“Restaurant”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth Carlton
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 25 February 2013

In a package over the weekend in February.

We were put down on a table for 2 where they serve the food. Not the best position. Looking above at the old chandeliers (when it WAS 5 star........now sadly NOT) there were 10 bulbs in the light. Six of them had gone so it was a bit gloomy!

I ordered the wine, a bottle of Chablis. The Wine Waiter asked ME for the bin number. Not a good start!

I had Dover Sole. Lovely. It came with chips..........great you think...........I had 6 chips. Yes 6!

The main waiter did not smile once. It was all a bit tired and sad really.

Wouldn't go back. Faded elegance!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,264)

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Just returned from a one night ( sadly only one night) stay at the Menzies Carlton. What a lovely break! Every single one of the staff we encountered went out of their way to ensure we were well looked after - from the upgrade to a suite when we arrived ( because the lovely lady on Reception thought that as we were a family we would enjoy it) to our charming smiley waiter at dinner, the spa staff, housekeeping ...everyone was so friendly and helpful. The room was wonderful; spotless, spacious and well equipped (and when we asked for extra cups they were delivered in less than five minutes). We enjoyed the spa and dinner was a real treat - lots of little details that made it feel special and indulgent. Perfect weather helped ( even in February) as it made an early morning stroll on the beach very enticing. Then back for a really good breakfast, plenty of everything and all well cooked and presented. In summary, a great location, excelllent value for money and outstanding service made this a birthday treat to remember. Thank you. PS rated children's activities average only as we didn't use them so can't judge.

Room Tip: Room 217 was fantastic! A bright spacious suite with a good balcony and great view...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Hotel decor amazing. staff superb but when one goes for lunh one expects a good standard after all it isn,t cheap.but very dissapointed starter was fine , dessert was excellent but very small but the main was very poor .Pork was not only tasteless but luke warm as was the vegetables. With numerous other hotels in Bournemouth serving sunday lunches I think that they should up their game The Carlton will not be on our Sunday lunch list,

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shirleymt
Reviewed 3 February 2013

4 of us went for afternoon tea for 85th birthday. £50 for a few pieces of sandwiches. Dried overdone scone each and a piece of some sort of cheesecake. No cakes as you would expect for tea. Had to go and ask for plates as none was given, this seemed to be a surprise that we needed them, then had to ask for forks to eat the 'cheesecake' . The only plus the coffee was ok. To summarise, disappointed, did not feel it was value for money. Will not repeat.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank BigAlby
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Room ok, next to beach, staffs friendly, can have breakfast with the view of sea from window. will come again if with business. Not sure about the rate tho. 10min walk from town centre. 3 courses dinner is fine.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We spent New Year 2012/13 at the Menzies Carlton having selected it because it offered some extra activities.

Having previously advised the hotel that i required a gluten free diet, both at the time of booking and the day before arriving I was annoyed that having driven for about 5 hours to get there on arriving I ordered a sandwich in the bar and was told they did not have gluten free bread! Having suggested they go and get some it was found. The supply and availability of the gluten free bread became a bit of a saga throughout the stay but it actually became a bit of a game.

The hotel is in an excellent position, the rooms were absolutely spotless and kept so by a very hard working staff.

If you want an excellent massage at a very reasonable cost go and see Amy in the Spa. Superb service and a lovely person. The hot tub was fine but the swimming pool having recently been refilled was a bit too cold for me, but over younger souls seemed to be enjoying it.

I would imagine that no matter what language you spoke somebody at the hotel would speak it and if the hotel had a problem this was it. Everybody was charming and fell over themselves to be helpful but in some cases their enthusiasm wasn't quite matched by their understanding of English expressions. Us foreigners from East Anglia talk funny!

So you had one member of staff telling a quest something and another member of staff telling another guest something completely different, even if it was the same question. But I consider this a fault of the management not briefing staff properly. Nothing major, but once again it became humorous.

The food in the restaurant was very good overall but i have to agree with other reviews that breakfast was not good enough for a hotel of this standard. You never knew what was going to be available, it wasn't a question I believe of giving different options each day, rather the ordering was not up to scratch.

Hot food should be hot, not tepid and as I pointed out to I assume the restaurant manager if i can handle the food at the bottom of the bain-marie (I had put it on my plate first) then the unit was not up to temperature. They are electric ones so they hadn't run out of chaffing fuel, but something was wrong. One day their was fresh fruit, the next day there wasn't.

In fairness they did offer to cook fresh for us from the kitchen but that shouldn't be necessary.

The entertainments, bingo, casino night, quiz, race night etc. were all well run with some excellent prizes but unfortunately poorly attended. That was not the hotels fault. When three people won the prize of a free night at the hotel in the bingo there was not a draw for a winner, no they got two more vouchers so each got the prize. It is gestures like that that impress me.

The bottom line is that we liked it enough to immediately book and pay for a weeks stay in May before we left and to put our names down to go back next New Year.

If you want to have a nice stay at a hotel that still has individual character, where staff really seem pleased that you are there, where everything is kept clean and tidy, then I thoroughly recommend this hotel. But go with a sense of humour!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view with balcony - bit cold in winter but we think in May it will be lovely
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlutenFreeLowestoft
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I reviewed this hotel in 2009 and was not complimentary about the room,the bar area or the breakfast. I have recently returned and I must say I was very impressed with what I found. My room was very comfortable,well appointed and up to date. The bar was buzzing the night I was there and the buffet breakfast excellent. Staff were courteous and helpful and the hotel a delight!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple