“Wedding at The Carlton”

Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Wedding at The Carlton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Me and my husband had our wedding reception at the Carlton, it truely was the best day of our lives and the Carlton hotel staff were so polite, friendly and helpful throughout! Emily was our wedding co-ordinator and was extremely helpful from the first day of planning, nothing was too much for her!

The meal was served to all 80 of us at the same time, all hot, and by amazing staff who i couldn't thank enough! The food was delicious and every dish was presented well as well as extremely flavoursome!

Every detail i had planned with the hotel they arranged perfectly! We had lots of our guests and ourselves stayed at the hotel, and everyone loved it and all the rooms were clean and breakfast was lovely.

We had amazing pictures taken in the beautiful gardens! All in all it was a perfect day and Emily, The Carlton hotel and all the staff were amazing and i can't thank them enough for ensuring our wedding went smoothly and beautifully!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Tessa V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Polish first
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have just visited this hotel I must say from the moment I arrived the staff could not have been better. Room 315 great sea views large bed and supper sized bathroom with a deceant size bath and seperate walk in shower .There was also a small fridge in the room so if a family were staying lots of space to take in cold drinks for the children at night. Spa was amazing, and they were pre paring the outdoor pool and gardens for the summer months . I must say if I was looking to stay for a holliday this is were i would come .No negative coments from me.
Well done to all the staff.

Room Tip: Room 315 great see views espically if you come for The Air show
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank amdocker
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

beautiful rooms, very big and comfortable and CLEAN. slept very well, Spa was amazing and the pool was so warm it was like swimming in a bath. will definatly reccomend to friends and family and visit again. breakfast very good, and the tea and toast just kept coming. no compains at all.

Room Tip: any, but sea views if avalible. all very large
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jodieb89
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

After booking at the Carlton online I decided to check reviews for the hotel(wrong way to do I know, but I did).
Anyway I was very surprised as the reviews seemed negative,so I was concerned about what might find on my arrival .i have to say I was very pleased, it was clean with good decor,the food in the evening was very good as we're the staff and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Dave434343
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Pls just look at the pics. and you understud why i give so negative feedbacks for accomodation. We pay 155£ for one night and that what we see was horrible. Room service is open just till 10pm. After that time you can just get old baguette for 18 £. Im relly dissapointed.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank AGA16616

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Derby, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

After seeing some of the reviews and photos on here I was unsure what to expect but The Carlton was a very pleasant surprise. It's a charming old hotel bursting with character, the deco bar is gorgeous, I felt like I'd stepped onto the set of Poirot! I'd agree with other reviewers that staff are very pleasant but reception needs attention, we were waiting a good few minutes before anyone appeared to check us in, no queue just nobody manning the desk.

Our room 111 was fantastic, I couldn't have asked for better. The room and bathroom were a good size with flat screen TV, the usual tea/coffee tray and bathroom toiletries, they also supplied bottled water, robes and a bowl filled with mini sticks of rock, a really cute sea side touch. Decor was very traditional but comfortable and in keeping with the hotel. If I wanted to be really picky (it seems some on here are!) then the radiator was in desperate need of a lick of paint but hidden behind the table, it wasn't a major issue. The BIG winner with this room is the view and the terrace, not only does the room offer a sea view, it also opens onto a huge terrace/balcony with stunning panoramic views. This terrace is ony shared by room 110, 111 and (what looked to be a suite) 112 - these are without doubt the rooms to request at The Carlton.

The outdoor pool was undergoing major renovation but being March you couldn't have used it anyway. The indoor pool was pleasant enough but very small, it's not big enough to do laps, you just have to swim round and round in circles. That said the water was warm, it was clean and in summer probably gets very little use. The outdoor pool was set in a sunken garden area so sheltered from the breeze and I imagine, a real sun trap on a summer's day.

Breakfast was good and again very polite and friendly staff. There's a continental buffet of cereal, yogurt, fruit, pastries, rolls and juice as well as cooked breakfast to order. We chose the poached haddock and a vegetarian breakfast with perfect poached eggs. If you're not a big eater I'd ask if they can do a smaller breakfast, neither of us finished ours, it was huge. The Orangery where breakfast was served, was another charming old room though I understand they have a larger restaurant which was closed for refurbishment.

I would highly recommend The Menzies Carlton and can't wait to go back myself!

Room Tip: 110, 111 and 112 have access to a huge terrace with fantastic sea views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

This hotel is an enchanting example of old-world charm. It is an elegant 4 star hotel that holds on to old traditions. It may not be funky and may stand on a bit of ceremony, but that is what makes it stand out.
Every single person we met who worked in the hotel made us feel very welcome. They were friendly and very professional . The restaurant is a real treat. A grand hall replete with starched table cloths, real candelabra, uber professional staff who made us feel very special. Top marks in particular to the waiter Serge whose sense of humour and dynamism made him stand out.
The food itself at dinner was good quality, but not quite haute cuisine. The breakfast was excellent quality (particularly the smoked haddock) but the selection of cold foods was slightly small (for example no cheese at all).
The room had recently been renovated to a very high standard. The bed was incredibly comfortable. So much so that I made a note of the make and model of the mattress and intend to buy one for our own home.
The location is fantastic. Less than 10 mins walk to central Bournemouth.
There was plenty of free car parking (but we were there in Feb. Perhaps it is different in August!).
I would certainly go to this hotel again.
My only real criticism is that the reception was rarely manned. The receptionists, all of whom were lovely, always hid away in the back office. It would have been good to see their smiling faces greeting us as we left and returned to the hotel. The empty reception desk made the lobby feel a bit bleak and much less welcoming than it could have been. Surely the receptionists could do whatever they needed to do in the office in the reception area itself.....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple