“Book another Hotel”

Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Book another Hotel”
Reviewed 9 March 2011

We stayed for 2 nights the food was good and room with a sea view was good BUT the hot water tap was running continuiousl y despite notifying reception and housekeeper. The showerhead was dirty, the hair dryer was full of fluff or hair, this was dealt with by housekeeper.
The hotel charges £20 per night to garage your car even though it says £15 in room, I reclaimed the extra charge, The garage is open to the public for parking.It should be like most hotels if you stay you do not pay, even Heathrow do not charge if you stay.

A service charge is added even though its supposed to be at discretion. Our wine for night one we had to ask for after eating our starter, and pour ourselves for the meal and same again night 2 but they still added service charge.

The toilet was clean but you could see limescale which was off putting.

A charity charge is added and for each of the above you have to request the charges are removed, it should be you are asked if you wish to have these charges if you are satisfied. I reclaimed all service charges on wine and drinks in bar after all the staff are paid to serve you as a customer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
RoyalBath, General Manager at Royal Bath, responded to this review, 3 April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave your honest comments of your stay with us and I am sorry that the issues you had with your roome with your shower were not resolved whilst you were in the hotel with a room move.
Indeed we do charge £20 for parking which is on our website and all of our booking confirmatons, sincere apologies that you had an old guest directory in your room and I trust that this was resolved with the refund upon check out. Our garage is for hotel guests only and our charges are in line with many other city centre hotels and other hotels in Bournemouth.
I am so sorry to learn that your stay was so very disappointing and that we were not able to resolve this for you whilst you were with us, I do appreicate oyu taking the time to leave your comments as it helps us to move forward.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
Basingstoke
Reviewed 8 March 2011

This was our first stay at any De Vere hotel and we had been looking forward very much to staying at The Royal bath Hotel.
After booking a 2 night stay for the 19th and 20th February I checked on the Hotel website and I was reassured that there was complimentary WiFi in every room . I was, however, astounded to see that the hotel required £20 per night car parking charge. Outrageous! I have never been charged for hotel car parking outside London except for Airport parking.
We booked into the hotel and the receptionist was friendly and helpful. Our room was small but pleasant but no sign of the wine that was promised on arrival.
My first problem was the WiFi. There wasn’t any. Or to be precise, there was WiFi but the router was not connected to the outside world.
However, I found a network cable that poked above the dressing table and connected this to my laptop. No connection. After investigation I found that the router behind the dressing table was not powered up. I searched, found the mains switch and turned it on. Still no connection. Eventually I found that the router was plugged in to the wrong socket on the wall. Success! ( Fortunately I am an electronics engineer!).
But the lack of WiFi would have been very inconvenient if I had not brought my laptop and relied solely on my mobile phone.
The garden restaurant was really bad. The food was OK but the portions very small and the service was abysmal! We had to ask the waiting staff for everything. Seemed like self service without leaving our seats! Nothing was volunteered by the staff and we were mostly ignored.
The first breakfast was interesting. Most of the cooked food had run out and we had to ask for more. We waited for 10 minutes before someone came to cook the fried eggs.
The coffee that we managed to order arrived as tea.
The second night ‘s dinner was even more appalling. We waited 30 minutes before we had any attention from the staff and then only because we grabbed a passing waitress. We managed to order some drinks and eventually the first course. Again, reasonable food except for my partners mushy peas that were ice cold and the small portions. But I find that 2 hours to be served 2 courses was not a good experience. Incidentally, when the waitress cleared away our plates I asked her what the small side plates were for. She replied “for the roll and butter”. Needless to say, we were not offered one on either night.
The staff appear to have had little or no training as they were walking around in a totally uncoordinated fashion and piling dirty dishes up on their work areas instead of taking them back to the kitchen. Not a pleasant view for the customer. There was only 1 member of staff that was efficient, a Spanish waiter. He knew exactly how to do the job. You will appreciate that as we were in the restaurant for such a long time we were able to see exactly what was (not) going on.
Breakfast on the second morning was even worse than the first with me having to fry my own eggs as there was no-one to do it and I could not spend even more time waiting. We ordered coffee that arrived after we had finished breakfast with no milk provided. I requested milk but never received any – I had to find a jug from another table. There were no teaspoons so I had to use a knife to stir my coffee.
Faulty Towers anyone??

This is an Hotel that my partner and I had wanted to stay for the many years that we have been visiting Bournemouth and I have to say it was an enormous let-down. Very disappointing indeed!
Far below the standard of any hotel that I have stayed previously that charge at half the price.
Upon checkout the receptionist asked if we had enjoyed our stay. I replied that it was very disappointing and she suggested that we saw the duty manager.
She (I didn’t get her name, unfortunately) listened intently and apologised for our poor experience. She said that the manager would write to us and we would be offered a free stay with an upgrade.
I am not sure that I would want to go through that experience again but may be willing to give it a try. However as of writing we have heard nothing from the manager. Perhaps this explains the “couldn’t care less” attitude of the canteen staff.

Very, very disappointing and a poor (or is it typical?) indication of the standard that De Vere hotels set.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank micuck
Thank you for your sincere comments about your stay with us and I am sorry to learn that your dining expeirences both in the evening and breakfast were so disappointing, this is something that our Hotel Manager and Restaurant Manager have been in heavy discussions about and unfortunately we had another guest say the same as you, additional training to the team and a restructure of the breakfast set up is in place as is a new computer booking system that was implemented two weeks ago to ensure that table bookings are managed more effectively. I doo hope that you can see that we have taken your points seriously and have immediately been working on out to ensure this does not happen again. I do hope you choose to stay with us again with these changes in place.

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

london
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We stayed on a two night break, very relaxing and beautiful clean hotel. The only issue was the room needed a bit of an update but it was clean and all staff we lovely and friendly. The main bar is very grand and a pleasure to have a drink in. The spa was lovely with a Juzzuci and swimming pool, a lovely way to end the day after a long walk along the coast. 5 minutes away from the main beach and town. We are a couple in our late twenties and if you want to go out somewhere else in the evening the town is full of students and young people that we were ID'ed and being nearly 30 I don't tend to carry that around! Back to the hotel though the buffet breakfast is to die for everything you would want and even a menu of made to order yummy breakfast options. All in all very happy to recommend!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive comments, I am so pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay, we are actually hosting live music in our main lounge bar on Friday evenings now fo the summer so we would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back so that you can enjoy our entertainment rather than the town of students.
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Had a great on night stay at this hotel. People were fantastic, drinks very pricey. Unfortunately the food let's them down. My husband had the ravioli to start which was one small parcel on a teaspoon on lettuce. I had tomato and lentil soup which was lovely. The mains were duck leg and red cabbage and Beef and oyster pie. The duck meat was nice but the skin was like jelly, I had a round potato thing on my plate which was hard and tasted awful. The beef and oyster pie was in a big dish with a very dry puff pastry lid, when you broke into the lid the filling was about an inch high a all microwaved so very very hot, no sign of an oyster. Also on the plate was a tablespoon on mash and some tiny amour of greens. We didn't stop for pudding. We were using a discour voucher for the hotel which service knew about as we left to go we noticed that the same meals on another table had loads more vegetables, maybe it was a cost cutting thing, but we where very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2011
Thank you for your comments, I am disappointed to learn that your meal in Oscars was not to our usual standards and our promotions here in the hotel are not for us to change our product offerings and service levels so I am concerned that you felt that your dishes were not to the same standard of other guests dining as this should not be the case at all. I am also very sorry that this was not resolved whilst you were still in the hotel and that you were left feeling that you could not order dessert, this really is not indicative of our chefs usual high standards and if you contact my PA Kerry direct I can contact you peronsally to resolve this for you, thank you for your commetns as our guests help us to move forwards: kerry.mcdonagh@devere-hotels.com
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2011

We enjoyed our 2 night stay here, especially the great buffet breakfast and a very comfortable bed. We found all the service staff to be friendly, helpful and efficient.
Our room was very quiet. There were a couple of minor issues with our room but they didn't detract from our enjoyment of the stay.
The spa is very nice and fabulously located in the cliff top garden. We hope to be back.
Tip: Parking is £20 per day so leave your car at home if you don't need it

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
I hope you do return again soon also, thank you for your comments, I am so pleased you had such a lovely relaxing stay and appreicated our 'grand old lady' of a property that we are so proud to work within.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2011

On the 17 February 2011 for my 80th birthday my son treated me to a stay at the De Vere Hotel (Royal Bath) Bournemouth, Dorset.

On arrival at the hotel, for my birthday, the hotel upgraded our suite to an Executive Suite. In our suite were two bottles of Highland Spring water, a bowl of fruit, stick of rock and a birthday card.

At dinner in the evening they gave us free champagne with our meal.

Everything at the hotel was perfect, staff reception, meals, service, even the cleaning staff.

Really deserves the word (Royal). Would recommend it to anyone. Well done.

Mr J Booth
3 Barnsfield Crescent
Totton
Southampton
Hants

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback and I am so delighted that you had such an enjoyable 80th Birthday celebration here at the Royal Bath, our passion as a team to work in hospitality is to deliver high standards to all of our guests but it is even more special when we contribute to our guests special ocassions, Happy Birthday and thank you again, we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Poole
Reviewed 3 March 2011

This is a really nice old style hotel (spotted it in an old Miss Marple film the other day to give you an idea). Service is brilliant. Food good. Rooms are brilliant if you book on the wing which has been recently decorated to a really high standard. The other rooms are looking pretty dated so until they've done them all make sure you specify in your booking.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback and I am so delighted to hear you had a brilliant stay here with us at the Royal Bath and that you enjoyed the food and the service our team have on offer here. We hope to wlecome you back again soon.