“Poor value for money”

Ranked #63 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“Poor value for money”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The whole place needs renovating unless a throwback to the 1960s is you're thing. For what we payed we were expecting something a bit more grand. Also the walls are so thin you could hear everything you're neighbours are doing! The car park is almost always full. The only reason we booked this hotel was because over the summer heat wave it was the only few remaining hotels available.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Polymer04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bristol
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I appreciate when I searched for this hotel I wanted "cheap", but even when something is cheap you expect a certain amount for your hard earned cash! I have never seen so much dust in a hotel room, it was so think I could have written an essay in it!

There is little positive I can say about the hotel apart from it was somewhere to sleep in the town I needed to be in and it was close to the town centre and links to the university which was what I needed.

The staff left a lot to be desired, a course in basic customer service would not have gone a miss, especially from the woman serving in the bar on Wednesday 4 June. I ordered a bar snack which I don't think had seen life outside of the freezer for some considerable time, and that takes me to the breakfast. I think the pig from which the bacon was sourced was roadkill and cooked as it had been found on the road, the scrambled egg was like baby sick.

I had the misfortune to stay in room 435, when I got in, I was almost knocked out with the extremely powerful fire door springs! I was greeted with a broken bathroom door, looked like someone had kicked it in at the bottom, a punched hole in the bedside table and several cracked electrical sockets, namely the one down the side of the bed.

Don't stay here unless you have to. I would welcome the management to call me, you have my details.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JS-JN

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

well if your after a 1990s theme night this is right up your street .reception area not bad but after that its down hill all the way .i should of walked away when we entered the room and saw the old style big back 1990s tv .it was getting on so we decided to stay thank god it was only one night .the window was open in the room when we arrived so i closed it and went out to eat .coming back to the room on the night the hotel is full of foreign workers when the lift doors opened the hole area stunk of cigarette smoke. entering the room with its 1990s style dirty marked ripped wallpaper .so we put tv on oh those days of only 4 channels came flooding back .ha so we thought we would watch a netflex film on the lap top .its advertised as having free wifi in room .THE ROOM is not the bedroom its the reception area room .ha fell for that one. now remember the open window i closed when i entered the room .well at about 3 am i woke up choking the hole room now stunk of cigarette smoke coming from the bed and every where else .and then the scratching started with little red marks by this time i wish i had slept in the car .and they forgot to tell me i have to pay for car parking .its about time so called hotels of this standard where shut down.why on earth do they think this sort of standard is acceptable may be in India it would .it actually seems run on the same bases as a Indian corner shop . if its crap you want theres plenty here

Room Tip: look for open windows it may be open for a reason
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank steve66687
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days on my honeymoon, and I wish we hadn't! It wasn't exactly cheap, and the standard was below low. We stay at Ibis quite often, and atleast their standard is average with clean and crisp rooms and a good breakfast buffet.
First impression was the reception area, with furniture that had holes in them, and fading red colors and patterns from the late 70'ies.
When we entered the room, I inspected it (as a former housekeeping manager, I have sharp eyes) and immediately noticed some orange and pink residues on the bath tub. It was soap bits from probably 2 former occupiers!! The tub was disgusting, When I brought this to the attention of reception, they sent up a lady who sprayed a bit of window cleaner on it, and disappeared quickly.
Next day, we both sneezed repeatedly, and I discovered huge balls of black dust balls behind the beds, on top of picture frames, on lamp shades. I took pictures of it and showed it to a manager. He apologised and would rectify it with a complimentary dinner and breakfast in their dining area. We accepted, but it was disastrous! Overcooked salmon, that had turned rubbery and white, in an undefineable white goo. Microwaved white bland bread, canned vegetables, sour tomato sauce. Well, I wouldn't serve that to my dog, that's how bad it was. The breakfast was the same deal. Overcooked, nuked eggs, bland bread and potatoes and not even a decent jam and butter to be found. The filter coffee was bitter and had sit to long. We ended up going out for breakfast, as usual, as this was not anywhere close to acceptable.
I had to remind them to change the linen, as this was not done automatically after 3 nights (as is standard!!!) I found that the cleaning staff had tried to hide not doing it, by only changing pillow covers. They hadn't hovered either. What a waste of time and communication to remind people of the obvious.
The only positive thing, was the location, very close to the beach, and the friendly receptionists.
We will NEVER set foot here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fatima E
Kent
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed her recently and apart from the parking issue where we paid the £3.00 per night, there were no spaces available, couldn't even park in a blue badge space in front of the hotel as the manager had parked taking up two disabled bays, did get a refund though.
Being a budget hotel does attract the idiots though.
We also stayed in the Queens hotel a year or two ago which is very run down in comparison and a lot more expensive.
all in all, good value for money

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

There is nothing nice you can say about this hotel. Over priced, dirty, spa bath that leaves you more dirty then when u went in. Place needs need to be streamed cleaned and repaired and staff needs to be trained in customer services and cleaning staff need to know how to clean, that includes light fittings, toilet, bath and tiles, lamps and carpet. Disgusting is the word for this place

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sherrie-Stephenson
south coast UK
Reviewed 19 May 2014

First let me be positive. The staff were friendly and efficient. Everything was very clean. buffet breakfast was very good. Bed was comfortable.
Now for the bad bits. Everything about the place is tired. The furniture in our room (322) was very dated. The bedside lamps even plugged in to round pin sockets, and they went out when I was a lad. Having noticed that the room came with a whirlpool bath I decided to try it out. The bath worked ok, but when I finished I couldn't,t get the plug out and I checked out this morning leaving a bath full of water behind me. Last but not least, we decided to try the "All you can eat £9.95 evening buffet". This was a disaster. There was very little of it that we could eat. The soup was unpleasant. The potatoes-choice of Sautéed or Dauphinoise, we're cold, and the vegetables were cooked to soggy.
All in all not somewhere I would recommend. I certainly shan't be returning.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple