“The staff made every effort to be attentive to our needs.”
Review of Royal Bath

Royal Bath
Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
UK
“The staff made every effort to be attentive to our needs.”
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We, like so many, went to the Royal Bath with some trepidation after reading the reviews. However, our experience was very positive and we felt that all the staff were making every effort to be attentive to our needs and to make our 2-night stay as pleasant as possible. Our room was of a good size, and was clean and comfortable. We relaxed in the spacious lounge for morning coffee and took advantage of the free Wi-Fi (this was in our room as well). We enjoyed dinner at Oscar’s and retired to Wilde’s bar for after dinner drinks, which was very pleasant. We took advantage of leisurely breakfasts in the Garden Room. The choice was very extensive, including a selection of dishes cooked to order. A member of our party had a gluten-free diet, and was provided with bread before she’d even asked for it because the server had referred to her room number. The hotel overlooks the pier and although there is parking at the hotel, we parked in the public car park right next door because it was cheaper! We enjoyed our stay and would definitely make a return trip.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
RoyalBath, General Manager at Royal Bath, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
I am delighted to hear that you had such a positive stay with us and that mny team made every effort to be attentive to your needs, the team here is full of so may different characters that we value to have in our team and it is comments such as yours that reminds me of the wonderful team players we have making every effort to wlecome and look after our guests so thank you.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back here for your return stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Read the very mixed reviews with some trepidation as we had already booked for a night stay over a weekend. Initially our case went astray but was soon located, the wine in our room was corked, not in fridge and we had no means of opening it. Room was large and enjoyed sea view, (room 161), but the windows and furniture were tired and the floor boards were deafeningly creaky, The CH was very hot with no means of controlling it other than sleep with the window open. The staff were pleasant and helpful, and I found them to be mainly middle European and not local, the restaurant, Oscar's, had a pleasant atmosphere and we found the food to be good, Charges for car parking were itemised on the Guest Directory as £15 a day but we were charged £20, either way somewhat exhorbitant..
The valet service is time consuming, as the car waiting area outside of the hotel is capable of taking 3/4 cars and it backs on to a busy roundabout.
The hotel location is superb, very close to the seafront and only a ten minute walk from the town centre.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I apologise that the oversight of one of our 2010 guest directories was in your room, please note all of our car parking charges are also on booking forms and our website and the cost is in line with city centre hotels as unfrtunately parking space is at a premium, I am sorry that the service of our valet parking fell short and you were left waiting as this is not acceptable. I am pleased to hear you felt your overall experience was value for money.
Our heating system is being monitored so that we can maintain a comforatble temparature.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2011

The staff in all regards were efficient, curteous and attentive at all times. The food was to a high standard, rooms were spotless and the hotel location ideal. All in all, an enjoyable stay, so much so, I'm looking forward to returning for a social visit next time.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to hear that you share my positive views on such a beautiful old building yet with 'present' team members delivery good serivce, thank you for you comments about the food and housekeeping, I have ensured that these departments are aware of the positive feedback and we all look forward to welcoming you back another time soon.
Ashford Middx
Reviewed 31 January 2011

They say first impressions are important. On arrival we unloaded the car and dragged the suit cases to reception carefully watched by the consierge from inside. Once we were at reception he asked if we required any assistance with our bags! So far 0/10.
As we carried our bags to the room a very nice young man took over and escorted us to our room (nice). Room excellent, clean ,great views and free bottle of wine (my birthday). 9/10.
Evening, so we dropped down to Wildes bar for a pre dinner drink.... bar is now a restaurant so we were directed to the lounge for a drink. The lounge was full of the 200 people arriving for the evening 'do' in the hotel so the chance of getting served NIL 2/10.
As previously advised in my last review the lounge bar needs to get organised. It needs one senior person to do the orders and other staff to service the customers. My wife and I have stayed at 4* thoughout the world and always when you arrive in the bar/lounge the staff are coming across to ask if you require service. Not the Royal. At lunch we waited over an hour for one cream tea and the lounge was quiet. Heaven knows what the service is like when its busy, we didnt stay to find out. 4/10.
Breakfast as always at the Royal is super. One annoying thing is when you get milk with your tea the staff get from another table and not fresh. We saw this two or three times.
Health issues??
In the lounge bar I was overcharged for a glass of wine and when I questioned this the staff member said he couldnt find the correct one on the till so just charged us more!!!!
Charged for Newspapers that never arrived.
Would we come back....yes, but expect things to get better.
A Russell

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your birthday and I am pleased you appreciated the gift of wine in your room.
I am disappointed that you had a poor initial arrival to the hotel and this level of service you experienced really is not indicative of the porters usual high standards of welcoming and assisting our guests to the hotel.
I am also disappointed to learn that you felt your service was hindered due to an event we were hosting in the hotel, these shortcomigs are not acceptable from me and my team and we are working on this.
I am shocked to learn of the issue of the milk from breakfast and this has been looked into by adding to our crockery stock and also by regular breakfast audits internally, at least once a week. I am pleased that you always enjoy your breakfast here and have passed this positive feedback onto our chefs.
Mr Russell thank you for feeding this back to me, I have investigated all of your comments and would apreciate if you had the time to feedback your next stay direct to my PA Kerry so that I can peronsally review your next stay: kerry.mcodnagh@devere-hotels.com
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Arrival at reception was very good, and the hotel reception area looks superb. Then as you head further in the tiredness of the place escalates. I was upgraded (I think) into a suite (I had only booked a standard room) but there was no mention of the upgrade at reception. Whilst a suite, it was very basic with two sofas that look like they came from MFI.

The room was clean but just so old fashioned, and not in a quaint way.

The building is a bit of a maze, and whilst there is a map in the key card sleeve the receptionist didnt mention it so I didnt see that until I had finally navigated my way to my room.

Breakfast food quality was good but bearing in mind the space and number of seats in the Garden Restaurant, the serving area could do with being bigger. The staff were fairly neutral in terms of service. No hash browns at breakfast which was a shame - my favourite bit!

I would return but only if other hotels were more expensive or fully booked.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ChrisSussex72
Thank you for your feedback in particular you mention the mis-communication of my reception team, I am sorry to learn that during your stay you were not informed of your upgrade or how to direct yourself with the map on the keycard holder, this is a fundamental standard of our reception team and I am sorry for the mis-commuication upon your stay as this is not indicative of the teams usual performance, this has been monitored with interal audits since.
The hotel is indeed an old buidling and we are undergoing soft refurbishment to our bedrooms.
Thank you for your comments it is really useful for us to move forward.
Chester
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Stayting at this hotel whilst on business and like previous reviewers, had worried at what I might find. However, talked this through wiht thre managers prior to arrival and was placed in a nice quiet room overlooking the gardens and sea. Small-ish room that could get quite warm but with the window open, cooled off and could also hear the sea which was nice. Hotel is a little dated and the upkeep must be expensive and this shows at times. However, I was comfortable and the staff were really friendly and the food, though pricey, was of good quality. Some issues with the time it took to get served but again, this was more to do with the number of staff as opposed to their attitude. Only real gripe was that we had booked one of the rooms for meetings on two of the evenings and on both occassions, the drinks and snacks arrived over 30 minutes into the meeting which was disruptive and frustrating - particularly given we had reminded staff of the meeting previously and were exhausted after a long day anyway. All in all though, I felt some of the previous reviews may have been a bit harsh and my stay was really rather pleasant.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Your valued opionion is appreciated and thank you for taking time to reflect on your buisness trip here at the Royal Bath.
Indeed you have made a very valid point about some of our bedrooms as they are very tradtiional;however in keeping with the character of the property.
Thank you for your positive comments about the team and we have since looked into the lvels of staffing on areas such as the bar to ensure that waiting time is reduced.
I am sorry to learn about the timings on your breaks for your meetings and this has been addressed woth our Conference and Banqueting team, an oversight that should not have occurred and my apologies for this, I do hope that overall this did not reflect too heavily on your stay and I hope that you will choose to do buisness with us again in the not too distant future.
Christchurch
Reviewed 28 January 2011

The room was huge, comfortable but not very warm, the standard of the changing rooms in the spa were way below average standards although the gym and pool are fine. We booked Oscars, the fine dining restaraunt but on arrival we were told Oscars was closed and we had to go in the Garden suite ins read.
There were over a hundred diners and only four young female waiting staff who tried really hard but were over worked and out of their depth.
I non the less, gave a cash tip and removed the service charge from the bill. At check out there was a massive queue so we left. They charged us the service. Lastly, I had to go and find our room service breakfast that was forty minutes late and the staff were unapologetic!! Not possible to recommend this formerly grand hotel.

• Stayed January 2011
Thank you for taking time to feedback about your stay with us at the Royal Bath.
I am really disappointed to learn that you had such a poor stay with us and have spoken to my team about this, it would be really useful if you had the time to email your contact details to my PA Kerry: kerry.mcdonagh@devere-hotels.com so that I can feedback to you peronsally and resolve this as it would be such a shame for you to not visit again, and the catalogue of errors that occured during your stay are not consistent short falls so would really like to bring this to a close to restore your faith so that you can continue to stay with us again as you had done previously and left with positive thoughts.
I look forward to hearing from you

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels