“Worn just about ok”

Ranked #63 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reading, United Kingdom
“Worn just about ok”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Ok, I know it was the cheapest option but I don’t think they can go on letting it get more and more worn! A damp smell everywhere and just really basic. I think the maintenance person must of left as our door number was written on with a biro. The breakfast was just about ok. Basically if you need a place to rest your head and a hot shower it’s fine.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
southampton
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed here for a night with three friends in February. The reception and bar area were pleasant, and the staff were helpful and friendly. The other main positive is that the hotel has car parking with a barrier on exit and only charges £3 per night.

The hall areas and rooms had a musty, old carpet smell and the walls were dirty and in need of a massive redecoration. The rooms were clean, as were the bed linen and towels, but the tired carpet, walls and smelly shower curtain made it not feel that way.

Before our night out in Bournemouth we had a drink in the bar. One of my friends went outside for a cigarette via the 'patio' type doors and was shouted at by what appeared at first to be some random guy. This man then slammed the door shut after cursing at my friend and a member of staff behind the bar! We then realised this man actually worked in the hotel and was either the manager or owner. What a great way to treat customers! We gathered from his treatment of my friend that this door was not to be used. Unfortunately as my friend isn't Derren Brown he was unable to read the hotel manager's mind so didn't know that this door was not to be used.

We decided then to continue our night out elsewhere in Bournemouth. On returning later that night/morning a friend and i had trouble getting back in as the bell for the night porter didn't appear to work. Eventually the doors were opened, although as we were back quite late we could understand we might have to wait a bit to get back in. Another one of my friends was not so fortunate. He waited for ages to be let in and resorted to sleeping in his car as nobody came to the door at all.

During what was left of the night i was woken up many times by the gurgling plug hole in the sink. Which sounded like somebody was plunging it all night. (Of course there wasn't, i doubt it ever has been plunged.) The room was also very hot despite turning off the radiator and opening the window, which made for an even more uncomfortable night's sleep.

When we left the next morning there was nobody at reception when we came to check out, so i just dropped the key off to find out i couldn't get out of the car park due to the barrier being down. After waiting a while then one of my mates going into reception, the receptionist finally came to open the barrier by key. I think this was not working as well!

Normally i would say you get what you pay for, (only £29 per night), but there are similarly priced hotels that are nowhere near as tired, don't have rude managers, let you in when you want to sleep and let you out when you want to leave. Use those hotels not this one!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank christycerny

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We arrived early evening to check in 3pm
end arrive to my room on 5 floor 544
room as verry tired tv only 4 channel the cheapest possible furniture
there was no heated towel rail so all towels stayed wet and cold, the bathroom radiator was old and rusty, the ceiling panels were dirty and cheap, the curtains (mounted on the cheapest possible curtain rail) were thin and made of the cheapest possible material with no blackout lining; I could go on but I'm boring myself!!!
“Dirty, hugely overpriced, very, very tired, extremely disappointing. free Wi-Fi not working bad!!
PLEASE CHECK PHOTOS!!!!!!
arrive on 24/02/2014
check out 25/02/2014

Hair in my beed see photos
alot hair in cabin see photos
still no refund end i pay in cash !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jorge s
Hampshire
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Very tired looking hotel which needs serious money spent on it, as all these large hotels do. Bought a groupon £29 for bed breakfast and bottle of wine. I can't complain, the room was clean and warm, staff were very friendly, breakfast was varied and hot. For the money spent it was excellent value. But I can see why people are disappointed. Very central to City and restaurants and bars.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank perryhols
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We arrived early evening to check and found it to be a very simple process. I thought it odd that we had to pay in advance at desk and I was not sure about being charged a additional cost to use a debit card but it didn't bother me. There was a chap at the desk asking if he could move to another room but I couldn't hear the reason. We were given our room on the sixth floor. Upon exiting the lift we were greeted by four or five guys in their underpants breathing heavy through doing time trial circuits. My girlfriend seemed quiet impressed. We found our room and I was very surprised. It was of a good size, clean and comfortable. Dinner was very bland although the soup was good. Not a great selection of beers or lagers but the bottles were good. The bar was full of stag parties which had me dreading the early hours when the club's closed. I was wrong. Did not hear a thing. Breakfast was really good. Dinner on the second night was the same meal as the previous night. Overall we had a great time. The staff on the desk were good. Evita in the dining room was brilliant. Can't wait till next year when we will go back!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Insist on a "outer room", they are bigger
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank phill-the-roofer
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed for 3 nights, and I was worried about the stay as I had read some negative reviews on here. I had nothing to worry about. Staff were friendly and welcoming and the food was just fine. Room was nice and the location of the hotel was perfect. Plenty of things to do. Could do with decorating but I would come back again and again.

• Stayed February 2014
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had a couple of nights here and found experiences to be different for different things. Our room was attractive, and warm but very uncomfortable. Bed was rock hard and we were unable to sleep. The room had a number of housekeeping issues which I tried to mention to the receptionist who could not understand me so I gave up eventually.

Food!! - well breakfast was super, dinner was pretty awful! Breakfast was buffet style and had plenty of choice and was flavoursome. I was able to order poached eggs which were very good.

We booked our evening meal because we were told beef was on the menu. Restaurant opened at 1830 we went down at 1915 to find no beef left, were offered roast chicken or turkey instead. Chicken turned out to be winglets in gravy and the turkey was pink and uncooked. All veg was ok but most was frozen, gravy had run out and was not refilled. There was no potato evident and when I asked for potato I was informed that the very pale watery looking potato curry was the potato of the day!!!! Hence no potato. Desserts were fine if you only like gateaux or ice cream, no hot desserts.

We were quite disappointed really and have given a low score simply due to sleep quality which was very bad.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple