“Good service in a very tired hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wessex Hotel

Wessex Hotel
Ranked #41 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Good service in a very tired hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at Wessex Hotel for 16 days recently. The hotel is an old, Victorian seaside hotel which seems to have been last renovated at the height of the 1970's DIY craze. The whole hotel desperately, needs to be revamped to improve the quality for the guests in every way. Although the hotel was usually quiet during the week days, at weekends it is busy. My room was on the second floor and every time I went to or from it I was expecting someone to come out of their room to see what was going on. Honestly, every single floorboard and every single stair creaked like I was in a Hammer House of Horrors movie! The reverse was also true. I was often woken by people walking along the corridors and slamming shut the innumerable fire doors.

Having said all that; the hotel pretty clean and my single room, which was tiny, it was cleaned thoroughly everyday.

Breakfast and dinner were included for my stay and they were both very good. There was a very comprehensive breakfast menu and the dinner menu was supplemented, each day, by a few extra dishes. The food was very enjoyable but I got the impression that chef was capable of far greater things, if only the reins had been taken off. If this hotel gets the refurbishment that it needs, this chef and this overly large restaurant could become an attraction.

The staff are very friendly, attentive and helpful. Especially when I had to ask for a new internet connection password every two days (not sure why they have that policy).

The pool, although very small and circular is warm and there is a tiny gym with a few, mainly broken, pieces of equipment. However, I was very concerned to see a lady unwinding a mains power extension cable from the gym and plugging in her CD player on the poolside. When I informed the staff at the desk and explained the danger involved, she simply shrugged her shoulders and laughed!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Wessex Hotel. It was reasonably good value, clean and there was always something entertaining going on.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tony C
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
St James Hotels acquired the Wessex in March this year and we are currently reviewing every area of the hotel. I can assure you that the floorboards in the corridors are on the list.
In regards to the food offerings, new menus designed by our chef are currently at the printers and we hope to launch these by the end of June.
I understand it can be frustrating having to get a new code for the wi-fi every two days, the majority of our trade is from 1-2 night stays and the system has a limit of 200 users.
The wi-fi in the hotel is now free and a lot faster than the previous btopenzone system that it replaced.
In regards to the leisure club, thank you for highlighting what the water aerobics instructor did with the extension, she knows better than this and she has been informed that if this occurs again, we will cancel her class.
I am also happy to advise that we have some new equipment coming in for the gym at the end of the month to repair the damaged equipment that was in the gym.
Thank you again for using the Wessex and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here on the recent bank holiday weekend, most other hotels had been booked, and the reason why this one was available seemed obvious on arrival.

The outside of the large imposing white building is desperately in need of repair, with paint peeling from the exterior walls.

Luckily we had a room on the second floor - i do feel sorry for anyone staying on the first floor with everyone having to walk past their rooms with the floorboards creaking all the time - hopefully if you stay in one of those rooms you will take earplugs.

Our room seemed very tired, even though we paid for a superior room, the wallpaper was torn, curtains didn't meet in the middle and the noisy car park was just below with coaches having their engines on for an hour before it was required.

I would not stay here again through choice, especially for the process charged

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for your review Eastbourneguy,

As mentioned by my previous reponses, St James Hotels purchased the hotel in March this year, we are aware of the tired decor around the building and have started with an internal refurbishment program with the view of a more extensive program commencing when the company obtains the building freehold.

The hotel is very competitively priced when compared to similar standard hotels in the area, the hotel also includes free use of our leisure facilities, free wi-fi and free car parking, all of which often incur extra charges when staying at other hotels in the area.

We hope you use the Wessex again in the future.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Furniture in room was dated, sheets were nylon and there was peeling paper in the hallway and peeling paint in the spa. Won't be returning and would have been gutted if it had been a romantic break. Staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast was fine, didn't eat dinner.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ktnkev
Thanks you for your review Ktnkev,

As mentioned by my previous reponses, we are aware of the tired decor around the building, we have started with an internal refurbishment program with the view of a more extensive program commencing when the company obtains the freehold.
Im delighted that you found teh staff friendly and helpful and I will pass these comments onto the team.

I hope you choose to use the Wessex again in the future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Needed accommodation for Saturdeay and Sunday as going to see a concert at the BIC. This hotel was near the venue and the price was good. Booked through Superbreaks.

Great hotel, good location - ten minutes from beach, town centre and BIC. Free car park. Bar and restaurant staff very helpful and friendly. Food for dinner and breakfast was tasty with good choice and large portions. Room and hotel very clean and tidy. Couldnt have asked for more. No complaints and had an great weekend.

Room Tip: Request a room near to the lifts if you have trouble in walking.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenny H
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Many Thanks for your review Jenny H,

Were delighted that your enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future. Should you wish to book with us again, contact us directly and we will beat any price you see online.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Wessex hotel is certainly in a good location a moments stroll to the beach - location, food and amenities worked for us.

The only downside was the bedrooms and the extremely tired decor around the hotel, there was also a funny smell around. The wallpaper in the bedroom had brown marks on it, furniture in the rooms had holes through it and there was no fan or opening window in the bathroom so you couldn't extract the heat.

The hotel cost just over £500 for a two night stay which was the top end of our budget, was booked less than two months ago so we knew it was due to be expensive.

Could be a lovely hotel again, would recommend it to be refurbished before anyone else stays here.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014

Im sorry but I found your review alittle confusing, you stated on the title that it was a last minute booking but then stated in your review that you booked two months in advance.

The weekend in question was a Bank Holiday where rates in the town are at a premium, the weekend also had the Bournemouth Wheels Festival so there was a large demand for bedrooms in the town. That being said, our rates are very reasonable and in line with similar standard hotels within the area. We dont charge in excess of £250 per night as your review indicates, so your review is alittle misleading, perhaps the rates you were paying were for 2 or more rooms??

St Albans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

When I was a young child we used to say at this hotel every year. 25 years later I decided to return: you cannot argue with the location. It's perfect.

I feel the negative reviews are unfair, especially with regards to the refurb. This is an old hotel - a 'modern' look would destroy the character of the hotel. My room was large, clean and comfortable. What more can you ask for? It's definitely worth paying extra for the Premium room as you get a fridge - useful for soya milk (I'm fussy) and the room is very spacious.

My one complaint would be that the scrambled eggs were bland and watery. Not a massive issue obviously, but I'm a vegetarian that doesn't eat cereal. They had Marmite though - has my vote!!

Will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank TINKYv84
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thankyou for your review TINKYv84,

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I spoke to my chef over the weekend regarding the scrambled eggs as it was pointed out in an earlier review that there was little to no seasoning, it was much nicer this morning and rest assured, I will be keeping my eye on this over the coming weeks.

We hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We staying in the hotel with a groupon voucher which was really good value. The hotel was looking sorry for itself and getting old (peeling wallpaper, old fashioned decor) but it was very clean and the rooms were spacious. The staff were lovely and the company make no secret that they are looking forward to updating the hotel when they can.

We took a walk into town which only took 10 minutes and went to a bar, then came back and went in the pool which was great to have in a hotel around this area. We had a comfortable stay and then a delicious afternoon tea after late check out. I really enjoyed my stay and when it's decorated I will definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanksyou for your review Laurenlovesblog,

I delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. You are correct, we are looking to carry out refurbishment works within and around the building, no major projects will commence until we obtain the free hold but we have begun an internal refurbishment project today.

We hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future