“Yuk!!”

Roundhouse Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #62 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot for work so have stayed in quite a few questionable places but this place is just awful! Its filthy dirty, inside and out. The bedding and towels are stinking. I had an old CRT type telly in my room with the grand total of TWO channels! There was an ashtray bolted to the wall next to the toilet and I think the last straw was when I sat on the chair in my room and it collapsed underneath me! Stay well clear of this health and safety nightmare of a hotel is my advice.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank freddyhayz

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Recently went to this hotel for a family wedding nearby. The receptionist was extremely rude and abrupt when asking about the possibility of checking in early due to my feeling poorly.

When we checked into the room, it was clear it is in need of severe cleaning and maintenance. The pillow slips had been washed but were not clean, same with the towels. Ordered more and had to order more again as the next batch were the same. Along with Staines on the carpet.

The manager was extremely when he approached us to tell us he was closing the bar early due to it not being busy enough (despite our party consisting of approx 30 people).

Will never be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank R8731FRMichelle
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

What can I say? Everything you wouldn't want from a hotel you get here. Gets a 1 mark for location but everything else was dire. The rooms are so hot, the decor throughout is the same from when it was originally built, had to listen to the sound of dripping water all night long and a charge to use the hotel car park! The other guests we met whilst there left something to be desired too but I can't pun that on the hotel but might make you think twice about staying there

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pete W
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My friend and I have grown up in Bournemouth, however we hardly see each other as we're at Uni in Nottingham and London. So my friend's mum kindly paid for a hotel so we could party and relax without being at home with siblings etc!

NOW we are grateful but Oh wow. Our first thoughts were ok we'll just give it a go *positive minds*. We walked into the room which STANK of stale cigarettes. Just because people are allowed to smoke does not mean it warrants the room to smell like a 70 yr old ashtray - there's no harm in air freshener and an open window.

THEN under the sofa we find a huge pile of crumbs, quite visible to the eye so obviously the floor was not hoovered. My friend’s eyes then veered to the right where there was a pair of used, old underpants! Now I was in total shock the cleaner must have had a bad case of conjunctivitis that day.
We informed the receptionist who looked blankly and just called the janitor. NO APOLOGY absolutely nothing at all! I'd have been so embarrassed and apologised profusely.
Oh and to top it all off there was dry piss on the toilet seat which the janitor wiped with a towel!!!! No clean cloth or disinfectant - nothing. My eyes nearly popped out.

Anyway that night we bought bleach, air freshener and cloths - blitzed the room then partied the weekend away. We were warned about our noise from the manager but his establishment is like a pile of fags stumped in an old ashtray. I had no respect or understanding of how he had morals for noise control but none for the simple upkeep of the hotel! Ridiculous.

Room Tip: One tip try to get a 6th floor room so at least one positive can be a view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Miss_Cherise
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Me and my girlfriend decide to book a late room just for a spontaneous weekend in Bournemouth and as this hotel was the cheapest at the time we went ahead. We got to the hotel and the parking spaces were really tight behind the hotel so if you want to park the car park early or if your out late at night and drive back you won't get a space. We got into our room and it wasn't the cleanest of rooms, you could see that people had probably smoked in the room as the walls were marked and gone a funny colour. Very dated. But we worked out that the toilet wouldn't flush and was obviously faulty. We went down to the reception to ask to switch rooms and they replied "we have no rooms left, there's not a lot we can do" and I was appalled as a toilet is an essential and my girlfriend really needed the loo so I was furious that they didn't even seemed bothered to do anything. I explained that I wanted it fix by 6 as we were going shopping. Fortunately they kept to there promise but I don't understand how you can have rooms available and not check that the toilet doesn't work. Other than that it was just a bed to sleep on really as the walls were thin where you could here people shouting down the corridor and there was no fans or air con and in the summer it was so got we could barely get any sleep. It's great for a place to stay if your on a lads weekend or stag or hen do, but that's it. Probably pay more to stay at a cleaner nicer hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank P1anky
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booked this hotel for just somewhere to "lay my head" after a night out.

The location was great as it was 2 minute walk from the clubs but the hotel was in a state!

The lobby was well presented but deceiving.

The rooms stunk of smoke and I was not made aware on booking that the rooms were smoking rooms. They were hot and stuffy and the windows wouldn't open far enough to let any air in.

The beds were clean, I can say that much.

The bathroom was filthy, the shower just about worked.

£3 per night charge for parking!!!!! The breakfast was nasty and tasteless.

If you want a cheapish hotel (I don't think £170 for a weekend is justified), close to the clubs then this is ideal. But if you want somewhere nice and up to date then avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Samantha W
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Looking up what comments Tripadvisor had published about The Roundhouse, I decided to speak to the Management for their comments and had the assurance that whilst you can always have grumbles as some things don't always suit every customer, basically they did provide a service which they tried hard to back up with effort.
Hence our three day visit was towards the end of the first week of school Summer break a time when children and parents took advantage of the great weather by cramming every hotel to the brim.
But we managed to get a first floor, spacious double room, even it wasn't the most modern. But it was clean.The mattress on the double bed, nicely prepared, was as good as we have ever had, with four soft pillows.and duvet, bed-side lamps and side cabinets. a flat screen tv, large wardrobe and a couple of easy chairs. And it looked out to the side with double glazed windows that could be widened by the management if asked.
There was also a large bathroom with immediate very hot water,a bath and shower and ample towels
A spacious garage ran under and around the hotel which at £3-00 per 24 hours put the rest of Bournemouth's parking charges to shame.
The reception was to the left of the hotel's smart, open and welcoming entrance, with double lifts, whilst alongside there was a tv section joining up with entry to the bar and breakfast/dining room area, which had doors opening out onto the front patio garden next to the street. and, if needed, taxi rank
To sum up, the manager we dealt with, Mr Carlos Goncalves and receptionist Marie, were more than helpful and we will again use this ideally placed hotel the next time we are staying in Bournemouth.

Room Tip: speak to the management first and they will make every effort to suit your needs
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family