“Much better stay this time with amazing seaview room!”
Review of Royal Bath

Royal Bath
Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Wolverhampton
“Much better stay this time with amazing seaview room!”
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed at the Royal Bath in September and although we had a lovely stay there, our experience was somewhat marred by the way we were treated in the spa.
So in November we decided to return and see if this time we had a better experience.
We had a much better stay!
We were given a Royal Executive Sea View Room (Room 366) in the Royal Wing,
which we later learned is the honeymoon suite and the best room in the hotel.
It was amazing, with bay windows facing the sea and hotel gardens and a lounge area with sofas and a massive flat screen television. The bed was so comfy and massive, and the bathroom had underfloor heating, with walk in shower and toilet and a big bath.
We even had a seaview balcony. I can imagine in Summer this must be breathtaking!
I have stayed in quite a few hotels in my time, and this room is simply the best hotel room I have ever stayed in. It even beats the Radisson Edwardian London and Newcastle Marriott rooms, and they were good. This was something else and simply set the tone for our stay and I want to thank Paul Spencer and his assistant Hollie for sorting this for us. It was superb.
I have posted some pictures of the room with this review, but they don't quite do it justice.
From what I have found out, the other Royal Executive Sea View Rooms are of similar standard to this, but without the lounge area, and instead a bigger balcony.
This type of room is head and shoulders above the basic rooms at the Royal Bath, so if you have the money I would certainly recommend this room.
We eat again at Oscars, which we didn't find too pricey and again it was lovely. We felt comfortable and it was in a relaxed atmosphere. The staff were friendly and not too obtrusive. The only minor points of the stay are the hotel does seem short staffed. Check in and out can be slow, and so can the service at the bar. We did chat to one of the barmen who was very apologetic, but he said they are short staffed.
Also, although the reception swiped my credit card for a tab, when I came to use the bar an hour later it still hadn't been authorised. As the barman was on his own, I had to go to reception and tell them about it. The receptionist was polite and apologised. She had a pile of people details to put through and mine was one of them.
I think if we hadn't been given the room we were given I would've complained about this, as it is embarassing and inconvenient, and it shouldn't happen in a former 5 star hotel.
I did see both managers around the hotel quite late at night, and both seemed approachable, so I can see they are trying to improve things at the Royal Bath.
The signs are looking good. Plus my Fiancee had a much better experience at the spa this time. The Royal Bath is a lovely hotel with charm and elegance, and with hard work I would really like to see it become a five star hotel again. If De Vere can improve staffing levels, efficiency and refurbish some of the rooms to be like Room 366, I'm sure it can!
Thanks.

1 Thank cjm24
RoyalBath, General Manager at Royal Bath, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
Thank you for taking some time to give me your feedback on your recent stay with us at the Royal Bath and I am delighted that upon your return visit your were able to appreciate our offerings in a much more pleasurable manner.

I am very proud of the 'Royal Sea View' rooms and I am pleased that you could also appreciate the luxury of these rooms and the stunning panoramic views from the balcony and bay windows.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your dining experience and that your finacee enjoyed our spa facilities, I have passed this feedback onto my team which always boosts morale and team spirit.

In contrast I am sincerely apologetic that the service that your received at Reception and the Bar was 'slow', I can assure you that I have personally addressed this with both departments and have recently appointed a Hotel Manager to oversee the operations within the hotel.

I very much look forward to wlecoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
Bedford
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Didnt even bother staying one night of the two nights booked. How dare this hotel claim to be a 4 star......Total waste of money. First room was nothing better than a backpackers hostel, the 2nd room was better, but the bathroom was so tiny, there really was not even room to get out of the bath safetly.

Dinner at Oscars not too bad, however when we couldnt even get a drink at the bar afterwards due to lack of staff, we decided to cut our losses and leave.

As we were booked for two nights, one being New Years Eve, you would have thought a refund would have been offered at lease for one night, would now steer clear of the whole of the Devere Group if this is anything to go by!! What a shame

1 Thank BedfordDisgruntled
RoyalBath, General Manager at Royal Bath, responded to this review, 6 January 2011
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to leanr that you had such a disspointing experience here at the Royal Bath hotel.

As with all feedback is it really useful for me to fully understand what happended so that I can speak with my team and address the issues to prevent the from happening again.

In order for me to investigate these issues please could you email my PA Kerry at: kerry.mcdonagh@devere-hotels.com so that we can look into this and get back to you directly to recompense your disappointment.

Once again, thank you for informing me of these issues so that I can ensure they do not recoccur.

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Hornchurch, Essex
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We visited the hotel 4 years ago and were disappointed with extremely slow service in the dining room. However, we thought that may have been a one off and because we love the grand old hotel ambience and the excellent position of the hotel, we stayed again between Xmas and new year.

We were both disappointed and saddened to see how the grand hotel has descended.

Upon arrival we decided to have tea and Dorset cake. After several chases we gave up after 1 hour 15 mins and went to a café over the road.

We upgraded to a bay window sea view, a big but tired room. The room was too hot (24 hours a day), with no heating control and only one window out of the six opening just a small amount.

Breakfast time saw the staff overwhelmed. Our tea and coffee took 45 min to arrive and we had long since finished breakfast. Us and every table around us were complaining about the service.

All five time we used the lounge, we had to go to the bar to make an order.

The pool and spa facilities are woefully maintained. The steam room was out of order both days we were there. On our second day, the sauna was not turned on. The poolside shower was a dribble, the Jacuzzi was not working properly (all the upper level jets not working) the changing room shower light was broke and there was no shower gel. Although there were temporary heaters all along the corridor, the staff wedged the fire escape door open (presumably they were too hot).

The porters, who took care of our luggage and car, were friendly and efficient. Although at £20 a day, it’s expensive.

Anytime spent in the reception area would be listening to someone else’s complaint. The staff were all apologetic (plenty of practice I suppose) as was the hotel manager when we checked out. The excuse that they were short of staff was only partially correct; there was a complete lack of management and organisation. We were offered another stay at the hotel FOC. Such was our disappointment, that we declined and instead accepted a discount.

1 Thank LenHx
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that these issues could not have been resolved whilst you were staying here at the hotel.

The standard of service and quality of product you received from my team is not indicative of our usual high performance. If I were to offer reasons for the shortcomings you experienced, they would merely be excuses and I am not willing to that.

I am disappointed that your experience and perception of our offerings has not been improved, and that once again you have been left with a similar experience as your previous stay 4 years ago.

I take every piece of feedback whether it be positive or negative very seriously here at the Royal Bath and would like to look into this further to understand why these issues arose during your stay and how we can improve on these areas. I would appreciate if you could email my PA Kerry direct with all of the information so that I can discuss with my team and look into the failings of the product offering you experienced. kerry.mcdonagh@devere-hotels.com
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2010

we stayed here last year,roughly about the same time of year,We dont ask for much,maybe a little acknowledgement now and then,and a nice smile would not go amiss.last year the welcome from theporters who met us as we drove in was very proffesional.Reception were busy but polite.When we asked the head porter Peter, i recall,for information off where to eat,the choices and help he gave was second to none,allthough he did try selling us oscars first.he booked our choice for us,and gave impeccable customer services,in fact the whole front team were very helpfull throughout..This time,was loke another world,rude porters,who seemed to ignore all and sunder,scruffy and not interested.female staff,just waltzing in from around the porters desk,barging past guests,and interupting conversations,bbefor walking out to have a "fag".no staff serving in the bar,no room service available at certain times.and the same decor faults as the last time we stayed..in whole you seemed to have gone backwards,its a shame, as this used to be a delightfull hotel,now i would recomend anyone to stay at the classier premier inn across the road,at least they speak.

1 Thank summercee
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Royal Bath hotel. I must assure you that these issues regarding my team have been taken very seriously. I have spoken to each department mentioned in order to ensure that this does not occur again. This does not reflect our standard service offerings and I am sorry to learn that during your stay our serivce offerings were not to our usual high standards.
London
Reviewed 5 December 2010

December 3rd/4th - height of the snow, we stayed in room 371 for two nights. The room had a sea view across the hotel's gardens. It was comfortable, warm and quiet. Despite there being wedding parties we heard nothing. The shower was powerful with instant hot water. Toiletries were Gilchrest and Soames, towels fluffy. Breakfast was amongst the best we have had in the UK in a large dining room with garden views and attentive staff. The hotel is centrally placed for Bournemouth attractions and shopping as well as dining out. The in-house restaurant, "Oscars" looked very expensive and we ate in Old Christchurch Road where there is a plethora of restaurants.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give you feedback on your recent stay with us at the Royal Bath hotel.
It is important to me to get feedback so that we are aware of what we are doing well and continue to do so, it is also a delight to be able to pass on your feedback to my team as it helps to boost morale.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again, hopefully in the not too distant future.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Valet parking was good but £20 a day is expensive. Excellent service at check in.

The location is excellent - so close to theatres, restaurants, shops, etc.

Afternoon tea in the lounge was lovely and the staff were excellent. There was a wedding group there at the same time but it wasn't a problem.

It took so long to be served a pre-dinner drink in the bar by the staff that couldn't be bothered that we didn't have time to drink it before dinner! Oscars restaurant is beautiful and we had a lovely meal there. The wine was not chilled when served, although it was put into an ice bucket. The service was fairly slow and frosty!

Breakfast is wonderful - all you could possibly want and although the coffee took ages to arrive, in general the staff were excellent.

We paid extra for a room with a sea view which was nice - it was all a little 'tired' but pleasant. An ancient tv but the ipod dock is a nice touch. I thought a lovely bath would be nice before going out for the evening but unfortunately, rusty brown water came out of the taps so I decided not to.

The main problem was the noise. Our room was next to The Bayview Suite. A party was in full swing when we returned from dinner and the very loud music continued until 1.45am and then the doors were banging and people shouting as they left, until 2 in the morning. I thought the Sunday night would be quiet and I would get some sleep but no! There was a storm and someone had left a balcony door open in the empty room next door and it banged constantly, I phoned down to reception and someone came up straight away to shut it. That just left the noise of our room door rattling all night in the draught.

This was a return visit for us after a few years away - we used to visit the hotel frequently. We were surprised to see how much it has changed. We would go back, it is such a gorgeous hotel - but we would make sure we didn't have a room next to a function!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments I am delighted to hear that you are a regular guest here at the Royal Bath and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Whilst you had a lovely stay, I am sorry to learn of the issues with slow drinks service and the water and noise problems, please rest assured that these matters have been looked into and addressed.

Once again thank you for taking the time to leave your comments of your stay as you can imagine it really is helpful to leanr of what we are dping well and things we need to focus on.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2010

For me this was a real trip back in time having stayed there on a number of ocassions as a child, not alot has changed which for me was good, BUT I guess by looking at some reviews that not so for others. It does have a feel of a proper grand old hotel and is ideally situated for Bournemouth centre, theatres, cinemas and the sea front. The food (breakfast) was excellent the staff were really friendly but not intrusive and our room was very spacious and well equiped, I had a really super stay and would defintately return. Next time for longer and to enjoy the spa.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments and so sorry I haven't repsonded sooner.

I am delighted that you had such a superb stay and that you could fully appreciate the character and grandure of the royal Bath.

Thank you also for you kind comments about my team, I have of course let them know as good feedback helps to keep everyone on track and foccussed in offering our guests the very best.

I look forward to wlecoming you back to the hotel and again delighted that you wish to stay for longer to appreciate our spa facilities also.