but we were horrified at their £20. Bedrooms were fine, maid banging on the door at 8.30 was not. Breakfast was dull and unimaginative and tea was served from a thermos by the waiter. Need I tell you how bad it tasted. Sort out some teapots Royal Bath please! The evening meal was tasteless. Price wise, it wasn't bad, but we were not sure how the chef managed to produce a totally tasteless Prawn Cocktail. Finally, the gardens were lovely and well tended and we were blessed with great weather - but- the cushions on the lounging chairs had lost their ties so the cushions just slipped off when you sat down and you couldn't sit on the wooden chairs as the seagulls had got there first. I asked at Reception whether they could be cleaned and was told they would be, but 2 days later nothing had happened. All of these things could be fixed so easily (apart from sacking the chef!) so why not Royal Bath??

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank HelenF1945
blackpool
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I was visiting Bournemouth on business and booked an executive room on the Wine and Dine offer. First warning is that if you call the booking phone number they will try to sell you a full price room rather than offer the special offers. The full price room is extortionately expensive and the sales person will try to tell you that this is the best rate. Try to book online if you can or insist on the offer price.

If you manage to book a room just watch out - my room was small, poorly furnished, and needed cleaning. not at all what I expected. I called reception to check it was an exec room and they confirmed it was . When I checked the internet the room advertised as a standard room was my room - my room was the image on their web site for standard rooms --- standard not executive at all. I called reception again and was told I couldn't change rooms as the hotel was full. This is just a total rip-off. I paid extra for the room and was given a room clearly advertised as a standard room on their web site. it is still shown now!!

Hotel is very old and needs re-decorating. My room was poor and needed a good clean.

Don't book the wine and dine package the food is terrible and dining room like something from Hi-De-Hi. Very poor quality. Breakfast was good. Hotel staff are friendly but the management just useless.

Pool was freezing and changing rooms minging.

My advice - go somewhere else !!!

If you must stay here then double check your room as you check in and then be prepared to move if you need to. I am going to re-claim the cost from my credit card - I was ripped-off.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
3 Thank adamjadam
Addlestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

In response to the previous review the Royal Bath is a 4 star but was told by a member of staff that it is a 'SELF ACCREDITED 4 STAR'.
Our orginal booking was on a different date and the royal bath were good enough to change our dates to the weekend of the 15th and 16th. That unfortunately was the best comment we have for this hotel!!!
We were on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate and had such a shocking experiance in the restaurant on the friday night we had to complain to the management. They took a little persuading however and we were finally given the opportunity to eat in the oscars a la carte restaurant which we accepted and actually enjoyed but of course at their expense.
The room was of ok standard considering the age of the hotel however the bathroom had seen better days im sure. What looked like rust in the bottom of the bath was enough to put us off using it!
Still the hotel has a certain charm about it but we feel a little more care and attention is required and with the summer months looming we would expect to see a few more bad reviews coming there way.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nealt243
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Bath Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
After reading your comments it is apparent that you have received poor service, which there is no excuse for. An Operations Manager has been appointed to further strengthen the team and our standards for the future. Along with this new change we have recruited a restaurant manager to make our restaurants more efficient and the training of staff.
I am sorry to hear about the appearance of the bedrooms, as this hotel is 184 years old and since we have taken over, please understand we haven’t managed to get to every room in the hotel just yet to do a refurb. Thank you for contacting us, it is only through customer feedback that we can continually monitor, maintain and improve our services.