“Give it time and give it a chance!”

Royal Bath Hotel & Spa
Ranked #59 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We grabbed a Groupon deal for one night, we have stayed at this hotel previously prior to the 'Brittania Group' now owning it. Nothing has changed regarding the hotel itself but the staff are definately better and much more accomadating. Gary the valet was so friendly and helpful, and under such pressure at peak change over times. The hotel in its day must have been spectacular and could be again, but knowing the 'Britannia Group' it will stay very basic and under staffed. Thats their business plan and it works for them, albeit a shame to see it turned into another bargin basement hotel. Brittania please make it your flagship hotel and bring back the glamour!

Other points are that the buffet was inedible due to the fact that there were so few people staying at the hotel that the food was sitting under heat lamps for hours prioir to being eaten.

For what we paid i think it was fair, yes I'd return but it won't be our first choice, it needs bringing into the 21st century and yet bringing back the glamour and style of days gone by.

Oh the parking charges are far too expensive!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank David P
There are newer reviews for Royal Bath Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 12 December 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed for 2 nights end November. No water, no internet, no heating and windows jammed open!

Our room was very small so we aked for a larger one, but told all same size, but our friends whom we suggested hotel to came for one night and their room was twice the size!

Nothing could be charged to the room and had to be paid in cash on the spot, even the £20 per day for parking.

When we complained we were told there were no complaint forms, the manager was unavailable and we were given a false email address for customer services.

In the latest correspondence, the manager has responded not by answering our issues, but saying they cannot find our booking, even though we gave them them the reference number, dates and room number.

A hotel to be truly avoided if you want a relaxed enjoyable time. Years ago the hotel was very good, but now it's downhill all the way!!

Room Tip: Don't accept what the receptionist says, that the rooms are all of the same size and quality. I...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sara and Chris J
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Greeted on arrival to find that the parking would be £20 but was kindly directed to parking area for £2 a day half a mile away.

Only one person on check in so had to wait for a while. When I checked in I asked for the wifi details but was informed it wasn't working - would give me no idea when it would be. I was also on a business trip so this was a huge blow. Judging by previous comments I can't help but wonder if they do in fact even have wifi.

My room was a good size with a nice sea view, but was very dated and unbearably hot. Floorboards very creaky in room and corridor. Overall the hotel is very grand but needs a huge overhaul in terms of fixtures and fittings.

The bar area was nice and large but was understaffed at all times. Server insisted that nothing to could be put on a room and each drink needed to be paid cash or card, regardless of how many times I explained it was an expense account.

Food was disappointing - not keen on a buffet dinner and breakfast was poor - overcooked and cold.

Overall, it is clear that this used to be one of the stalwart great hotels in Bournemouth, but that was 20 years ago and it needs to update and move with the times.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Ribshack
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Please dont stay here, your have a better time on the beach, the owner really doesnt care about it and all he wants is your money. Over priced rooms, the spa was really nice...once now its a complete mess, as is the rest of the hotel...also adviod the housekeeping manager, shes nasty just gets involved in things not even related to her!, so please just stay away and save your money

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Matt P
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed 2nd-5th Dec.
Business trip,so finding no wifi was a big blow.It had been down a fortnight;no one knew when it would be restored. More importantly no one seemed to care.I had to work fro McDonalds down the road. Surely we should have been informed either prior or on check in.No wifi for a protracted period in a 4 star hotel is,in these days, quite unparalleled.The lack of interest in this fiasco spoke of an unmotivated staff; and a hotel I think is being managed out. My query about a partial refund brought nothing except a smirk.

The breakfast was poor at any level-barely acceptable.

Only good points were the leisure club and location.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony and a nice sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank NIGELRADCLIFFE
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I booked a stay at the Carrington House hotel (Britannia Group) for a two day stay. My booking was based on the fact the website claimed Free on-site secure parking and wifi. On route to the hotel (day of arrival) I was phoned and told that I had been 'upgraded' to a room at the Royal Bath Hotel (Britannia Group) and to arrive there.

On arrival I was informed that there was no on-site parking and that I should park in the local un-secured public car park at a personal cost of £12.50 per 12 hours - (The meter required a you to visit it each 12 hours!).

I was then given the keys to my room, On opening the doors I was welcomed by a stiflingly hot broom cupboard that had no ventilation, the room was so small you had to walk into the room sideways! There was no wifi available.

I raised my concerns with the duty manager who found these issues humorous and said that any issues should be dealt with by the original hotel. I was told that both hotels were fully booked so I could not be moved.

On return home I raised this issue by way of formal letter, I was promised a refund and now nearly 4 months on and lots of phone calls later I have still not received this.

If you get offered an 'upgrade' it is far from it, I believe the Britannia Group are deliberately double booking rooms on the basis that people will drop out, unfortunately I did not and had to bear the consequences!

Room Tip: Don't go into room 0610!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family