“Buyer Beware”

Langtry Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 12 June 2008

I was lured in by the offer of the four poster bed and the Jacuzzi in the room I guess also the royal links that were mentioned gave you some idea of history and the quotes on the hotels webpage of reviews they have had really do give you the impression that the hotel is really quite grand and luxurious. This I felt was really not the case.

I booked the hotel as a romatnic nigght away for my girlefriends birthday thinking wow she'll love this, what a dissapointment it was!

Upon arrival I must say we were greeted by the friendly reception staff and room issued over at the Langtry Lodge which is across the road, no problem I thought. We were issued with the Ascot room (again all sounds very regal). The Lodge is a seperate building that lacks any character or atmosphere as experienced in the main hotel. The Ascot room did have a smart flatscreen TV, mini bar, tea/coffee making facilities but for £115 for one night I would have at least expected some fruit or drinking water in the room! The room itself had the four poster bed which actually turned out to be 2 beds on top of each other with some wood badly screwed into the bottom - Alarm bells started to ring at this point. There was what looked like a very large red wine stain all over the drab carpet and the bed linen has seen better days. Moving into the bathroom the Jacuzzi as advertised was no more than a spa bath, not really what I had in mind. the Cheap shower head had no pressure at all and water trickled out. Overall coniditon was really used and in direneed of updating.

Breakfast - Food was good, served quickly and hot. No sweetners - must be the only hotel in the world not to have canderal or access to Tesco. Got told that we couldn't sit next to the window as it would mean having to lay another table so we ended up next to the kitchen door with everyone coming in and out.

On checking out I informed reception that I was dissapointed with the dirty room and items missing from the mini bar and all that came was a shrug of the shoulders.

I will not be returning and will adivse that you have been warned!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobNBangers
There are newer reviews for Langtry Manor Hotel

Reviewed 19 May 2008

My work took me last week to a conference in Bournemouth, I searched out Yahoo for a place to stay and was given a few choices. I read a review on a portal about the Langtry Manor and decided to take the chance and book four nights via their website.

My arrival at the Langtry Manor was a surprise as I had expected all pomp and circumstance. Instead I was greeted personally by the staff in a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

I had one of the more smaller rooms that came complete with a Jacuzzi and that I can only describe as a luxury bed. Though I only ate breakfast at the hotel and one dinner I can say the food and service was first rate - look out for their fillet steak with a bottle of Bordeaux followed by a passion fruit creme caramel...

My only complaint with the Langtry would be that there is no night porter service, but was told eventually it is only a phone call away if I needed it.

The Langtry Manor suited me fine, they had WiFi allowing me to work from my room with my laptop, and it was a few minutes walk to the beach which really made an otherwise dull work trip a pleasure.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 15 May 2008

Let me preface this by saying that I normally stay at The Marriott but where I arrived without a reservation and because of a large Conference in town it was 100% full along with most others in the Centre.

I asked a friend to call around and was eventually offered a Double at a Single rate of £99 B&B at The Langtry. I took a chance because I had heard good things.

I arrived about 6 pm and completed the reservation and was handed my key and ONLY then told that I was NOT in the main building but in the Lodge which was about 100 yards away. Not really far but there was later a torrential rain storm just before I went to eat. No umbrellas !! In addition I was given 2 keys, one for the front door another for my room.....it felt somewhat insecure as anyone could have the front door key kept from a previous stay.

The double bed was very small, smaller than a Queen size and the bedding was strange as there was no top sheet (certainly no duvet) but a blanket and a bedspread.

I dined at the hotel and the food was typical hotel fayre.....expensive £32 for 2 courses.

For me the worst part was at Breakfast.....when I asked for Sweeteners I was told that they did not have but "Chef would make a note of this" As a diabetic I do not use sugar and I cannot think of any other hotel I have stayed at where an alternative was not avaiable.

I mentioned this at the front desk and the Male Clerk shrugged and said "We have heard this before". I know its only a small thing but for a Hotel that boasts of its Cuisine I would have expected them to have had Sweeteners for my coffee.

Would I return.....definitely NOT.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank brian_uk12000
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Having found this hotel on the net and checked out the web site and having seen positive reviews on trip advisor we decided to book the Desrali Suite for a one night romantic escape before our baby arrrives in Sept, I called the hotel to check availability and spoke to a lovely lady and was told the room was vacant and the rate would be £178.00 for one night B&B, advised by hotel if I booked online it would be £175. Decided just to save the hassle and book there and then over the phone.

Upon arrival in the room it was initially impressive with nice fabric's, neutral colours and was spotlessly clean. Unfortunatley the stay went down hill majorly as soon as we put our bags down:

* The room has no sound proofing and we could hear every customer checking in and out at reception next door to our room, as well as staff conversations and the phone constantly ringing throughout the night as well as the day. It felt very uncomfortable as we felt we could not even have a conversation without the reception staff hearing.

* No hand soap provided so we had to use the shower gel we took with us after we had been to the bathroom.

* Light fitting hanging from the cieling in the bedroom.

* For £178 per night we expected at least drinking water in the room.

* Tried to run a bath and there was no hot water for the bath or shower. (same again the following morning)

* Plug provided for the bath was the wrong size (too big) so water would not stay in the tub, reported to reception who got a plug for us from another room that was then too small and gave us a screwdriver of all things to help wedge in the plug and remove it. When I eventually filled the "luxury zacuzzi bath" with luke warm water I found the zacuzzi feature did not even work! By the time we both had a cold bath and shower we were then late for the evening we had booked out as the staff were faffing about in the room for 45 mins over the bath plug.

* TV's in both the small lounge room and bedroom have poor reception.

* The bed was made of two matresses, one new and 2 inches higher than the other and the other was old and wrecked with springs poking out everywhere, I got up with marks on my thighs from the springs in the morning (and I'm not very heavy at 5 foot 1 and 9 stone even pregnant) did not get 5 minutes sleep.

* The breakfast was not good, the staff had no english and brought me coffee 3 times before the kitchen Manager had to come out and find out why I kept sending the coffee back (because I asked for decaf tea) the cutlery was unclean and service terrible. The waitress plonked our food in front of another couple who then tried to get a staff members attention for 5 minutes to say they did not order a cooked breakfast. Eventually, our cold breakfast arrived.

* Upon arriving back in our room after our evening out we noticed the window had been left open, neither of us had opened the window as they looked like the type of sash windows that might be painted closed, we were very unhappy from a security point of view as all of our belongings including car keys, laptop and mobile phones etc were all in the room. (The room is street level)

Upon check out I had decided we were so annoyed with everything having just had another cold shower and exhausted from a terrible nights sleep we just wanted to pay and get out of the place. Upon settling our bill the rate had suddenly increased to £228 from £175......with this I reported all of the above issues to the staff members on reception and detailed my dissatisfaction with our stay and the whole service provided to us (provided in writing also). The reception staff were unsympathetic and said they would get someone to contact us. It's been nearly two weeks now and not even a phone call by way of apology recieved from the Langtry Manor Hotel....

We would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone or ever dream of returning, the workmanship in the newly refurbed rooms is cheap and shoddy. The breakfast is terrible and the staff and Management unhelpful, what should have been a romantic last get away before our baby arrives was a stressful expensive experience. I feel upset that this hotel ruined our weekend in Bournemouth and did not even have the decency to follow up with a letter or phone call of apology.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple