“Bit disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
West Yorkshire
“Bit disappointing”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Attended a family wedding. Beautiful setting, absolutely lovely rooms very nicely decorated. Very small bar, staff very disorganised. Beer was not drinkable and men complained. On a number of occasions staff collecting glasses actually took my glass that was not finished with. At the meal our table in particular was very cramped we could not stand for speeches etc as we could not move our chairs guest at the bottom end of the table were unable to get out or move at all. Staff were passing over hot plates of food to the guests at the end of the table over the top of babies heads so basically guests were serving other guests because staff were unable to reach most of the other guests. 4 wine glasses on the table I picked up were absolutely filthy round the rim. Food, basic. The staff were clearly inexperienced in dealing with a large wedding party based on their lack of respect, English language and manners, staff were overheard saying "pass that to her"!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
London
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our 4th wedding anniversary, I booked it because it looked so romantic and I loved the history behind it! When we arrived we went to reception and as soon as I walked through the doors I was taken a back at how beautiful the manor was, it really was breathtaking, I couldn't hold my excitment, I just wanted to go and see our room (we stayed in The Emily Le Breton room) as soon as I opened the door to our bedroom I was nearly in tears of happyness, everything about the room was perfect, down to the last T. There was a heart, shaped out off towels with perfectly wrapped chocolates inside (they were dilicous)
After unpacking we went and had a look around the manor, I really can't tell you how lovely this place is (well I'm trying) It holds so much history, there are pictures of Lillie Langtry everywhere (but not too overwhelming, just right) The dining room is amazing and the food really nice too, and we even got a certificate to celebrate our 4th anniversary at The Langtry Manor.

Taking you back to the room, we had a jaccuzzi, it was a little nosey but brilliant, for a first time experience, i enjoyed every minute NOTE: don't put too many bubbles in, we learnt from that mistake, lol

Bournmouth itself is really lovely, the beach is perfect, we were lucky enough to have one of the hottest weekends in September last year.

We are defiantly going back but this time I would like to stay in "The Gold Cup" room which is in the lodge not the manor!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shell C
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My partner and I stayed here in July 2012 for one night while attending a wedding at the hotel. Reception on arrival was very good and we were allowed to use our room even though we were several hours early. Nice touch to be shown to our room and having a bag carried for us. We were in room 7 (Oliver Cromwell) on the 1st floor in the main building. A large room, clean and well decorated with a good size double bed. The en-suite bathroom is very small, but looks recently decorated and with all new fittings. Bath with overhead raindrop shower. Shower was very nice! The wash basin is very small, and as other reviewers have commented, it is a little tricky leaning over it without hitting your head on wall, but this is a minor point. Tea and coffee making facilities provided, and I suggest you ask reception for fresh milk. We had a very comfortable nights sleep.
We were not involved with the organisation of the wedding, but from what i could see, and experienced, the hotel provided a good level of service. Wedding food and service was very good given the numbers catered for. Breakfast in the morning had a good choice and we enjoyed the full english.
I would recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again if visiting Bournemouth

Room Tip: Main building seemed better than the lodge.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KeefandJan
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

A very quaint looking building, with friendly staff. On first seeing the room we were dissapointed as the pictures on the website make the rooms look large and spacious. We had to move some furniture around to easily fit two suitcases on the floor and still walk round the bed. The Jaccuzzi actually in the bedroom was a novelty but it did seem you were paying over the top for that alone! We stayed for three nights and would have changed hotels had it not been for the Jubilee making the whole area extra busy.
On a plus side the food was very good, but be aware that the dining experience is very formal so not everyones cup of tea...
On check out they tried to charge extra for a bottle of wine with the evening meal that I was told was included when I booked. After a bit of discussion they changed the bill.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in the Kings Room. Did not disappoint. The website photos do not do justice for that room. Stunning. Breathtaking. Huge room, fireplace was so grand, hard to describe but there were seats either side inside it, could walk actually inside it. 4 poster bed-so comfy. Original murals on the walls. His & hers sinks, jacuzzi bath with T.V. too. Balcony, seating area, I could go on..... Loved our stay, staff very friendly. Ate at the hotel on one of the nights stay. Food was lovely. Breakfast great-impressed with the choice. Although the Kings Room is more pricey, my boyfriend and I both think it is worth every penny....and especially to be able to say you have stayed in HIS room!

1 Thank PaulnTash
Peebles
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Arrived at the hotel and was told that they didn't have my booking confirmation. Not a problem....just found a room for me straight away and that was that. This happens many times with my travel agent when I'm away on business and in the other hotels it's made out to be a monumental problem.....not this time.
Room was large, clean and well appointed with a mini bar too. Service was efficient and friendly both at reception and restaurant.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
England
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed here just to get away and have a night away.

Upon arriving we were escorted to a separate building, Langtry Lodge - which was okay, but didn't expect to be staying elsewhere. We had to walk with our suitcase over the road.

The hotel itself was very nice, elegant and spacious. The bar was nice and quiet and the barman very friendly indeed. Brought drinks to our sofa, with some nuts and olives. Relaxing way to start dinner. Bit of a downside was the selection of beers was a bit on the small side. Becks Vier or Boddies I think was the choice. But never mind, the wine was nice.

We had dinner in the restaurant which I was told was pretty famous. It didn't disappoint. Absolutely gorgeous. Best meal I have eaten in a few years, thats a rave review for you.

The room was alright, not quite as luxurious as I was expecting but had a nice big jacuzzi bath and the bed was very comfortable indeed. Was extremely hard to get out of in the morning.

Breakfast was either continental or cooked. So obviously cooked breakfast was the choice. and it didn't disappoint either - like an extension of the lovely dinner the night before.

Overall, it was a nice stay but probably wouldn't stay again as was quite expensive for what the room was. The dinner at £100 for two people was definitely worth it though.