“good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Wellington, United Kingdom
“good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Ok the bedrooms in this hotel are a little tired and need updating but if you want a good value hotel that is a short walk from the beach and town then you could do a lot worse than the Wessex. The bedrooms are clean and spacious and the staff are friendly and helpful. The pool is lovely and warm and the indoor pool is one depth (4 feet) all over which means you don't get out of your depth if you are not a confident swimmer like me. Breakfast was hot and plentiful in pleasant surroundings and for evening meals there were deals in the main restaurant that made it affordable which makes a change from a lot of hotels. On the lower ground floor next to the pool area is an Italian restaurant which serves good food at reasonable prices. Only downside was the hard uncomfortable pillows! They really need to invest in some new softer pillows! Other than that I can't fault it and would definitely stay here again (but would bring my own pillow!)

1 Thank panperry
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thankyou for your review Panperry,

Im delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed the breakfast and food offerings and our leisure club.

We are currently in the process of carrying out an internal refurbishment program which I can gladly advise that this includes purchasing new pillows.

We hope to welcome you back to the wessex in the future.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

The receptionist called sarah very bad attitude to me and a warm welcome and a smile wouldn't go amiss. we had a drab and dirty room why is this because we had a little dog.we paid good money to stay in your so called hotel,the breakfast was rotten, the bacon was as tough as old boots.we won't be back and anyone reading this won't ether.

Room Tip: there isn't one
3 Thank 971lucy
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thankyou for your review 971Lucy,

I find it quite sad that you have created an account on trip advisor just to pick fault at a member of our staff, I can only assume that if you used the attitude that you have used in your review with this member of staff that they have responded in suit, not that I condone such actions and I will have a quiet word in her ear.

Your review also states that the hotel is old and dirty and the breakfast is poor, now the decor of the rooms is in fact dated and its something we are addressing but if you read the other reviews on the hotel, they all state that although the building is dated, its clean, the staff are friendly and the breakfast is of a high quality, basically they all state the complete opposite of what you have said.

You end your review saying that you wont be back and after others have read your review, they wont either, Im sure that having read your review, most will pay more attention to more constructive reviews which have been left for the hotel.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We had a great stay here, the stay was a gift for us from our daughter for Christmas, yes the Wessex needs a refurb, the squeaky floorboards did need attention but if the hotel is waiting for the freehold lease to come through then trying to do anything about this would be a waste of time and money, so I can completely understand why this has not been a priority, apart from being in need of updating there isn't anything else wrong with this hotel. It's within 10/15 mins walk from the seafront and shops, with one of the best crazy golf we have played.
The staff were all very pleasant, polite and friendly, the food was absolutely fine, breakfast was as good as any hotel we have stayed in. It was also very clean, the beds were comfortable.
My only criticism was the temperature of our room, we were very fortunate to have extremely good weather and as a woman 'of a certain age' I really struggled with how hot our room was, we were advised by signs in the room to keep windows locked but this was not possible with it being so hot, so we took our chances and left the window open night and day as we didn't have anything with real value with us, had our stay been for longer than the two nights we would have asked to be moved, our room was 157 on the first floor, we felt comfortable leaving the window open as the room looked over a small enclosed area therefore making it hard for anyone trying to access this space. I was impressed that there was use of an ironing room, we have never had this available to us before!
I would just like to add that I feel customers should have some sort of notification on arrival as to a certain member of staff regarding the fact that he was clearly Autistic and anyone that has not had experience of this before may well have taken offense at the very direct manner in which he dealt with people, I have an Autistic Nephew myself so was able to pickup on this immediately where others may have just thought him abrupt, personally I was impressed that the Wessex had given this member of staff a chance of employment which involves working with the public, the member of staff with him was very good at the way he dealt with him. There should be more employers prepared to take on staff like this!
We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, thank you for a thoroughly lovely weekend.

Room Tip: Room 157 was south facing and very warm, avoid if you don't like to be too warm.
1 Thank tinawest5
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thankyou for your review Tinawest5,

Im delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, we have been fortunate to have some very hot weather over the last couple of weeks, its great to be able to enjoy this weather down the beach but not so good when you try and sleep at night. We have ordered some more fans in case guests need them, which I appreciate wont cool the rooms down but will help circulate the air and make it easier to sleep.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the wessex in the future.

Swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Arrived early so we could make the most of our 2 night stay that my daughter and partner had purchased for us for xmas.
Check in was handled friendly and quick by the recepionest . Our room was;nt ready which was not a problem so left the car in the large car park and walked the 5 mins to the beach. Came back at 2pm and was pleasantly surprised when we went to our room . For a standard double it was big with a separate large bathroom with over bath shower. Bed very comfortable.Rooms and hotel very clean.
We used the pool which was warm .They also provide towels.
Breakfast very good choice of cooked breakfast ,cereals ,fruit and youghts. Free Wifi
Very good location plenty of choices to eat.
Overall I would stay here again.
People need to realise this is a 3 star not a 5 star and stop being so picky.

Room Tip: We were in room 273 on 2nd floor at back .No noise
1 Thank Brenda L
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Sidcup, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went and used a voucher from our son and his wife and added an extra day. Outdoor and indoor pool facility and the reception and bar area are clean & comfortable nice bar with food available. the breakfast was ok but the bedrooms really need a complete overhaul and the bathroom was awful.. Water hot all clean but the shower was just a clip on version that as soon as water turned on it swivelled and sprayed the room.

Room Tip: Check out the bathroom 1st
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

As I have stated on several other reponses, St James Hotels aquired the hotel in March of this year, we are aware that the rooms are tired and we are currently carrying out an internal refurbishment program and have to date refurbished 5 bedrooms.

We believe that the hotel pricing is in line with other hotels of similar standard within the town and we also include free car parking, wi-fi and use of the hotels leisure facilities within our rates.

Knaresborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I know the Wessex gets some negative feedback but personally until now I have always enjoyed my stays there; the staff have been pleasant, the food is OK and I like the faded Victorian splendour. Having spent over £2,000 in the Wessex over the last year imagine my surprise when they would not accept a room cancellation and insisted on charging me. I gave them the opportunity to refund me and pointed out the terms and conditions sent to me after my pre-payment included cancellation. I will not be staying at the Wessex again and contemplating court action to get my money back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul G

Unfortunately you booked an Advance saver rate which is several pounds cheaper than our standard rate but is non refundable, amendable and transferable. This was clearly stated on the website that you booked on. You had the option of booking the slightly more expensive rate which was £4.50 more on the night in question and can be cancelled without charge up until noon on the day but opted not to.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having read some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive about what I would find. My experience was different from some of the reviews.

The Hotel is in a good central location with a busy, but not too noisy road outside. I am a Londoner and used to traffic noise and to me it was not intrusive but you need to make your own judgement on this. One appealing feature is the very large car park. Yes, the outside of the hotel does require repainting but it is not that noticeable unless you look closely. The staff were very good indeed on several occasions about offering to help my 88 year old Mum use a main entrance stair lift to climb the 10 steps to the 1st floor Reception and public areas.

My booking in was handled efficently and in a friendly way by the receptionist. The public areas and bar are comfortable and there is plenty of seating. There are two lifts, a small 2 person lift by the 1st floor reception going as far the 3rd Floor and a second lift going to the 4th floor which takes 8 people and needs better signing. Our two rooms were superior double rooms on the 4th floor and both were spacious and well decorated with none of the maintenance issues reported by others. There is a curious arrangement with key fob attached to the main room key which fits in a holder by the room door. When the fob is in place the electrics in the room work, when removed the supply is switched off. I did not find this too much of an inconvenience. You know where the key is and I presume it saves energy. As others have said this is a Victorian building and some of the corridors could do with revamping and redecoration. There is a leisure complex attached, I did not get to try, in the ground floor and also Amalfi, an Italian restaurant.

We had dinner in the Hotel. I found the restaurant menu choice a little restricted but what I had was very well cooked and the quality and quantity of food was very good. Both our reception by our waitress for seating,the food preparation time and speed of service was impressive. The room service menu looked quite good and extensive with a £3 delivery charge.

Breakfast, the following day was considerably busier and initially a little confusing. Everyone wanted to eat at 9.00 o/c although it is open from 07.30-09.30 Mon- Fri and 08.00-10.00 Sat/Sun. It is self-service buffet with a wide range of options i.e fruit, cheese,porridge(special order) cereals and a cooked english breakfast. What did throw me was that I was not asked whether I wanted tea or coffee or toast. After watching other people, I found these are available in a side alcove with a coffee machine and a rotating band toaster which produced either underdone toast or if you put it back blackened toast. Note to Manager - provide two machines to prevent queues and to offer light and dark toast. Also some instructions on using the coffee machine and toaster would have been useful, preferably on the menu.

Overall my impression was pretty good regarding the staff but that the hotel decoration does require further work. I enjoyed the food. I would have no hesitation in staying here again next time I am in Bournmouth.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Intrepidqw
Thank you for your review Intrepidqw,

Were delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your feedback on the breakfast buffet, we have been extensively reviewing our offering over the last few weeks which has recieved lots of positive feedback, we are currently looking and the coffee machine offering and we hope to move this forward in the coming weeks.