“Very well situated for the sea-front”
Review of Royal Bath

Royal Bath
Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Very well situated for the sea-front”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I was at the hotel for business. The hotel is huge inside and very much a labyrinth.
Getting back to one's room can be a quest.
Like other Britannia group hotels that I've stayed in, they are very much stuck in a time and it isn't the 21st century. Saying that, there is free Wifi - about as fast as 3g though.
The room was good. The broken sash window wasn't a problem as the weather was good.
My room was very warm and whilst at reception (dreadfully under-staffed in the evening) a couple were complaining that their room was too cold.
Parking is at the rear of the hotel. However, it was crowded and I paid £12.50 for 24 hours of parking.
Breakfast was pretty good and they even passed the porridge making test - no honey though.
The room only cost £67 and you can't complain about that - especially a room with sea views and 5 minutes max to the sea-front.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night and won't come back for sure. Since we walked in everything went wrong, staff didn't really look like wanted help us to sort the problems out.
Dinner- was worst ever, food, service everything !!!
I wouldn't recommend to anyone!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I booked a 1 night stay as a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday using a groupon voucher. After checking the reviews on trip advisor I was a little anxious about what the hotel would be like, but took most of them with a pinch of salt and went ahead with the trip with an open mind. And I'm glad we did, we had a really lovely stay.

I'd heard about the expensive hotel parking, so we parked right next door for £12.50 for 24 hours.

On first impressions, the hotel and the reception / bar areas were very grand and in keeping with the style of the hotel.

All of the staff we encountered over our stay, in the reception, bar, restaurant and spa were helpful and friendly, so no complaints there!

Our room was much larger than expected! It was clean and spacious with possibly the largest and most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! We had a lovely see view from the room, a modern tv and tea / coffee making facilities and a lovely bathroom.
Some of the furnishings were admittedly a little out of date, however they were sympathetic to the age and style of the building and anything very modern would probably look out of place.

We ate in the restaurant from the a la carte menu, which was decorated beautifully. Our service was flawless and our food was also lovely. We also received a free bottle of bubbly which was a nice touch.

Unfortunately we missed breakfast as neither of us are early risers. Would have been nice if check out was a little later than 10am but this wasn't a major problem.

We both had a massage the following day in the spa area, the two girls giving the treatments were lovely and friendly, and the facilities were very nice.

For the price paid this was incredibly good value, and I wouldn't hesitate to return if I were to stay in Bournemouth again!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel was chosen for my friends hen weekend, so I felt responsible. Living locally I knew this hotel has the devere royal bath hotel for many years. Brittania what have you done.
Starting with the first of our rooms out of 3 that were booked was a newly refurbished room but with no windows and so tiny the 2nd room nice and big but had a mouldy ceiling and brown wart running in the sink. The 3rd room again big but with a balcony and a window that didn't close.
Dinner was a disaster, 3 courses with 3 choice of each and tea/coffee it said on the menu outside in a frame. But once sat it was buffet it was cold not fresh and no tea/coffee available. Each course was not cleared after we ate it and no more being bought out at 8.15 considering it was on until 8.30. The wall was chipping off over the Iceland looking puddings. Not in a cold cabinet either. The clearing station where lots of staff were was full of dirty plates but no one was clearing any tables. Does staff training happen at this hotel?
We were given a free bottle of wine after I complained but waited 20 mins for glasses, so I went and got them myself off the side. After a few drinks in town we came back to reception to try and get another room instead of the box room as we were told it was fully booked early. And the lovely member of staff at reception was checking for a spare room. The computer system was not correct as another guest had driven 6 hrs to find his room taken, after the 3 rd room they tried with guests already in them, he found a room. A room was found and our friends had a room with windows found too.
The night staff would bend over backwards but not the day staff!
The whole bar area at 1am was full of dirty glasses from that evening again no one clearing.
Breakfast was ok , slightly warmer than dinner but we were starving as dinner didn't fill us up so we ate. No croissants left and an hr left to go. How can this go so wrong.
Dinner was the same our 2nd night , barely warm food and Iceland puddings. Unless u eat out or get b&b don't bother.
The only positive was the pool area, nice temperature, great views and friendly staff on the pool reception.
Beds were not too bad the whole place needs a touch up and some serious staff training.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 106Lulu
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

fwgm. elderly single disabled guest. One week, March 2014

I had arranged a one weeks stay, before being alerted by my niece, of the negatve comments on tripadvisor. After reading a number of recent reports, I decided not to cancel, but make my own assessment.
Results.
Good.
Without exception, I found all the staff I came into contact with, both helpful and very pleasant.
My room was clean, large and had an unrestricted view of the sea and beach. I did however pay top price !
The lounge was spacious with comfortable armchairs. The large grounds had plenty of seating to enjoy on warm days.
Breakfast. A wide choice for a full English breakfast. I did not encounter any cold or uncooked food. A major concern after reading some reviews.
Negative.
Evening meals in the Brasserie were poor and limited in variety. I paid extra, and transferred to Oscar's. an excellent decision. Waitress service and vastly improved food.
I was awakened on two nights, around 1pm, by guests returning to their room. And on a further occasion around 3.30pm by the fire alarm. The latter due to a guest smoking in a bedroom. I do not think the management could be blamed. Unless you link it to the free champagne.
The hotel does have a careworn appearance, but although some of the carpeted corridors were well worn, I did not observe any dangerous threadbare areas.
In summary.
The hotel is now only a ghost of it's elegant past. If you decide to book, and your expectations are modest, you could be pleasantly surprised.
If you are using a special offer. £25 per person, with breakfafast, use of the pool and a bottle of champaign. Think of it as a great bargain,and don't look too hard for problems. If you are a lover of fine wine. I suggest you admire the bottle, but don't drink the contents.
I have a movement problem and use a walking frame. I coped, with the help of friendly staff and guests, but I must say very firmly that the hotel is NOT suitable for disabled guests.
All in all, I enjoyed my weeks stay. Mainly due to the helpful staff.
Would I book again in future. The hotel has recently been acquired from another hotel group. It is currently being refurbished. If this includes updating disabled facilities, the answer is a very positive Yes.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Frederick M
Spalding
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed at the royal and from the moment we arrived to when we departed we were well looked after. We had a beautiful room on the third floor overlooking the pier and the sea. A lot of people state that it needs an update but I was happy as it is after all it is victorian built the only thing I saw which could have been replaced was the stair carpet but it was not a danger to the public. Our room was clean with a comfy bed and tea making facilities with a wonderful view which is all I require when away from home. Breakfast had plenty of selection and I found very palatable, on our first night we upgraded to the restaurant for an extra price but the next night we ate in the brasserie which was even better. Thanks to all the staff especially Paul

Room Tip: I stayed in room 365
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Having made and paid for our booking before reading reviews, we were not looking forward to our weekend away.

We should not have worried, we were met at the hotel door by two porters who offered to take our cases and reception was fully staffed by 3 welcoming and friendly receptionists, our check-in was quick and easy. We had paid a little more to have a sea view room, which was of good size an quiet, yes some of the furniture was a bit dated, but it was all functional and the room was clean and and the bed comfortable.

We ate in the al la carte restaurant on the first night, the Maitre d was efficient and again friendly, we had a very enjoyable meal.

Breakfast was buffet style, we do agree the fried eggs were well done, but there was an option for scrambled as an alternative, which were fine.

The hotel is idealy placed a short walk to the pier and town centre, we parked at the adjoining public car park as this was cheaper, £12.50 for 24 hours, whilst the hotel wanted £20.

Overall, we had a great weekend, we did not experience any of the problems others seemed to have encountered.

We had booked on a winter break promotion direct with the hotel, and found this represented excellent value for money.

We will be back!