“a weekend getaway”

Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Brighton, United Kingdom
“a weekend getaway”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Having had to work over valentine's weekend I wanted to surprise my other half and in all honesty stumbled upon the langtry website, it was to be one of my better decisions, and one that I can honestly say hand on heart I would recomend to anybody.
The service from start to finish was beyond first class, the staff were attentive and have a pride and passion for the place. We have stayed in other hotels, some more expensive some cheaper and have always felt ready to go home, yes they were nice, but the Langtry Manor was totally different, my fiance asked me if we could have just one more day, thats never happened before !!!
Everyone should at one stage in their life should be able to experience the hospitality and the opulence of the Langtry Manor.
One last thing if you go try and book the Edwardian Banquet, but be prepared dont eat anything after breakfast !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
John H, Head Butler at Langtry Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here and appreciated both the building and our efforts to make the weekend memorable. We are pleased when you are pleased!

We very much look forward to seeing you again. Do remember that we give a special 10% reduction on return bookings booked directly with us.

Thank you once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We arrived on a stormy wet & windy Friday night on the 14th February and we were led accros the road to the Lodge which we were not aware of when we booked this hotel through Room fro Romance. The romm was quite small and there was a 6' x4' ploystyrene picture of Buhdha's face on the wall - we are not into Buhdha.
The restaurant in the main buiilding served the Valnatine's Dinner but my wife could not eat the starter she chose nor could she enjoy the duck that followed as it was tough.
We left on the Saturday and came home and went and had a chinese.

3 Thank Brian P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I would like to point out that we are a boutique hotel which means that all the rooms are different. Many people like the room you were allocated with its calm oriental touch however we did not know you had an aversion to Buddha and would have been delighted to have shown you another room had you asked.

We always inform guests at the time of booking which building they are booking for, some prefer the Manor and others the Lodge. We are unhappy if there was a problem of communication on this point.

The valentines meal was practically unanimously reported as being excellent and there was a choice of four starters, we do cater for special dietary requirements so it is hard to understand why your wife was unable to eat any of them. When there is an issue like that our chef is always delighted to prepare a dish specially for the person concerned. I myself have tried the duck and not found it tough so there must have been an issue with your particular one. Once again on the rare occasions this happens our staff are all too pleased to replace the dish with something else.

Finally your overall rating does not reflect the individual ratings you gave. As we explained to you you by phone had you taken the time to check out and pay before leaving the hotel We would have had an opportunity to resolve the issues you raised.
Eastcote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

After purchasing two nights in a standard double through a well-known discount website, we paid extra through the hotel to upgrade to one of their more luxurious rooms. We opted to stay in the manor part of the hotel (the lodge is across the road) and chose the Lilly Langtry room which looked perfect given the four poster bed, balcony and Jacuzzi.

What did we like?
- The overall atmosphere is quaint and relaxing with the hotel conveniently placed on a quiet road within a short walk of the station and town centre.
- All of the reception staff we spoke to were very welcoming and helpful and tried their best to resolve some of the issues I will mention below.
- We were lucky with the weather and were able to enjoy lunch on the room’s private balcony overlooking the garden.
- There is also various exhibits/memorabilia on display which give an interesting insight into the history of the building (Lillie Langtry’s relationship with Edward VII).

What could have been better?
A combination of minor issues meant our overall experience turned from potentially very good to average.
- When we wanted to use the Jacuzzi on the first night the water was barely warm. Although reception checked that there wasn’t an obvious problem with the boiler and contacted maintenance the next morning, this was disappointing as the Jacuzzi made up a fair chunk of the upgrade price. The temperature was fine the following evening although it still took an hour to fill up.
- The latch on the large window/door which opens out onto the balcony was broken and wouldn’t close properly. This caused a lot of noise in the heavy wind on the second night.
- Breakfast was spoilt by the meat being overcooked.
- Our room information advised there were DVDs available at reception, however most of the cases were empty.
- Frustratingly, the Wi-Fi was also very temperamental.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting a review. We do take them seriously and they help us improve. I am glad that you liked our beautiful hotel its tradition and ambiance as well as the reception and the lunch you had on the balcony.

I do apologise that the water for the Jacuzzi was not hot when you first tried it. In a listed building plumbing is one of the challenges. I do hope that nevertheless you had a good value stay. As for the latch on the window we have fitted a new one but these go regularly and maintenance is to install a different type of latch this week.

All our breakfasts are cooked to order, and each person has different preferences as to how they like the bacon. We have taken account of your comment and instructed chef not to cook the bacon as much. You should have been offered a change if this did not happen please let me know. As for the sausages, we serve very meaty sausages and if they are not well cooked the centre can be pink, this disturbs some people so we tend to cook them well. An easy solution would be to use low meat sausages which a high breadcrumb content, these would be cheaper but lower quality. It is a constant fight to get this balance right so as to offer the best quality possible.

I do take your point about the Wifi which is being upgraded. You are absolutely right about the selection of DVD's which does need improvement and will be improved shortly.

So once again thank you for your constructive comments, I hope you will return one day soon to have a wonderful stay.
Wareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Was looking forward to our stay here but was a little disappointed. The service to the food to the rooms, everything was just very average. Not particularly bad just very average. Although out of date milk in the room is a bit bad............

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank 789mark
Dear Guest,

Our hotel is a boutique hotel and each room is different. You review does not indicate any specific areas to improve however I would love to hear what things you liked if anything and which areas you would like to see improved. Please do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email so that we can see how to please you better.

I would point out that the vast majority of reviews we receive are excellent or good and that the hotel is in a beautiful period building built by a king of England so it is far from average.
Swanage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I will start with the positives - good housekeeping, room clean & the red rose & chocolates on the bed upon arrival were a lovely touch (stayed valentines weekend). We did have some concerns regarding our room type before arrival however Ben was very helpful & I believe in giving credit where credit is due & in this instance Ben did us proud with a gorgeous 4 poster bed in the lodge.
However for the negatives which did unfortunately out weigh the positives.
Upon arrival we checked in with a lady who seemed quite flustered. Unfortunately after checking in we waited a good 5 minutes for someone to help us to our room with our bags but no one appeared. We offered to take ourselves over to the lodge as we were tired & wanted to go to the room as quickly as possible. We were given the key and went alone. It states when you book porterage was included so already we were feeling a bit let down. However upon seeing the room our spirits were lifted & we were satisfied we had made the right choice booking.
We went for dinner, we read online we were meant to be seated in the lounge for a Pre dinner drink & canapés, however we were put straight into the restaurant. Our table was about a foot away from 2 other diners & their conversation was all too clear for a valentines dinner for 2! We were given canapés, when I asked what they were I was told 'just canapés', very unprofessional & quite frankly unhelpful. I was all too aware of what they were but I would like to know what I was eating.
Order of service was all wrong, wine being poured during our starter. Only given about 4 or 5 minutes to choose from the menu. The service was far too rushed & quite intrusive. We felt like they wanted diners in & out as quick as possible. We requested a break between main & dessert & were given no more than 7 minutes! 3 course meal plus palate cleanser & we were finished in under an hour!
We decided to relax in the lounge only to find there was no seating as there were a lot of non residents that evening so we got a drink & went back to our room. So much for a romantic valentines evening,
Also in the room 4 of the 6 milk portions were out of date.
Also we told reception on 3 different occasions we did not want dinner on the second night & that they would deduct it from our bill. Only to see it on our bill on check out. We told them again & the gentleman told us it was already taken off to which I asked him to refer to our confirmation letter & then it was finally sorted!
Also if we are being nit picky, at breakfast one of the waitresses was wearing a black hoodie, highly unprofessional.
Also my partner was offered extra items with his breakfast, he asked for an extra egg, it never came. Not a problem but shows their attention to detail.
With all the above said, I wrote all these points on a feedback form which I left with reception. I purposely waited over a week to write this review as I wanted to give them a chance to follow up our concerns / feedback however no one has yet! It would of been nice to have received a response from someone who cared our valentines weekend was not as expected.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank lauraperrysandbanks
Pamela H, Owner at Langtry Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We do take them seriously. I am so glad you appreciated the quality of the service and the lovely room you were allocated.

I do regret that you had to wait five minutes for a porter at a very busy time.It is a pity that this dissapointed you so much.

As for the milk in your room this is something which should never happen an initial investigation into this has been held and we have taken action to ensure this point is specifically adressed when each room is cleaned.

Our restaurant staff do have proper uniforms and there is no excuse for wearing a hoody. We do not however have them line up to be inspected before they serve breakfast. The person concerned has been identified and disciplined appropriately. I do know that many peope came in for breakfast at the same time that morning and am so sorry that your extra egg was forgotten. I trust you pointed this out and the issue was resolved.

Thank you once again for going to the trouble of writing a review.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We recently stayed at the hotel to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary. It was a wonderful weekend, all the staff were friendly and welcoming and the food and service excellent. Our room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. It was interesting to learn the history of the building and the life of 'Lilli' particularly the 'monologue' on her life which was part of the excellent Edwardian Banquet. We have already recommended the hotel to friends and hope to return in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: The Jersey Lily room is extremely comfortable and very, very quiet.
Dear Guests,

I am so glad you enjoyed your Golden Wedding anniversary so at Langtry Manor it is a unique day and something to be very proud of.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Everyone was very friendly and very helpful in organising this special surprise 90th Birthday party. From the manager to the waiter the service was excellent, and the food delicious. Excellent value for money and would recommend this hotel for any family celebrations.

Room Tip: Did not sleep at the hotel but can recommend the Gladstone room for private parties.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your review. I did hear that everyone had enjoyed the afternoon and am very pleased to read your confirmation.

We look forward to seeing you again for the 91'st.