“mixed thoughts”

Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Somerset, United Kingdom
“mixed thoughts”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Having stayed at this hotel around 15 years ago, was really looking forward to going back. Firstly arrived but guy on reception new and foreign, wasn't really sure of what he was doing. Gave us wrong room and also wrong vouchers for meal/wine so after 2 return trips eventually found our room (not easy - even worse for our friends and no info given) However, our room was very pleasant, ok decoration, spacious, pleasant bathroom, just wished we had upgraded to sea view as our friends had andviews lovely. Very pleasant hotel generally, lovely position and convenient for everything. Food was disgusting, even breakfast, couldn't even tell difference from tea/coffee! Staff in bar very pleasant andhelpful. Car park ridiculously overpriced. If go back, which we would, just don't eat there. Hotel please takenote chef/restuarant needs seriously looking at.

Room Tip: 223 ok but facing front
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sally B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This Hotel is in need of updating Doors look Shabby carpets worn Dining Room old fashioned, our room was very small no outlook, on the plus side Staff were brilliant and very helpful Location great Parking nightmare

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrea J
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

went for my partners birthday paid for early check in, not ready not offered a refund on that. Room mould and damp on the ceiling, windows would not close, doors would not open, stain on the bedding. got locked out of the room for 2 hours as card wouldnt work but neither would the mastercards. Door crow barred open to get in. Theres more. Afternoon tea scones lovely if we had butter, jam and cream also obviously ran out of cake. Over nearly 5 hours later our afternoon tea plates were still left on the table. more staff than customers in this area. Theres more so much more but not enough space. new room we got locked in the handle fell off, health and safety, thank god no fire, so ring reception tried for over one hour no response. 3rd room lucky you would think well no we went home and didnt stay. forgot to mention we were told too late for dinner, but we couldnt get into our room to get ready for dinner. Management really didnt care i could just go on .........

1 Thank lisa D

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Alverstoke, Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Not the first time we have reviewed the Royal Bath and despite previous bad experiences, we decided to give it another go under the Groupon scheme. Very good deal at first glance with dinner, bed and breakfast and a bottle of sparkling wine. However, all was not good. Let me say that I know it was a Groupon deal and I know some will say 'what do you expect' but I expect the same level of service they would normally be expected to provide. These deal benefit both the customer and the hotels (in off-peak periods). We arrived on a Saturday afternoon (my wife's birthday) and had said when we booked it was a special weekend. When we got to reception, they gave us a key card but the room had been changed (see picture) from an executive room to what I assume they call a 'City room' - the reason given was that they were full and someone had booked and paid full price for the room we were originally allocated at late notice. Fair enough and I have no issue with that - but for goodness sake, print out a new card and we would have been none the wiser!!

The room was room 51 on the lower ground floor and was appalling - I have added pictures as proof so show it is not all sour grapes and made up. In short:
Bed mattress and base old, broken and uncomfortable with a huge dip my side. Had to sleep head to toe to get comfortable.
Curtains and tie backs ripped.
Cold draft blowing through French door and windows (had to use portable heater)
Lock plate broken on door and security chain would not fit (badly fitted)
Floor boards in room above really creaky to the extent you could not sleep if the occupants were walking around.
Bathroom 'tired' with fittings corroded and towel rail inoperative.
Non-matching furniture with at least one broken handle.

The dinner consisted of a buffet, served very inelegantly and just sloppy mass catering. Prawn Cocktail was a huge pile of watery, tasteless prawns on a platter with a few dollops of cocktail sauce on top. Salad bar (for want of a better expression) was uninspiring and the couscous smelt off. The mains reminded us of sloppy school dinners. Desert was a selection of Sarah Lee type gateaus (no offence), big bowls of profiteroles and what looked like some kind of crumble. We were both actually a little ill the following two days - cannot be sure it was this food though.
When we went to the bar to finish our drinks, we sat on a sofa with a huge rip in it, exposing the foam. The drink by the way, the one they market as a free bottle of sparkling wine, is in fact a very cheap and very sweet bottle of Perry (5.5% ABV).
The whole hotel creaks, carpets are threadbare and there are cobwebs adorning most of the light fittings. The dining hall (or Oscars Brasserie as they call it) is again like a school dining hall where you are pointed to rather than taken to a table.
OK - that is all pretty negative and I have to say the staff at reception and in the dining hall were all very polite and helpful - I could not help feeling sorry for the reception staff as they just seemed to have a queue of complainants each time I went up there. Breakfast, despite previous bad press in other reviews was actually really quite good - fresh, hot and tasty (once you had gotten to the front of the queue).
Wi-Fi was Ok in the room once connected - there is an inherent and known problem with Apple devices and you may need to go to reception to get it sorted if you are using I-pads or I-phones.
Parking is a ridiculous £20 a night. We didn't use it, preferring to park in the council park next door for £12.50 (have coins as the phone-up card payment is particularly protracted). There is cheaper parking if you are willing to walk.
All in all, a very poor stay. Come on Britannia - get your proverbial in a pile and sort it out. Whilst this hotel is NOT nor does it claim to be 4 Star - it certainly used to be. You should be a proud and prestigious hotel - at the moment, you are more like a cheap coaching inn.
If you do stay and are lucky to get a decent room and you eat out - you MAY have a better experience - advice is avoid Groupon deals here.
lastly, the very helpful receptionist let me write down all the room faults and asked for my e-mail address so he could get the manager to respond - Guess what.......... no surprise there then and indicative of the big company attitude to their customers!!

Room Tip: Do NOT get given Room 51.....!!!!
2 Thank jscivs
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I've used this hotel for years and have always enjoyed the grandeur feeling of the place. This was a fantastic hotel when run by the DeVere group of hotels, but since it has been taken over by Britannia hotels the quality has dropped. To be fair, this must be a very costly place to run, but if they don't keep up with the basics, then I doubt they will get the revenue required to keep this place going. Some of the biggest changes are with the restaurant where standards have really dropped and perhaps no better than a 2-3 star hotel. My message is please, keep this as the Grand 4 star hotel it should be. The widespread penny pinching here and there is noticeable and no worthy of such a majestic place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnPerkins
southampton
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Had an overnight stay here booked through Groupon. Paid an extra £30 to upgrade to a sea view executive room and we were very glad we did because the room was beautiful with a massive semi circular bay window overlooking the sea. The hotel is right on the seafront and the edge of the town centre so the location is perfect. The only thing that let the room down were the bath towels which were small and not very good quality. Nice fluffy bath towels or bath robes would make this a much nicer experience. Dinner was included in the price. This was 3 courses in the form of a buffet and while there was plenty of it, I found it all a bit ordinary. The red cabbage was actually quite unpleasant. Very nice public rooms though they were a bit chilly. We enjoyed our stay mainly because of the room and location and considering we didn't pay a lot it was good value for money all in all.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jackielucyg
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I would highly recommend that you DON'T bother paying to stay at the Royal Bath Hotel as it is tired, dated, low quality and extremely dirty.

We refused our first room as it was filthy dirty, was in a basement which looked out onto rubbish & we found items from the last customer in the room, clearly indicating it had not been cleaned.

On first impressions our second room was more acceptable as was much bigger & had a sea view, sadly when my husband lifted the toilet lid to find urine on the toilet seat, this was the first of many unacceptable findings! The room looked as if a child had painted it as it was splattered in paint, on the light fittings, floor, furniture & bathroom fittings. There was a bracket broken off the very tired looking dressing table & the window was full of condensation ( trapped between the double glazing) that you could barely see out!

It was when we looked at the bedding that we were absolutely disgusted by what we found. The matress was brown, yes BROWN, the matress protector was stained with bodily fluid & there was blood on the cover too!!!!! I felt sick looking at it, let alone the thought of staying in it!

The leisure centre is lovely with a very inviting warm pool. Sadly however the changing rooms were dirty with changing room doors that don't shut & lockers with broken keys & doors!!

Breakfast was not even nice, with cold food & giant tea & coffee canisters dumped on your table (mine had a dirty industrial catering blue cloth wrapped around the handle).

It was hideous & I took photos of all the issues raised, sent to Head Office, only to be told that if I would like to pay a further £50, I can return to the hotel to stay in a different room!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!!!! The hotel would be shut down given their lack of cleanliness if my photos were to be published, so to ask me to pay for another stay as their way of compensation is utterly unacceptable. I am speechless & have told them so!!!!!

I regularly recommend hotels to our business hotels and the only recommendation I will give about The Royal Bath is do NOT stay!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother as we viewed two rooms and they were both dirty.
3 Thank HayleyB596