“Very dated”

Ranked #67 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Bridgnorth
“Very dated”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Our room was very dark and small,not very inviting from outside and too far away from town to walk for older guests.
Not a very friendly atmosphere at all.
No where to put suitcases ,ours had to go back in the car.

Room Tip: The front rooms downstairs looked brighter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Sorry you were upset but as you had a free upgrade to the garden room with its 6ft wide floor to ceiling wardrobe a little surprised you could not fit a suitcase in it, the large window and door to the back garden does have a dark blind which lifts up to use the door giving access directly to the garden etc so again a little surprised that you should say the room was dark. Also rather surprised that you did not make use of the ironing board and iron in the room but instead decided to iron on the bedlinen resulting in two lovely scorch marks on our white bedlinen. Perhaps your embarrassment at this and not telling us of your accident coloured your view of our friendliness?
Don't worry I will pay the money for the items you damaged.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
wales
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I had enjoyed 2 days in Bournemouth in a b and b near the beach. We were due to travel back that day, but sat in a beer garden enjoying the glorious sunny weather, we decided it was too nice to go back home just yet......so I got on my phone and searched the internet for local places that still had rooms free. (it was a Saturday and 22 degree's in the sun, so didn't expect much success). Luckily the Ashleigh had 1 room left at £60 for the night so we booked it. To be honest, thinking back on it now, at that price it should have included breakfast, but beggars can't be choosers, so we booked it. There was parking out front which was good, as the b and b we had stayed in earlier didn't have any ( we were incredibly lucky to find a space in the street that time)As others have said, the spaces are one in front of each other so you could get blocked in, but we were not planning on driving anywhere so it made no difference to us.
The room was not large, but certainly fine for our purposes, clean, bright and airy. The bathroom was quite compact, but again, not a big deal. The shower cubicle was possibly on the smaller side of average but would not be an issue for a normal sized woman or man (If you are a large lady, size 16+ you might feel differently). The bed was very comfortable, with lovely soft bedding and we both agreed we had had a very good nights sleep. Tea, coffee and biscuits were supplied, also a hair dryer and decent sized TV. (not that we made use of the TV). The area the hotel is situated in, seemed a bit on the rough side. I do not know Bournemouth, but the Landsdowne area seemed a bit ropey, based on a couple of pubs we visited on route to the restaurant we had booked.
However the restaurant we ate at was phenomenal, regardless of the area! La Piccola Italia.I would return to Bournemouth just to visit that little gem again ( see my TA review if you're interested)
Friendly landlady and staff, if you don't mind which part of Bournemouth you stay in, this will suit most people's requirements.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Glad you had a good time, and the weather was good (always good in Bournemouth) we feel we offer good value for money and at £30 on a Saturday night with free parking wifi tea/coffee etc we are happy that room was value.
Glad the food was good as well
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Whoever wants to complain about the hotel needs to shut up really. Moaning for no reason. Member of staff was friendly helpful and funny. I would defiantly come back to this hotel when the weather is a bit warmer. Bedroom was big which I wanted. The only thing I can say is the room was cold but hopefully they sort that out but don't have nothing bad to say other then that. First time staying in Bournemouth won't be my last. Wouldn't choose another hotel plus it's a really decent hotel price. Happy with them :)

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Kimboss123
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for leaving this review, we have so many returning guests who never bother to leave a review as they are happy, but of course anyone who has an issue turns to an anonymous forum.
We try hard to get it right sometimes we mess up and then we hold our hands up, but all in all not often I am pleased to say.
See you again
Southport
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night. I arrived tired, cold, wet (and pregnant) after a 7 hour journey. Not wanting to venture alone into the local red light district to get food I had purchased a ready meal and asked for it to be warmed. . This was refused on entirely bogus 'health and safety' grounds by the surly owner who seems to be auditioning for a channel 4 fly on the wall series. (Check the health and safety myth busters website to confirm their is no rule against heating up food).
The tone of management responses on trip advisor (I await mine with a mixture of amusement and trepidation) indicates these owners are clearly tempermentally unsuited to running a guest house. To claim negative reviews are either malicious or come from bill dodgers is risible. Is it possible that sites that also do bookings might filter out bad reviews?
I know you get what you pay for but good service costs nothing. .

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Paul M
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Hi

Little puzzled about this as I am out of the country and the Ashleigh closed until next Friday 24th as we are repairing painting etc.

But I let the readers make up there own minds.
London
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel back in October, with my partner for the Bournemouth running festival. We chose to stay here mostly because of the location. It was nicely placed compared to both the start and finish line of the marathon.

It was my first stay in a Bed and Breakfast, so I must admit that I wasn't too sure what I should expect. The first thing that I will say, is that the staff that we encountered were absolutely lovely and extremely helpful as well as accommodating. They even allowed us to stay a little bit later so that my partner could come back and shower after his race.

The room (including the en suite) was very clean and tidy, albeit smaller than I expected. Though this is more to do with the fact that I'm used to staying in hotels, where the rooms tend to be more spacious. There was a selection of tea and coffee for us to use. However, I couldn't use the kettle in the room as it looked like it hadn't been de-scaled in a while and I'm very fussy about that.

Breakfast in the morning was a choice between continental or full English buffet. Everything was hot and well cooked and the bread (which I think was fresh) was lovely. The lady (cannot remember her name) checked on us throughout our breakfast and made sure that we had lots of tea and coffee and that everything was okay.

Parking could be an issue for some people, as the spaces are two deep and if you park at the front, you need to hope that the person behind you left the keys to move their car. For us this wasn't a problem because the beach is about 20 mins walk away, so we didn't move the car all weekend.

The only two things I would say are, please de-scale the kettles and the bathrooms could do with an upgrade. But all in all we both really enjoyed our stay and will probably stay here for the festival next year.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that isn't at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Many thanks for your positive and honest review.
Diamante, Entre Rios, Argentina
Reviewed 3 December 2013

What can I say about this place. I stayed here earlier this year in the peak of the summer. It was my first time going to Bournemouth (and probably my last). I parked outside the hotel which was handy, some overly aggressive man came from across the street and told me I have move my car because I was on the white line (which I was not). I found this man’s attitude very unpleasant and I did not know who the heck he was. I thought he was some builder or something, rather than make him even more angry I adjusted the car position as I felt he might do something to my car if I did not. I was already put in a bad mood before I even got into the hotel, imagine how I felt when I found this horrid man works at the hotel. I really did not want to stay at this hotel anymore so I decided to cancel my room which was pre booked for three days. Fortunately, there seemed to be plenty of places across the road which seemed much better than this. Unfortunately I was told I still had to pay for the room. I reluctantly decided to stay. I was give my room key by another horrible person who works at the hotel this time a woman (which I believe was the aggressive man’s wife). I went to my room which itself was ok. Puke green bathroom but it had a large TV in the room. The room while ugly was clean which was one of the few plus points this place gets. However, I felt so uncomfortable in this place I decide to leave the next and moved to the Ferriby Guest House which was next door. I did not get my money back for the room but why do I need to put up with these horrible people.

Room Tip: Go across the road to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Kancer
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Well here we go again, if you are going to leave a false review please get some facts right, there is no guest house next door, but there is a guest house called the Ferriby that takes dss you stayed there? I don't think so!.
Please check out reviews on sites that only allow guests who have actually stayed to post reviews
Gweek Cornwall
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed for just two nights for a concert at the Pavilion.
It was a treat !Location for us was ideal, with a straight road into the town centre a brisk 20 minute walk.
Room was well appointed, with all necessary comforts. Nice and quiet, with no traffic noise. Bus stop outside the door. Superb breakfast served by owner and staff. who made sure that you had all you you would wish for.
Loved the very high doors and the story of the first owner, the very tall China man!!
All in all worth the stay at well under travel inn prices.
In the town centre,shopping area, find TK Max arcade and see the chines buffet "Days", which is the most amazing value, is at least 50 main s and 30 plus desserts , not counting the chocolate fountains and ice creams!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
kerandire, Owner at The Ashleigh, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Very many thanks for taking the time to write your review. It is always encouraging to get a positive response. We do hope you will visit us again when you are next in Bournemouth