“Disappointed”

Royal Bath Hotel & Spa
Ranked #58 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Just thought I needed to jot down a few thoughts on this 4-star establishment.
My partner & I received a gift voucher for a weekday night here. As she's from Poole next door & knew of the Hotel, which she had passed many times in her youth & wondered what it would be like, it being considered one of Bournemouth's premiere hotels, we jumped at the chance.
It certainly is an impressive building with valet parking available, large rooms with balconies & lovely sea views, however that's as far as it went for us.
Whether the service & food allowed for the fact that we were there on the cheap I don't know, but it was no better than your average 2 or 3 star place. The menu was uninspiring, the cooking & service average, indeed I've had better at travel lodges. The bed seemed large but was 2 singles put together. At first sight the decor was impressive, but with a closer look you could see it was tired & needed some TLC. During an insipid breakfast with re-heated food & drink the staff were moving furniture around arranging for a function later in the day. If we had been paying full rates I would have complained then & there. This was not a 4-star experience!

Room Tip: Insist on a sea view, this way you are guaranteed a balcony, ideal for smokers & loungers. The...
3  Thank Marc E

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Spent 4 days over the Christmas period here had my doubts after reading some of the reviews but decided to go for it.on arrival the car was parked for us and check in was quick and our luggage taken to our room.
The room had a sea view and was plenty big enough it was clean and was serviced through out our stay. The evening meal was fine and table service very good,breakfast was self service which was also fine.
All in all no real complaints enjoyed our christmas stay with a free bottle of champagne and present from Father Christmas.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John O
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Recently returned from a two night stay.

Having not been to this hotel for probably 10 years, and reading reviews about its rapid decline, I was just a little concerned we would be disappointed.

However, those doubts were quickly squashed on entering. A lovely, warm and welcoming reception area with a wonderful Christmas tree as centre piece.

For the price of room (£55 b&b per night) it was great - it even had an unexpected sea view.

Breakfast was lovely. Full English help yourself style, fresh juices etc. Although we didn't have evening Dinner, menu looked great and very reasonably priced.

Didn't make use of the leisure spa but looked nice.

A great base for any trip to Bournemouth.

Very much looking forward to returning in 2014.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

My wife and i Stayed here for 4 days over Xmas.
Not impresed.
After 15 flight from Thailand .
One hour Journey from Airport Home.
2 Hours to Unpack & repack.
a 4 Hpor Journey in The dark inthe rain & wind

I was looking Forward to a nice Meal and a Good Sleep

Went down to dinner at 7.30pm
White Onion Soup (Disgusting)
Beaf in some sort of sauce
Beaf over cooked but my Wife at in includin g the meal she had
So i had had no food for nearly 12 Hours.

The 2nd night the Soup Spicy Parsnip very nice
I had the fish which i thought was under cooked
even my wife would not eat it.
when the waiter cleared the plates he looked
and said have you finished sir .
I said i cannt even start the fish is no cooked
it was like that every night
When i checked out the girl on the check out said
i hoped you enjoyed your stay.
I said i had not and a letter to mansager will follow
They had all these weird and wonderful soups
but nothing basic like Tomatoe or Ministrone.

The xmas dinner was a laugh.

I thought there would Be Turkey /Ham.all the trimmings.
Not so
The Turkey consisted of a few slices piled up to make it look a lot
No roast potatoes & ONE YES ONE Brussel Sprout

a total waist of money
I should have stayed in Thailand

Room Tip: We had a nice Huge Room on 2nd floor with a view of the Sea
1  Thank elraymondo
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Don't even look at the hotel when you pass it. Disappointed is the right word. I wish I had listened to everyone when they said this hotel had gone down the drain.

The valet parking never showed and after 30 mins of being in the room and coming down to go out for dinner our very expensive car was still sat outside, along with someone else's and I had to specifically ask for the valet and got an attitude in return like I was asking to put my diamonds and fur in the hotel safe!

On top of going downstairs there were, what looked like, two homeless people wrapped in blankets in the hall way. Maybe the valet was cold.

The hotel decor is extremely outdated and room directions are sometimes labelled funny.

The room was appalling ( see pictures), it's not a real four poster bed, the furnishings are old, chipped, stained and general tatty and out of place. The entire bedroom floor creaked, you can't access the wifi as the page doesn't load properly, I tired 4 times.

There is no water for the night or morning and the noise from outside, which we think were wheely bins were a pain.

Overall it isn't worth any bodies money.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank sebastian G
Reviewed 20 December 2013

2nd time staying at hotel. Last time was really lovely, but did not enjoy the stay so much this time. On arrival great welcome from concierge Gary and receptionist, i think her name was Stephanie. Given a lovely room with excellent view of the sea. Problems were the room temperature. Windows didn't open, so hardly slept as stuffy and really hot. Staff unable to do anything as heating turned on at certain time of the year.
The food served for breakfast was appalling. 'Juices' were not fresh, and fruit served was obviously tinned. Would have been nice to have good bread but only plain sliced bread available. I walked around the breakfast bar 3 times trying to choose the best of a bad choice, just not nice when you've paid to stay in a hotel like this.

Wouldn't stay again.
Good hotel....gone downhill!

4  Thank Nefrett
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I got a voucher deal for this place for a pre Christmas break with my mother. For what we paid it was acceptable, but had we paid the advertised price I would have been seriously unimpressed! Main points:

Good
- Location excellent
- Lovely sea view
- Main areas of hotel attractive and well kept
- Food was good, especially breakfast

Bad
- £20 additional charge for car parking
- Extra charge for towels in the spa
- Jacuzzi and steam room not working when we visited, and spa overall not warm or very nice, especially showers
- 5 am fire alarm went off, no acknowledgement of this or apology
- Service overall pretty poor

It is a beautiful building and the main areas were lovely, but despite the hotel being almost empty we had been put in a room in what was clearly the down market wing - the actual room was nice but the (long) corridors and stairs leading to it were a total maze, poorly signed and got shabbier the further into the hotel you got. The spa could be lovely but it was barely functioning, shabby and poorly heated during our visit. Extra charges for towels and parking felt like a rip off and not in line with the standard of hotel we had been expecting. This place could be lovely but it needs to up its standards and is in dire need of some TLC.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family