“A Day To Remember”

Langtry Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Our Daughter and Son In Law booked their wedding at the Langtry Manor on 16th May 2013 and from the moment the booking was made they were guided and looked after all the way through the planning stages, Pat the wedding co-ordinator is first class, calm and caring.
The wedding day was fantastic with amazing service,food and surroundings. All of the guests at the wedding were so impressed with the day nothing was too much trouble ,Pat and her staff were so attentive. If anyone wants a wedding day to remember We would highly recommend the Langtry they made our Daughters wedding day so special, and even upgraded the happy couple to the Gold Cup Room free of charge. We have visited the Langtry on a number of occasions and each time they were faultless. Looking forward to our next visit!!!!

Room Tip: All are good
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank enjoytherest

Reviewed 27 August 2013

My and my partner stayed here for a 2 night romantic get away . We did a a lot of research online to try and find a romantic luxury hotel . The Langtry manor sold it for us when we seen the luxury rooms that boasts four poster beds and 2 person jacuzzi baths . When looking on there website they had so many rooms to choose from that I decided to ask if it would be possible for us to stay in a different room on both nights so we could get to try 2 different rooms . I decided to stay in the Gold cup room on the first night as this room looked fantastic on the website . With a beautiful four poster bed and a huge jacuzzi bath in the bedroom . Whilst talking to reception staff via email they recommended some of the other luxury rooms for the 2nd night one of which was the Emily Le Breton room so we went for that one, the total stay for only 2 nights was a very expensive £637 We decided to go for the room and meal option on the first night and just room and breakfast on the 2nd night so at this high price we new we would be getting real luxury. we also paid to have a bottle of champagne in our room and a box of chocolates to make it extra special. On arrival when we checked in reception staff were very polite . I was expecting to be offered a complimentary tea / coffee and shortbread on arrival as this was advertised on there website . So I was a little disappointed when we did not get offered this as we had just travelled over 2 hours and had been stuck in really bad bank holiday traffic . We were escorted to the lodge across the road to our room . The lodge it's self was really nice . And our room the Gold cup was really fantastic . It certainly had the wow factor for us. The box of chocolates we had paid for were on the bed ! But the champagne I had paid for to have in the room on arrival wasn't . So I had to ring reception and ask for it . I thought that was a bit disappointing and did spoil the moment for us . I also I asked reception if I could borrow a iron and this was brought to our room quickly . Unfortunately it did not work . So again I had to ring reception and ask for another . My partner wanted a shower before getting ready for our meal . Only to find there was something wrong with the water pressure and there was hardly any water coming out . So yet again whilst still waiting for a replacement iron to be brought to the room I rang reception and told them there was a problem with our shower . I was informed someone would come look at it . About 40 minutes later a young lady turns up with a replacement iron . I asked her to look at the shower. She agreed it was broken and that she would let reception know . Well we didn't hear anything back about it so the first night I went out with out having a shower . We headed to the manor for our meal a little early so we could have a pre drink . After reading reviews on here before our stay it seemed that being offered a complimentary drink before dinner was the done thing here . And for the price you pay I would expect that. Well yet again we didn't get offered a complimentary drink. The meal itself was lovely 3 courses and it couldn't be faulted. It was with out a doubt the nicest meal I've ever had . The next day we went for breakfast which was also lovely . We then had to check out of the Gold cup room and were told to come back at 2pm to check in to our new room . I was so excited all day to see our 2nd room. When we checked in and headed to our new room which this time was located in the manor this time it was a huge disappointment . The room was so small . No wow factor and didn't have a luxury feel to it . To me it was a nice double room but not luxury !! The four poster bed was small. The bathroom was tiny with a jacuzzi bath and this most certainly was not a 2 person jacuzzi bath . Me and my partner were utterly shocked and disappointed that we had paid the same rate to stay in this room as what the Gold Cup was. I strongly disagree that the Emily le Breton room warrants the same price as the Gold cup it should be charged much less . There was nothing luxury about it . There was stains on the carpet and cup marks on furniture . This really ruined mine and my partners break we felt like we had been totally ripped off after staying in such a luxury room the first night for the same price . We did try the apparent 2 person jacuzzi that night but it was impossible to fit 2 people In . We didn't want to spend any time in the room due to it being such a disappointment so we went into Bournemouth that night instead . In the morning we quickly packed . Headed for breakfast again. This time it wasn't so nice under cooked poached eggs and extremely runny scrambled and over cooked toast . We checked out and left . All in all I think this hotel lacks added extras to warrant the price of the rooms . More needs to be done to make you feel that little bit more special and to feel that added luxury to warrant the price you have paid . I would stay in the gold cup room again but not at the price it's charged. And I really think the other room prices need to be lowered considerably . I can't stress enough how much of a disappointment our second night stay was really ruined our expensive romantic break ..... More needs to be done for such a high rate charge.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Charlieh001
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This is the 5th time I have stayed in this hotel. My wife loves the Lillie Langtry history. I have to say I was not happy with my latest stay. We were housed in the lodge and the room we had was very small. It was en-suite but the bathroom was also tiny. There was hardly any cupboard space for clothes etc.... so we kept most of our items in the suitcase. The cleaners did not once hoover our rooms which I think is just downright lazy. I also noticed that some of the staff live in the Lodge, in fact the room next to me had staff living there. It does not make you feel like you are in a special hotel when you are living among the staff. We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel and I am sorry to say this was a poor experience. First of all I did not like the fact that some of the staff were scruffy, what happened to looking smart with clean polished shoes and ironed clothes. The restaurant has gone downhill dramatically since my first stay. I am not sure why but I would describe it as below average at best. The first morning we sat for ages at breakfast waiting to be served whilst everyone who arrived after we did was served and had left before we ate. The choice of cereals at breakfast is very poor, 3 basic cereal is not good enough. There is also a lack of speads such as cheese and marmite etc... the only spread was jam. At dinner I has steak and chips with under cooked chips and a very average steak. The dining experience at Langtry used to be special, you were looked after by an excellant maître d', instead you are now greeted by one of a few very young and inefficient staff who do not really know what is happening. Why has it gone downhill in such a dramatic fashion. For the money you pay there are a lot better hotels than this where you will get good service and far more value for your money.

Room Tip: Do not go to the lodge!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank kevin g
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Having taken a wrong turn enroute we were a little frazzled on arrival but we were pleased to eventually find the hotel on Derby Road. On arrival it was suggested we leave our luggage to be served with refreshments (which we chose to take in the garden) until our room was ready and that was a brilliant relaxing start to our few days away. Check-in was easy and the staff in the hotel were pleasant, attentive and helpful.

The Mary Malcolm room was very well appointed and brilliantly located in the Manor House itself and as it was a special anniversary stay for us, I really appreciated the single red rose and chocs in the room. The room was a little warm but the weather was warm and we threw open the sash window.

The bathroom however is very tiny and the "walk-in-shower" (as it was described) was NOT very special!! We have stayed many places around the world and this really was a big disappointment. I have since read other reviews and see this same fact has featured previously; so to others reading review/s, please be aware of this as it really is a disappointment to an otherwise lovely room.

We took a walk to the beach which is reasonably close and with 7 miles of sandy beach and not much commercialisation it is really relaxing (and we were lucky with sunny weather).

We were on a package basis which included dinner and breakfast and the food was lovely (although the dinner was richer than we are used to). Although there was something of a wait occasionally this didn't really bother us as we were "on holiday" for a couple of days and could take the time to relax and enjoy the stained-glass window and other room features in the dining room whilst waiting.

We had friends join us for our final night's dinner and they also very much enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and lovely food. Thank you again Langtry Manor for the meringue swans and certificate from "Edward VIII's Love Nest". It will go in my album with my photos from our visit.

I was impressed that the Kings Room was open for residents to view - it is spectacular and is so much an integral part of the history of the property.

With so many hotels to choose from in/around Bournemouth, I believe Langtry Manor is rather unique and special and that is really why we chose it in the first place. Something unique which has a warm and friendly feel rather than feeling like just a number in a large chain hotel establishment.

With Langtry Manor being so unique and very special, I suspect that every room is different so it really is a lottery that you get accommodated in whatever fits for you. The website is helpful to "see" rooms but nothing beats actually being there!!

I would stay at Langtry Manor again but would try and book a master double (depending on our budget) or at least be sure of a proper sized bathroom!!

If you are going, enjoy your stay - we did - and hopefully these few comments will be useful.

Room Tip: Ask about the bathroom! The Manor House itself has a warmer feel than the Lodge.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carol T
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

With so many hotels to choose from in Bournemouth, it is a challenge to pick a good one.
Having stayed at the Langtry manor previously, it was an easy decision to return.
All the staff are really friendly, from the welcoming reception to the housekeepers.
As a family of 4, we required 2 rooms and this was accommodated with a double and a twin next door. No interconnecting option here.
At very short notice, i requested an additional night and the receptionist did a great job of juggling reservations and only changing one of our rooms.
Breakfast is a very pleasant affair with a great cooked breakfast brought to you rather than buffet style. The cold buffet section is a tad sparse but the basics are always available.
The rooms are pleasant enough, in both stays, no view from the window and the bathrooms always feel dated although clean.
Location is nice and quiet and the beach is only a five minute walk away although the nearest section of the beach is in between Boscombe and Bournemouth pier. Either one a further 10-15 minute walk away.
Yes, there are much nicer hotels out there but most probably not in Bournemouth as there seems to be a lack of investment in this seaside resort.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank EllisGl
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed at the Langtry Manor Hotel whilst attending a funeral. OMG the room was massive and had a jacuzzi bath for 2 in the room. The hotel is split into the main house and the lodge. All of the rooms are different and the decor is good with wide open staircases. Food is very good even though I thought the breakfast could have been better. Staff were exceptional and friendly, we have booked to do a murder mystery in November as we enjoyed out stay so much the first time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tragril1
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Mt boyfriend and I decided to go down to Bournemouth to enjoy the hot weather. We arrived 3hrs before official check-in but were lucky as our room was ready so we were able to go straight up.

We had booked the small double which was at the top of the main house. There was no noise whatsoever but the bathroom was tiny, you couldn't even move around in it. Bathroom definitely needs updating: the carpet it in needs removing and something needs to be done about the water pressure in the shower. It was nearly a dribble. We did however appreciate the fan in the room. It was much appreciated.

The hotel was full the first night so we were unable to change rooms but on the 2nd night the staff were very helpful in getting changed. The 2nd room bathroom was much more current with better water shower.

We didn't have dinner in the hotel so can't comment on the food but the breakfast was lovely, great variety and the staff were very helpful. The chef even baked us fresh croissants when we were the last couple.

Location: walking distance to the beach and is closer to Boscombe Pier than Bournemouth which is about a 30min walk but a can to the town is only £5 or so. Free car parking for the whole stay which was very useful.

Overall great value for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013