“Does what it says on the tin”

Marsham Court Hotel
Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Essex
“Does what it says on the tin”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We were looking for a moderately priced hotel to stay for a couple of days while we attended a wedding reception in the area over the Bank Holiday weekend. The Days did the trick. It is well positioned for the fantastic Bournemouth beach and the shopping centre, cinema etc. The staff are friendly and helpful and the bed was very comfortable. Can't comment on the food as we did not eat there. Car park is a little snug, but we managed.

Room Tip: There are lifts, but, even so there are a few stairs to negotiate along the corridors as is often th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Rosie_Wallace, Owner at Marsham Court Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear DebvinEssex,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that if you are visiting in this area again that we would be able to accommodate you again and hopefully have the opportunity to have you sample our food.
Please know that feedback such as yours helps us to improve on the quality and service we provide.
Rosie Wallace, Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
England
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights in August 2014 and we couldn't have asked for more. Room was excellent and the bathroom - well it was amazing - have never had such a spacious bathroom anywhere in Britain. Whole hotel was clean and tidy. Location is also fabulous. Would highly recommend!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear SJHUk,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Days Hotel Marsham Court.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your 4 night stay with us in August and that you found the room excellent and the bathroom amazing.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

The smell was dreadful when we opened the room door. Excrament left in the toilet and the outside of basin and toilet bowl was dirty. The bed was hard but bouncy we kept rolling off. Bad back as a result of two night sleeping in it. A horriblr stsin on ghe carpet which hadnt been hoovered either. I called reception they sent a cleaner up to sort it. However he didnt clean the bathroom just flushed the toilet. He spilt cleaner over my shoes whilst cleaning the carpet and knocked my glasses on the floor. It was like a scetch from faulty towers. We tried to have a nap but our window was right under the swimming pool so that was impossible. On the plus side the location was great close to town. We received twenty pound refund.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank 179GaznAli
Dear 179GaznAli,
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Maintenance had just finished sorting out an issue and I apologise that the staff had not checked that the bedroom had been serviced again before they gave you the keys to the room.
We try our best to improve on guests experiences and rely on feedback such as yours to do this.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to change your opinion of us in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We attended a cousins wedding held at the hotel so all very convenient....five of us sharing two rooms. Rooms were functional, clean and we all slept well; food for both the wedding breakfast and Friday night meal were well cooked and good value for money.....we were made to feel welcome and would consider going back : )

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Rosie_Wallace, Owner at Marsham Court Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Cind63,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and the Wedding that you attended.
eastbourne
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I would, up to a point, agree with Timber John's review of this hotel. This is our, my wife and I, fourth holiday at this venue, and, as before the room was small but clean and the bed was very comfortable. The staff, many of them from Eastern Europe, were efficient and eager to help. Breakfast was good with plenty to eat and drink. I used the coffee machine but pots of fresh tea and coffee were available. Evening meals were "hotel quality" I have diabetes so did not have the sweet course and the cheese board was charged extra. All in all we enjoyed our holiday and will be happy to stay here again.
One final point, opposite the hotel is the Russell-Cotes museum, this is well worth a visit and I think it is one of the best, no, the best small museum I have visited. The cafe is good too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Rosie_Wallace, Owner at Marsham Court Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Barry U,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am glad that you enjoyed yet another Dance Holiday with us.
Sl6 0ba
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and have found the hotel to be clean, with excellent service and staff who are always polite and helpful. Its position is ideal for those wishing to purchase a room with a sea view and most of the public rooms have excellent sea views.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Rosie_Wallace, Owner at Marsham Court Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Frederick B,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Days Hotel as part of a dance break organised by our excellent dance teachers.

Practicalities first – if you’re driving to the Days Hotel, putting the postcode in your satnav will take you to the front of the hotel, whereas you need to park around the back, which is a different street.

Registration was efficient and friendly. The lifts are tiny, so try to pack light (or at least without any one item being particularly large). Also, for some rooms, there are stairs to be traversed even after taking the lift. For our room, we had to go up one small flight, down a larger one and up again, even after taking the lift. If you cannot carry your luggage up and down stairs, either take less luggage or specify at time of booking that you need an accessible room.

We had booked a standard room, no sea view, no balcony etc. It was adequate and reasonably comfortable, but not hugely inspiring. We discovered on the first evening that the shower was painfully hot and could not be made any colder. We reported this and it was fixed, although not until the next day (and even then, only after the engineer had first been sent to investigate the wash basin rather than the shower). Interestingly, a couple overheard us reporting this, and reported that they had exactly the same problem. Lighting around the bathroom mirror was appalling, so if you’re into carefully applied makeup, bring your own mirror with illumination! The room cleaning was efficient, although some of the staff had very poor English skills, so struggled to understand when you wanted them to come back later.

For the dancing itself, the Terrace Suite has a good floor (when other types of events are going on, carpet is laid over the top). It’s not a huge floor, but it comfortably handled 40-50 people doing ballroom & latin dancing. The air conditioning was not always on, although once this was pointed out, it was quickly turned on. Provision of drinks (water jugs, flasks of tea and coffee) was very hit and miss. The water often had to be requested (from the bar, which was busy with a wedding party one night), and flasks occasionally contained things other than what was labelled on them. It felt like there wasn’t an events organiser on the staff – somebody who made sure that these small, but important, details are taken care of. If there is an events organiser, he/she was not on the case on this occasion.

For anybody who likes to exercise whilst staying at hotels, there is an outdoor pool, and behind a locked door there is a table tennis table, but there doesn’t seem to be a gym (I searched their web-site before going as I would normally take my exercise gear, but couldn’t find any mention of a gym). The outdoor pool results in people wrapped in towels sharing the bar area with people dressed for events, which is a tad odd.

The big problem area for me was the restaurant. Despite prior notification (which reception confirmed was recorded on the system), the restaurant and kitchen were unprepared to handle special dietary requirements. The choice of meal options on the menu, combined with mistakes on the menu and lack of information on the menu, made finding safe options problematic. It then became nigh-on impossible, as the junior waiting staff had such poor English that they could not understand what they were being told/asked. When I am travelling abroad, I always learn how to explain my allergies in the language of the country I am travelling to. However, in the UK, if the staff do not understand English and I do not speak their language (I have no way in advance to know what language I might need), then the risk of an allergy-related problem grows. I have to say that the more managerial staff in the restaurant definitely tried their best, but they were not always present, and are still dependent on correct information from the kitchen. I ate a full breakfast in the restaurant each day, but did not eat a main course at dinner after the first evening.

So, to summarise, not the best 3 star hotel I have ever stayed in, and with surprising issues around event management and coping with allergies in the restaurant. It doesn’t take much effort to put together menus where there are options for starters, mains and desserts that do not involve common allergens and are labelled as such, and it does not encourage repeat visitors if coping with allergies means removing components from meals rather than replacing components.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TimberJohn
Dear TimberJohn,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review; however I am sorry that your stay was not enjoyed as it should have been and I will answer each issue raised.
Firstly, you are correct in saying that our postcode brings you to our front entrance, which is on Russell Cotes Road; however we do have directions to the hotel on our website and they all direct guests to our rear entrance, which is situated on Grove Road.
Secondly, we have two guest lifts one which takes up to 4 guests and one which takes up to 8 guests. Being an old building we are limited and have to work with the space we have.
Thirdly, in regards to your room, we have our water regulated and I will indeed have our maintenance team look into the issues; however I am glad that the team where able to sort it for the rest of your stay. All bathrooms were refurbished in 2011 and spot lighting was put into the bathrooms. We have not had it mentioned before now that there is any issue with the lighting around the mirror, but when we come to refurbish again we will indeed look into your comments and see how we can improve this for you.
I am glad that you enjoyed your dancing with us in the Terrace Suite. The staff put approx. 12-15 jugs of water out for every session when your group was dancing, I am sorry if at times you had to ask this to be refilled.
In regards to the comments about the Restaurant I am very surprised. All our sauces and soups are gluten free; however at some points there are certain items that come with a dish that is not suitable for these allergies like Yorkshire Puddings, Chipolatas, etc... We do provide desserts for Diabetics with prior notice, soya milk for lactose intolerant and other items as requested.
All our staff in the Restaurant have to have an Advanced or Upper Intermediate Level of English in order to work in this area. They all have knowledge of special dietary requirements and there is always a manager/supervisor on duty to assist guests with any queries regarding to the menu. We have received several comments in the past of how good the staff were in arranging alternatives and discussing menus with the guests to cater for their specific dietary requirements and I am sorry this was not the case on this occasion. We were unaware that you were not eating main courses and neither were the Dance Teachers that you came with. The Duty Manager every evening would have been happy to discuss any meal requirements with you.