“Don't believe the hype ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wessex Hotel

Wessex Hotel
Ranked #41 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“Don't believe the hype ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We are just about to check out, and to think we nearly never came because my wife read the negative reviews on here and wanted to give it a miss but I talked her round saying take all reviews on here with a pinch of salt and take a balanced view. So glad she did because we have had a fab weekend ( and timed it well coz it's bucketing down today (bank hol Monday) but we are only travelling home. The hotel is what it says it is, 3* our room was basic but spotlessly clean as was the rest of the hotel and yes it's in need of a revamp in the stairways etc but I was pleasantly surprised by the public areas as the reception and bar area were very nice. Staff were very helpful and check in was very quick. I booked this hotel as it's pet friendly as we like to take our dog away with us and for £135 for us & £15 for Bonnie. That is a bargain for bank hol weekend in Bournemouth close to the sea (5 min walk if turn past the Hop in pub and take the cable car down). We visited Sandbanks (which is beautiful) swanage & corfe castle all quite close and we visited Stonehenge on the journey down from Wales on Saturday. Would I stay again? If bringing the dog yes but if just 2 of us would stay in something a little grander but if you are looking for just a base like we were then you can't go wrong staying here

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your review Dalehbwlboy,

Im delighted that you opted to stay regardless of negative reviews on here and enjoyed your stay with us.

To put things in alitlle perspective, since St James Hotels took over the hotel in March this year, we have sold 14,300 rooms and had 25,894 guests stay over in the hotel, this does not include people who have used the hotel for conferences, leisure club and meals etc. Out of 25,894 sleepers, we have so far received 61 reviews on here, 20 of which left 1 or 2 star reviews.

We hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just spent 3 nights at the Wessex Hotel and I felt it needed a decent evaluation. Yes, we all know the rooms are a little dated and the hotel needs a revamp, but I feel a few people have been a little unfair. What you need from a hotel is a decent sized room, a comfortable bed, a decent, clean bathroom, reasonable quality of food and friendly staff and for this, the Wessex ticks all the boxes. The rooms do seem a little tired, but in no way did this diminish the enjoyment of our stay and with the 2 pools available too, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2014
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your review TheFosterFamily555,

Im delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came and stayed for 2 nights in a double room. Having read all the negative reviews we went in expecting the worst, and it was great! The receptionists were all lovely, the room was a bit dated but very clean, the room wasn't hot, the breakfast was great and the use of facilities was brilliant.
The only thing that was a minor pain was at the beginning our key didn't fit in the door properly as we couldn't open it, however a very nice man came and sorted it out for us. Not something to complain about!
Will definitely come back in the future. Just a 5 minute walk to the beach and the town in walking distance :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Demimarks-reilly
Thank you for your review Demimarks-Reilly,

Im delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night with my son we had a delux suite which was lovely we had a comfy nights rest . We had breakfast which was ok but the restaurant could do with a good face lift .The hotel wasn't far from the beach which was nice for my little boy and the shops were in walking distance . Over all we had a very pleasant stay but the hotel could do with a good overhaul .

• Stayed August 2014
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014

Im delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We are aware that the restaurant needs some modernisation and we hope to be able to give up date on this in the near future.

I hope to welcome you back to the Wessex again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed in the hotel with my wife and two children. The hotel needs a complete renovation, the room given to us was very unwelcome and it was not the family room as requested on the telephone, all family rooms are on 2nd floor, we stayed on a makeshift family on the first floor. The toiletries have been used especially the shower gel, shampoo and others were half bottle. We were given a sofa bed that was torn and they used a white cloth to cover it. We requested for a fan for a family and was given a small table fan. The carpet was stained and worn out, the tiles in the bathroom weren't properly set and needs poly filler. The breakfast was below standard for three star hotel. Just basic.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

I am sorry you did not find the hotel to your liking. In regards to the family room you mentioned, we do not have a specialised family room, we have rooms suitable for families that we can put extra beds or a sofa bed into, I am sorry if you misunderstood this when booking.
In regards to the toiletries, I believe you are referring to the large shampoo and soap bottles we have in our rooms, these are refillable bottles which are cleaned down and topped up after each departure.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed 1 night, only because on seeing the room had limited time to relocate and no where to be found in time. Room a disgrace even the manager who was called to room agreed. Walls, carpets, headboard and chairs all stained. Both tub style chairs had damaged/missing legs and should have been in the skip. Reduced price given but female on reception was somewhat curt. Look behind the entrance/reception you will be amazed and dismayed all in one. Have read reports the hotel is under new ownership and undergoing refurb, do yourself a favour and don't let out room 276 or others like it until refurbed, people may not wish to return, we won't. Disappointing really as previous stay would have received a better review hence the return. Shame for the staff who deserve there jobs (some don't)

Room Tip: Try another hotel
Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MDBO55

I am sorry that the hotel was not to your liking. We have begun an internal refurbishment program in the hotel and we have hightlighted this room as high priority.

kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Returned Saturday from 2 nights stay. We were lucky to be in one of the far rooms where there were just 2 off us, on ground floor. We was opp a flight of stairs but was pretty quiet. At first we was worried as we had a adjoining room, thought we were in for some noisy nights but complete opposite. We was lucky that we had another door after entry door, so was able to close off main door and adjoining door away.

Points to review
Yes floors creaky, didn't bother us. Yes hotel seems outdated, but our room was not shabby, we saw no thread bare carpets or stained curtains. We had a lovely room, although I can imagine gets hot with high temps of summer.

Our decor was fine, no mould, no stained curtains, no ripped paper. Our room very big and clean. Although did have odd smell when we first walked in, but didn't bother us too much.

Bed was ok, creaked, but mattress comfy. Pillows were awful, definitely need to invest in some new pillows, the ones provided were thin, hard and bumpy, and I agree could do with some nice smelling softener as did have slightly odd smell.

Our room had separate bathroom with shower for own use, blacked out curtains in our main room (which was great).complimentary tea and coffee, bathroom equipped with towels, liquid soap, hand cream and shower gel, all in nice big bottles, and smelt good too. Main room had hair dryer, trouser press and flat screen tv.

Like another reviewer wrote, we had been on a long journey to get there, was both tired, so laying down dozing off when room service suddenly walked in, so glad we was not naked.

Free parking on site, free wifi for one device.

Didn't use leisure ctre, as spent time on the beach, what a lovely beach. Walking within 10-20 mins depending on speed and ability.

Town also walking ing distant too with main high street shops, 2 cinemas and plenty of eating places.

Fri nights good to be in Bournemouth in the summer hols, they have family festivals, with bands, entertainment plus fireworks off the pier all free.

Getting back to the hotel, breakfast, okish. First morning, fry-up was cold, black pudding like rubber. Second morning was much better, I'm guessing was more busier so needed replenishing more frequent. I personally liked fetching my own tea, it meant I didn't have to wait for it, and you only have to go up once for tea as you fill a teapot. I personally prefer that than having to sit around and wait for it to be brought to me.

Now I may sound picky but I do in my opinion believe in a hotel, table cloths should be ironed, these clearly weren't, they were so screwed up, but this is only minor and would not stop me booking again, just something I picked up on.

Over all, we had a pleasant experience, checking in was smooth and lady was polite.

Would I return? If I could be given the quieter side again, and price right, I certainly would, in fact I have recommended it to a family member who is now considering Bournemouth.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for yur review Familyfromkent75,

Im delighted that you enjoyed your stay, on the few negatives you highlighted, we have replaced the majority of the pillows in the building, we hope to complete the final stage of this in September. We are changing suppliers of our linen early in September.

I do hope to welcome you back to the wessex in the future.