“old,dated and unclean”

Ranked #41 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
“old,dated and unclean”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My company had booked this hotel.As I pulled in the car park I saw the paint peeling off the exterior walls and though "Oh God!".I checked in,my room was on the top floor.The lift is a very old dated lift which only holds 2 people...1 if you have luggage! If you dont like closed spaces you will not like this lift.My room was a small single bed up against the wall.2 stains on the duvet.The bedside radio was out of the ark.My stay was only for one night so I had to brave it.As I didnt want to be in the hotel for long I went for a walk.There are better hotels nearby! book one of them...not this!!My company has not removed this hotel from our list to use and we will not use again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for your review MandyTurner7,

I am sorry that we were not to your liking, I couldnt agree with you more on the external appearance and im glad to report that we currently have scaffolding up and painters re-painting the external of the building. I would have to disagree with your cleanliness rating, people often mistake dated and worn for dirty, our housekeeper works extremely hard to ensure or rooms are clean and we do get alot of feedback both at the hotel and on Tripadvisor that the rooms are clean.

There are many hotels in the area and alot are more modern than the Wessex, however this also comes with a price. Often the reason people choose the Wessex is because we are cheaper and include extras such as car parking, wi-fi and leisure club use.

I hope you would consider using the Wessex again after we have completed some of our refurbishment works.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed ... Luckily only stayed for one night !!
Went to check in and standing behind a couple who had just checked in .. To be told we couldn't check in till 3pm !! That was strange as the couple had just checked in !! On showing her my booking which clearly stated 2pm and not 3pm she handed over my key !!
The room was boiling hot .. Really needed a fan !!
We had just been for a swim in the sea and were lying on the bed in our swim wear .. When the door swings open and a man is standing there with towels !!!! Luckily myself and my daughter weren't
naked !! I can't quite understand why towels were not put in the rooms when they were cleaned !!! This hotel has a lot to offer but we were left very disappointed !! Bar staff were also very jolly with the "hen party" but a little more abrupt with the other clients !!

• Stayed August 2014

Im sorry that the hotel wasnt to your liking, you are indeed correct, our check in time is 2pm and I can only apologise for any confusion.
Regarding your towels, we sadly have limited stock and are currently laundering these in house each day and returning them to the rooms, we do try to get them in all of the rooms by 2pm but are not always successful. Im happy to report that we are changing linen suppliers in September which will remove this issue.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Lovely sized rooms but very hot as the windows only open a couple of inches which is not good on a hot summer night. Would have liked tea and coffee served at our table at breakfast. There was a long queue for drinks and one form of coffee ran out which held things up further. The eggs were undercooked and very unappealing. The hotel is popular with hen and stag parties and several of us commented that our bedding smelt very unpleasant.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for your review Diamond2607,

Our bedroom windows do have safety locks fitted on all rooms above the ground floor, these can be removed on request. As much as air conditioning would be nice when we have the mediteranean weather like we have had over the last couple of weeks, it is rather expensive and a luxury to have when considering that we only have 6-8 weeks a year of hot weather. There are very few hotels in Bournemouth that has air conditioning and the one I am aware of charge more than double the rates that we do.
Thank you for your comments regarding the tea and coffee offering at breakfast, the company are currently reviewing this and we hope to have a decision in the near future.

Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night on August 4th. We were allocated a spacious but 70s style decor room482 but it was nevertheless quiet at night. As the sash windows only open 2 inches and there's no air on it was very hot! Large bathroom with separate shower and bath in. Creaky floorboards everywhere. No atmosphere in lounge or bar area. We went to see the swimming pools area and saw a notice on the door stating the outdoor pool would be closed on 5th as scaffolding was being erected. Not sure who's brilliant idea that was? Surely that should have been done pre season not in the middle of it! Breakfast, sadly, is totally self catering. You're not even offered tea or coffee from a jug and have to queue up at one machine-quite interesting when the hotel is as busy as it was! I spent my time getting up to go to the food area instead of having a leisurely breakfast. Hotel is in a great location and has free parking but overall it needs a massive refurbishment

Room Tip: High level then you don't get so much of the creaking floorboards!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank harrySheet
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for your review Harrysheet,

St James hotels acquired the hotel in March this year and we have begun an internal refurbishment program to modernise our rooms. We sadly do not have rooms with air conditioning, I only know of one hotel in Bournemouth that does and they charge twice the rates that we do so it comes at a premium,
With regards to the scaffolding, it would have been better to have this errected out of season the section of the building that is scaffolded requires urgent works in dry weather and therefore it had to be errected now. It will be up for a maximum of two weeks and we are taking the opportunity to re-paint the external of the building whilst it is up which would greatly improve the first impression of the building, something that many have commented on in the past.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have never visited this hotel before, so when I booked it I was impressed with the website. Boy did I get a shock. I checked in for a 3 night break with a family member and I regretted it. We arrived at reception and it was like something out of faulty towers. The receptionist was non nonchalant towards me - a quick form , signature and plonked the keys on the desk. She didn't even show the way or anything, the lifts were like something from out of the ark which I didn't attempt to go in. As we ventured to the room, the floors were creaking, paint was coming off the wall, the smell was awfully musky , I couldn't believe it I wanted to leave there and then.Finally we entered the room and it was horrendous, Firstly no air condition-they had old fashioned windows to open, old fashioned furniture, there was a constant dripping sound from the ceiling,I immediately complained but she was not having none of it saying it was fully booked. The bathroom was filthy like it had not been cleaned for days. Breakfast was extremely limited- 3 fruits to choose from. We checked out the swimming pool, don't get me started , it was so old,paint was peeling off the walls, it was horrible.I could not wait to leave,I actually said where are the comments cards- don't have any write an email she said. On the last day I dropped the keys in the cabby hole and the receptionist didn't blink an eye lash. I had stayed in Bournemouth last year, but this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and would not recommend it to anyone. The staff are rude and have no customer care exp. The whole hotel needs to be pulled down from scratch its a mess -, a total joke I could not wait to leave.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the less sound you will hear when sleeping.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cherie D

Im sorry that you felt the need to create a review on tripadvisor to highlight your dissatisfaction. The building is tired, we are aware of this and have begun refurbishment works to correct this. Im afraid we do not offer air conditioned rooms, I am aware of one hotel in Bournemouth that does and they charge twice our rates.
We do only have 3 fruit choices on our breakfast menu but you failed to mention that the rest of the breakfast offering is extensive.
If a guest is unsatisfied with their room and we are fully booked, we endeavour to assist them in finding an alternative hotel, the prices of more modern hotels in the town often surprise some people, I know we are very reasonably priced in the area for what we offer, the building is tired but the hotel is clean, we offer free parking, free wi-fi and free use of our leisure facilities.

Im sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Last time we travelled to Bournemouth we stayed at the Travelodge and thought we would have a change so we looked at this "hotel" it looked nice and a pleasant place to stay how wrong we were! When we checked in the information was at a minimum! It was poorly sign posted to the room were wondering around for about half an hour finally shown to the room we entered the bedroom it was like a green house so hot!

We opened the curtains to open the window more and to our horror there was a yellow stain more than one all up the curtain I couldn't believe what I was seeing they were big patches! Stains on the floor & generally a very dirty room not only was the wallpaper torn off the walls cracks in ever corner of the bedroom. As I expected high standards and was hugely disappointed and when I went to reception and complained and explained the bedroom was absolutely diabolical there was very little the so called "duty manager" could do all he said was I should be the one to call late rooms for a refund and not only that he said they get these complaints all the time!! To my shock I replied then why have they not improved there standards to stop this!

After leaving reception with no help I honestly felt disgusted and ripped off!! My bed was hard i had a restless sleep and not only that housekeeping walked into our room at 9.30am in the morning even though we requested at 1pm checkout!!

Not happy at all and the attitude of the staff did not put my mind at ease or help me one bit to even attempt to enjoy my stay! The whole place needs a major reconstruction on the building and décor and the staff need to be trained to start treating guests with some respect and understanding it is not right a guest should have to put up with it or put out and not offer any help!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Estelle B

Im sorry that we were not to your liking, we are aware that the hotel is tired and we have commenced an internal refurbishment scheme to begin correcting this, St James Hotels acquired the hotel in March of this year and we have begun refurbishing rooms, to date we have done 9, we have also replaced all the pillows, put in new mattress protectors, new shower curtains, new bins and are in the process of replacing all of the duvets. We are replacing al of the hotel linen in September also. This only scratches the surface of what we have to do but we hope to acquire the building freehold by the end of the year and this will enable us to accelerate this program further.

I must say however that I felt your comparison with the Travel lodge was alittle unfair, on average their room rates, particularly in the summer are higher than ours and they also charge extra for car parking, wi-fi access and breakfast.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I recently spent 2 nights at the Wessex Hotel on a gift voucher from my son and his wife.
The hotel is situated in an excellent position, approximately 2 minutes walk to the promenade then 5 minutes along the seafront to Bournemouth pier and to the shops.

Although the hotel is somewhat dated we found our room (181) to be very large indeed with a large double bed, table and chairs, flat screen tv, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities which were replenished daily. The bathroom was a good size with a separate beth and shower.
All areas in the room were kept spotlessly clean.

We didn`t make use of their restaurant facilities, with a breakfast costing almost £14 each which we thought was a bit pricey. However, about 2 minutes walk away towards the town there are some very nice eateries which we used for breakfast and evening dinner.
A few coaches from Germany arrived with visitors so the hotel is obviously used on a touring holiday by foreigners.
Areas could do with updating - floorboards along corridors creak a lot - pity those in rooms nearby!

In saying that we would go back to the Wessex for a repeat visit should we decide to visit Bournemouth again although we do not know what room costs would be..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roger P

Im delighted you enjoyed your stay, the hotel was acquired in March by St James hotels and we have begun an internal refurbishment program to improve the decor of the bedrooms.
In regards to breakfast, the £13.95 stated on the breakfast menu is on the basis of you having tea, coffee, toast, continental and a cooked breakfast. If you wish to have less than this, just a coffee and a cooked breakfast for example, you can be charged just for these. We are in the process of re-designing our food offerings, the bar and lounge menu and the restaurant menu have been completed however the new breakfast menu has yet to go to print.

We hope to welcome you back to the wessex in the future.