“5th April 2014”

Royal Bath
Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
“5th April 2014”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my fiancé stayed here for one night with two of our friends for a weekend break. The room was a good size; very comfy bed with extra pillows. Nice view even though it wasn't great weather. We didn't have any food during our stay. The pool was good, but it was quite cold, we went into the steam room and sauna although it wasn't great. The downfalls were that there was charges for the pool and steam/sauna, when we ran a bath, the water was a dirty yellow colour and the bath had stains in it. And our room lights went off twice due to the fuses but the second time we told reception to be able to sort it; they didn't. And we came back to a room with no lights. So it is okay, but if we do return then we will be staying in a very different room.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Checked in surcharge using debit card. Offered 20 pound to park in there car park. Its 12.50 in the carpark next to hotel. The gym was a extra 4.00 surcharge. My room 803 eastwing no windows and no clean air ventilation. Please stay away from hotel
From a soldier who stayed there and regrets terribly ive stayed in better tentage in iraq

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Mac1156

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

bournemouth
Reviewed 5 April 2014

£20 parking
£4 to use the pool
Extra for towels
Windows don't open or close properly-
Inflexible check out times
Extra £15 to check out at 12
Reception staff totally unhelpful
Fantastic porter Gary? Very helpful and apologetic
This hotel currently has no star rating
No surprise
Beautiful views and location

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank fanatic2
Hampshire
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Spa treatments were excellent although staff were a bit slow due to systems being down. Had this spa included in our dinner bed and breakfast and afternoon tea for one night 2 people (myself and mum as it was a mother day treat) got a nice superior room with balcony over the gardens and beach. Afternoon tea was delicious although they didn't ask what tea we would like just assumed we wanted English but my mum wanted earl grey and I wanted green tea. I got my green tea but mum was told they didn't have any earl grey. Scones were served warm and were delicious.

Dinner buffet didn't look very good so we paid £20 extra and ate in the oscars restaurant which I would recommend as people didn't seem happy with the buffet dinner and the food we had was presented nicely although they got one item wrong on the menu Brie and cranberry wellington is actually spinach and cranberry but still very nice.

Mostly what was disappointing was in the bar after dinner. When I'd decided which cocktail I wanted after studying the menu I was told the staff weren't trained to make cocktails!!! JOKE!!! There were three of them behind the bar but were obviously a waste of space if they couldn't make something as simple as a Bellini cocktail. I even told them how to make it but no they couldn't and I complained to reception and they made a call but still didn't get anywhere so that is really appalling for an alleged 4 star hotel.

Breakfast for me was fine but I. Made the right choice in skipping hot food and went with crossants toast and fruit salad which you can't go wrong with but mum had fried eggs mushrooms and sausages which were apparently really dry and the worst breakfast she had ever had but couldn't eat it as it was so inedible so that made us realise we made the right decision in skipping the buffet dinner. But really bad that food had been left out so long it had dried up.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I guess your experience will depend on which room you stay in... Room 804 should not be classed as a 'standard' room in my opinion.

I've stayed in a number of hotels and have never been in such a small room without a window!
I'm pretty sure it used to be a storage cupboard.

I opted to book direct with the hotel rather then the groupon offer (which can be a bit hit or miss depending how hotels use them) but that didn't make a difference.
As expected, when we called reception to move rooms, the hotel advised they were full.

- The room was next to a fire door that slammed shut very loudly every time someone walked through it.
- We had to shuffle sideways between the end of the bed and the radiator to get to the other side of the room
- Couldn't leave luggage on the floor as it would just be a trip hazard
- It became really quite stuffy and with no window its not a place you want to be if you are a little claustrophobic!
- Dinner was included - a buffet - The info I saw online was a 2 course meal so I think they could be more specific - not to our choice but I'm sure my dad would have enjoyed it as part of one of his coach trips
- The waitress felt equally embarrassed when having to ask us to pay the drink bill straight away as she delivered the drinks and were were half way through our meal

On a plus note, the shower was great!

Its a shame, the hotel has so much potential and could be really lovely as you get a lovely feel when you first walk into the lovely open bar area - sadly I think maybe its had its day and they are just trying to make money out of old cupboards too!

Room Tip: Ask for a different room if they give you room 804!
portsmouth
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Had a one night stay 25/03/14 booked online and enjoyed the hotel which is in terrific position, we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite which was brilliant! the cleanliness was 100%, huge bed, flat screen tv, soaps & gels in the en suite bathroom (HOT water) patio doors to the lovely gardens & in the distance a view of the sea all made me want to stay longer :-)
The receptionist at check in time (3pm) was excellent but under pressure and could have done with a hand for an hour. The evening receptionist was also helpful & polite. the chirpy porters also happy to help. (we left our bags with them at 1pm and went for lunch)
on the downside I found the wi-fi poor and the car parking expensive, valet £20, public car park next door £12.50 for 24 hours..... but hey!!

Room Tip: we had room 63
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Just returned from a long weekend at The Royal Bath and what a super time we (myself, husband and dog) had - 3 nights, dinner bed & breakfast with a bottle of wine each night with our meal for £270.50. The food was delicious with just enough choice. Our room had a sea view and was immaculately clean and the bed very comfy. Also, the staff (from cleaners to waiters to bar staff to receptionists to hall porter etc, etc) were very friendly and welcoming. We didn't have time to utilise the spa facilities so can't comment on that. We cannot understand the negative reviews - this is an old Victorian building being tastefully decorated. The position in Bournemouth also ideal, being right next to the beach which meant easy walking for us and the dog. We will return.

Pauline and John Botham
Cinderford, Forest of Dean.

Room Tip: We had room 370 which is at the rear of the building with a view of the sea and the pier.