“Well worth a visit”
Review of Wessex Hotel

Wessex Hotel
Ranked #40 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Arrived early so we could make the most of our 2 night stay that my daughter and partner had purchased for us for xmas.
Check in was handled friendly and quick by the recepionest . Our room was;nt ready which was not a problem so left the car in the large car park and walked the 5 mins to the beach. Came back at 2pm and was pleasantly surprised when we went to our room . For a standard double it was big with a separate large bathroom with over bath shower. Bed very comfortable.Rooms and hotel very clean.
We used the pool which was warm .They also provide towels.
Breakfast very good choice of cooked breakfast ,cereals ,fruit and youghts. Free Wifi
Very good location plenty of choices to eat.
Overall I would stay here again.
People need to realise this is a 3 star not a 5 star and stop being so picky.

Room Tip: We were in room 273 on 2nd floor at back .No noise
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda L
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went and used a voucher from our son and his wife and added an extra day. Outdoor and indoor pool facility and the reception and bar area are clean & comfortable nice bar with food available. the breakfast was ok but the bedrooms really need a complete overhaul and the bathroom was awful.. Water hot all clean but the shower was just a clip on version that as soon as water turned on it swivelled and sprayed the room.

Room Tip: Check out the bathroom 1st
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

As I have stated on several other reponses, St James Hotels aquired the hotel in March of this year, we are aware that the rooms are tired and we are currently carrying out an internal refurbishment program and have to date refurbished 5 bedrooms.

We believe that the hotel pricing is in line with other hotels of similar standard within the town and we also include free car parking, wi-fi and use of the hotels leisure facilities within our rates.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I know the Wessex gets some negative feedback but personally until now I have always enjoyed my stays there; the staff have been pleasant, the food is OK and I like the faded Victorian splendour. Having spent over £2,000 in the Wessex over the last year imagine my surprise when they would not accept a room cancellation and insisted on charging me. I gave them the opportunity to refund me and pointed out the terms and conditions sent to me after my pre-payment included cancellation. I will not be staying at the Wessex again and contemplating court action to get my money back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul G

Unfortunately you booked an Advance saver rate which is several pounds cheaper than our standard rate but is non refundable, amendable and transferable. This was clearly stated on the website that you booked on. You had the option of booking the slightly more expensive rate which was £4.50 more on the night in question and can be cancelled without charge up until noon on the day but opted not to.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having read some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive about what I would find. My experience was different from some of the reviews.

The Hotel is in a good central location with a busy, but not too noisy road outside. I am a Londoner and used to traffic noise and to me it was not intrusive but you need to make your own judgement on this. One appealing feature is the very large car park. Yes, the outside of the hotel does require repainting but it is not that noticeable unless you look closely. The staff were very good indeed on several occasions about offering to help my 88 year old Mum use a main entrance stair lift to climb the 10 steps to the 1st floor Reception and public areas.

My booking in was handled efficently and in a friendly way by the receptionist. The public areas and bar are comfortable and there is plenty of seating. There are two lifts, a small 2 person lift by the 1st floor reception going as far the 3rd Floor and a second lift going to the 4th floor which takes 8 people and needs better signing. Our two rooms were superior double rooms on the 4th floor and both were spacious and well decorated with none of the maintenance issues reported by others. There is a curious arrangement with key fob attached to the main room key which fits in a holder by the room door. When the fob is in place the electrics in the room work, when removed the supply is switched off. I did not find this too much of an inconvenience. You know where the key is and I presume it saves energy. As others have said this is a Victorian building and some of the corridors could do with revamping and redecoration. There is a leisure complex attached, I did not get to try, in the ground floor and also Amalfi, an Italian restaurant.

We had dinner in the Hotel. I found the restaurant menu choice a little restricted but what I had was very well cooked and the quality and quantity of food was very good. Both our reception by our waitress for seating,the food preparation time and speed of service was impressive. The room service menu looked quite good and extensive with a £3 delivery charge.

Breakfast, the following day was considerably busier and initially a little confusing. Everyone wanted to eat at 9.00 o/c although it is open from 07.30-09.30 Mon- Fri and 08.00-10.00 Sat/Sun. It is self-service buffet with a wide range of options i.e fruit, cheese,porridge(special order) cereals and a cooked english breakfast. What did throw me was that I was not asked whether I wanted tea or coffee or toast. After watching other people, I found these are available in a side alcove with a coffee machine and a rotating band toaster which produced either underdone toast or if you put it back blackened toast. Note to Manager - provide two machines to prevent queues and to offer light and dark toast. Also some instructions on using the coffee machine and toaster would have been useful, preferably on the menu.

Overall my impression was pretty good regarding the staff but that the hotel decoration does require further work. I enjoyed the food. I would have no hesitation in staying here again next time I am in Bournmouth.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Intrepidqw

Thank you for your review Intrepidqw,

Were delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your feedback on the breakfast buffet, we have been extensively reviewing our offering over the last few weeks which has recieved lots of positive feedback, we are currently looking and the coffee machine offering and we hope to move this forward in the coming weeks.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We regular spend a few nights at the wessex. It is a little tired but we always have a warm welcome and good service. It is an excellent position and so nice to find a hotel in bournemouth that welcomes small well behaved dogs. Close to the cliff top with a lovely common and a short walk down to the sea. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eleanor H
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at Wessex Hotel for 16 days recently. The hotel is an old, Victorian seaside hotel which seems to have been last renovated at the height of the 1970's DIY craze. The whole hotel desperately, needs to be revamped to improve the quality for the guests in every way. Although the hotel was usually quiet during the week days, at weekends it is busy. My room was on the second floor and every time I went to or from it I was expecting someone to come out of their room to see what was going on. Honestly, every single floorboard and every single stair creaked like I was in a Hammer House of Horrors movie! The reverse was also true. I was often woken by people walking along the corridors and slamming shut the innumerable fire doors.

Having said all that; the hotel pretty clean and my single room, which was tiny, it was cleaned thoroughly everyday.

Breakfast and dinner were included for my stay and they were both very good. There was a very comprehensive breakfast menu and the dinner menu was supplemented, each day, by a few extra dishes. The food was very enjoyable but I got the impression that chef was capable of far greater things, if only the reins had been taken off. If this hotel gets the refurbishment that it needs, this chef and this overly large restaurant could become an attraction.

The staff are very friendly, attentive and helpful. Especially when I had to ask for a new internet connection password every two days (not sure why they have that policy).

The pool, although very small and circular is warm and there is a tiny gym with a few, mainly broken, pieces of equipment. However, I was very concerned to see a lady unwinding a mains power extension cable from the gym and plugging in her CD player on the poolside. When I informed the staff at the desk and explained the danger involved, she simply shrugged her shoulders and laughed!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Wessex Hotel. It was reasonably good value, clean and there was always something entertaining going on.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony C

St James Hotels acquired the Wessex in March this year and we are currently reviewing every area of the hotel. I can assure you that the floorboards in the corridors are on the list.
In regards to the food offerings, new menus designed by our chef are currently at the printers and we hope to launch these by the end of June.
I understand it can be frustrating having to get a new code for the wi-fi every two days, the majority of our trade is from 1-2 night stays and the system has a limit of 200 users.
The wi-fi in the hotel is now free and a lot faster than the previous btopenzone system that it replaced.
In regards to the leisure club, thank you for highlighting what the water aerobics instructor did with the extension, she knows better than this and she has been informed that if this occurs again, we will cancel her class.
I am also happy to advise that we have some new equipment coming in for the gym at the end of the month to repair the damaged equipment that was in the gym.
Thank you again for using the Wessex and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here on the recent bank holiday weekend, most other hotels had been booked, and the reason why this one was available seemed obvious on arrival.

The outside of the large imposing white building is desperately in need of repair, with paint peeling from the exterior walls.

Luckily we had a room on the second floor - i do feel sorry for anyone staying on the first floor with everyone having to walk past their rooms with the floorboards creaking all the time - hopefully if you stay in one of those rooms you will take earplugs.

Our room seemed very tired, even though we paid for a superior room, the wallpaper was torn, curtains didn't meet in the middle and the noisy car park was just below with coaches having their engines on for an hour before it was required.

I would not stay here again through choice, especially for the process charged

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for your review Eastbourneguy,

As mentioned by my previous reponses, St James Hotels purchased the hotel in March this year, we are aware of the tired decor around the building and have started with an internal refurbishment program with the view of a more extensive program commencing when the company obtains the building freehold.

The hotel is very competitively priced when compared to similar standard hotels in the area, the hotel also includes free use of our leisure facilities, free wi-fi and free car parking, all of which often incur extra charges when staying at other hotels in the area.

We hope you use the Wessex again in the future.