“Awful, stay on the beach ”

Royal Bath Hotel & Spa
Ranked #58 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Please dont stay here, your have a better time on the beach, the owner really doesnt care about it and all he wants is your money. Over priced rooms, the spa was really nice...once now its a complete mess, as is the rest of the hotel...also adviod the housekeeping manager, shes nasty just gets involved in things not even related to her!, so please just stay away and save your money

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Matt P

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed 2nd-5th Dec.
Business trip,so finding no wifi was a big blow.It had been down a fortnight;no one knew when it would be restored. More importantly no one seemed to care.I had to work fro McDonalds down the road. Surely we should have been informed either prior or on check in.No wifi for a protracted period in a 4 star hotel is,in these days, quite unparalleled.The lack of interest in this fiasco spoke of an unmotivated staff; and a hotel I think is being managed out. My query about a partial refund brought nothing except a smirk.

The breakfast was poor at any level-barely acceptable.

Only good points were the leisure club and location.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony and a nice sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank NIGELRADCLIFFE
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I booked a stay at the Carrington House hotel (Britannia Group) for a two day stay. My booking was based on the fact the website claimed Free on-site secure parking and wifi. On route to the hotel (day of arrival) I was phoned and told that I had been 'upgraded' to a room at the Royal Bath Hotel (Britannia Group) and to arrive there.

On arrival I was informed that there was no on-site parking and that I should park in the local un-secured public car park at a personal cost of £12.50 per 12 hours - (The meter required a you to visit it each 12 hours!).

I was then given the keys to my room, On opening the doors I was welcomed by a stiflingly hot broom cupboard that had no ventilation, the room was so small you had to walk into the room sideways! There was no wifi available.

I raised my concerns with the duty manager who found these issues humorous and said that any issues should be dealt with by the original hotel. I was told that both hotels were fully booked so I could not be moved.

On return home I raised this issue by way of formal letter, I was promised a refund and now nearly 4 months on and lots of phone calls later I have still not received this.

If you get offered an 'upgrade' it is far from it, I believe the Britannia Group are deliberately double booking rooms on the basis that people will drop out, unfortunately I did not and had to bear the consequences!

Room Tip: Don't go into room 0610!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Tony B
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel is a shadow of it former self. Now run by the Britannia Group it adjoins the Corporation Car Park which is nearly as expensive as the hotel car park, which charges £20 per day. The Restaurant has a good menu, but while the table service is good, the products are not and some items on the card are not available. The pool is good, but the bar is overpriced and staff indifferent. The bar staff appear to find their customers irritating around 11 pm and even a cup of tea is not available after 10 pm. Our bedroom was adequate and clean, but overall feel that apart from location this hotel I feel that the rating is no better than 3 stars.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Broker3
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My comments refer principally to our one night stay in the new west wing- a new addition to the hotel built down to a price and not up to a standard. The walls are paper thin and you will hear every intimate detail of your neighbours; full marks for stamina as it went on for over an hour! There was no central heating which the management must have already known as the was an oil filled radiator in the room. Unfortunately that didn't work and a replacement was eventually supplied.The fire door in the corridor had no door stop so banged on our wall followed two seconds later by it slamming shut as the door closer did not function properly! The "view" from the window was a rising roof 6 feet away with some assorted building materials, cigarette ends and a used condom. The coffee was undrinkable and of a kind not tasted in this country for 30 years (retro?). Parking full up but it costs £20 anyway; you can park next door for £12.50 for 24 hours. I delayed posting this review until I received the promised phone call to deal with my representations but, not surprisingly ,it never came.

Room Tip: Avoid the west wing
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank peter l
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here this weekend on a Groupon deal (£159) After reading reviews on here we were a little concerned, However they soon disappeared after we arrived when we were upgraded (FOC) to a sea view room which was faultless & spotlessly clean, We had the evening meal included with the deal on arrival night which was a selection of 4 starters 4 mains & selection desserts which were ok something for everyone & house bottle of wine included. Breakfast was also included we ate early 8.00 ish saturday which was excellent due to very few people eating however Sunday 9.00 hrs was manic due to a lot more people, my tips to owners would be to move toast machine away from cooked area to reduce queues for hot food. We also used the pool which was warm & clean. Overall the place was spotless, all of the staff we encountered were very helpful & we would definitely return again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wiltsfamily
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed last week for a 2 night mid-week break. Despite some of the negative reviews, we had a very pleasant stay; our spacious room had fabulous views overlooking the gardens, sea & pier, the leisure facilities were very good (we used the gym, pool and jacuzzi on both mornings).
The hotel's location is also very good, very close to the sea, but also just a short walk through the gardens to the town centre.
The only real downside was the breakfast buffet; the food was only lukewarm in spite of being under 'warming lights', the sausages weren't cooked on the first day, and there was no bacon at the time we arrived. On the 2nd morning my wife picked a sausage that tasted very odd - possibly off?
Also, the hotel Wifi was out of action, although with so many places doing free wifi this was not a major problem.
However, these were small issues with an otherwise enjoyable stay (and v good value @ £110 for 2 nights B&B), in a grand old seaside town hotel with plenty of history & character.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple