“2 night stay”

Ranked #35 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Orpington
“2 night stay”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We arrived at Carlton hotel in Bournemouth on 15th July for a 2 night stay. We booked a Superior Double with Sea View paying 388 pounds. The room was pleasant but the sea view was disappointing as we were at the side of the hotel that overlooked the car park and a block of flats. I expressed my disappointment with the receptionist and she was so nice and asked if I would like to speak to the duty manager Mark Cottle, I agreed. I explained to him that I did expect to be facing the sea with a sea view. He said very rudely what I expected him to do about it as the hotel was full. He went on to say that if I wanted a room at the front of the hotel I would be expected to pay at least 400-500 pounds as all of the rooms at the front where suites. I know this was not true as I have read reviews and there are superior rooms at the front. I felt as a manager he had no people skills whatsoever and could had been polite. His attitude made us feel unwelcome and did put a sour note to the start of our holiday. Throughout our stay he went around the hotel with his nose in the air and never even said hello.

I must express other staff could not be more helpful. The Manager of the Restaurant was so attentive and also the pool boy who would always ask if we needed anything.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I feel that a lot of reviews don't reflect that this is a aging, historic building with lots of character. When you choose that sort of place to stay, it is inevitable that you will find the odd cracks, with work here and there needing to be done. I found the room spacious, well equipped and quiet. The hotel does not have air conditioning, but being on top of a cliff, there tends to be plenty of wind. The food at the restaurant was decent, though unspectacular. The staff are efficient, but some way off friendly. My biggest shock came with after dinner coffees where I was charged £7 for a double espresso (which incidentally is significantly more than at he Savoy grill). In case you were wondering, it wasn't even very good (robusta beans with no crema).

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike A
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I wonder where this hotel got its four stars rating from because believe me it is nowhere near that rating. I believe it should have at least another star knocked of the rating as it stands. Prior to arrival I had booked two rooms, reception seemed to have a different credit card registered for charging the bill to? It did not belong to me so I stated I would pay by my debit card which I presented this seemed to bamboozle her. The receptionist became quite perplexed about this and scrutinised my debit card thoroughly, I even thought she was going to use a magnifying glass to finalise the check, which I had presented to charge the rooms to. After a bit of back and forward chat she relented and commenced to charge each room separately to my card, what was that all about?? She said it is the only way she could do it? That done with, on entering the room it was a spacious room and appeared clean and tidy with a great sea view overlooking the pool and main road running along the cliff top. The inner wall on the sea view side had flaking plaster though dry which looked like damp from winter time and had not been addressed. Tiles in the bathroom were cracked and needed replacing. The bed was comfortable so that was a plus. When settled we went for drinks and a bar snack. Well!! You could have knocked me down with a feather, the cost of drinks was beyond belief and the cost of bar snacks was ludicrous. However we relented and had a bar snack with drinks which came to just over £63.00 for four. The standard of the food was reasonable and tasty and was enjoyable. The next day we went pool side for a few hours to relax, fair sized pool, busy and noisy with kids but did not over power the atmosphere. The water was murky and quite a lot of floating dirt and all the time we there we did not see the pool being cleaned, this a very bad minus. On the plus side the staffs were brilliant and were always happy to ensure you were satisfied, they got a bit of stick about prices but it isn’t their fault so they take it on the chin. On the down side, some of the staff do require a bit more training in organisational skills if the hotel require them to stay in the service industry, and provide the service that is expected by guests, it goes a long way, you know. On a good note the breakfast was good, Continental and full English buffet, with all the trimmings. Overall impression, not great, the place is a bit over tired, requires a refurbishment inside and out. Would I go back, not likely.

Room Tip: Be prepared for expensive drinks, small Magners Cider £4.35, spirit and mixer £5.00 plus, Beer £5.00...
2 Thank kipper50

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I was suppose to stay for 2 nights. I booked a family room, with a 5 wk old baby. Got to the front door and no ramp for the buggy. When booking in I Was told that there was no lift to our bedroom, I had to take the stairs, ( keeping in mined i had 3 kids a buggy and luggage ) I ask could I be put into another room. In which they did , but again in had to travel down two sets of steps.
The room was extremely old, armchairs where stained the bathroom sink had to be unblocked twice.. The whole experience was stressful, But on the up side the staff were extremely friendly
Wouldn't recommend a family with young kids.

2 Thank L0nd0nsurrey
Cobham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This was a decent hotel, close to beach and with both an indoor and outdoor pool. Also has free parking and free Wifi!

We were fortunate to get upgraded to a great, refurbished suite with a mini terrace and sea views.

Staff were very professional but it would really benefit this hotel if some could develop a warmer, friendlier manner.

Tips: If you are driving there, the last 20-mile leg of the journey can take a long time - so try to allow for this, e.g. travel during the week or avoid peak time of day. We thought we were being clever to drive there during the Wimbledon men's final but it still took 1 1/4 hours to do last leg of journey!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room and sea view.
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I stayed at Carlton for 7 nights.Had superior Double with Balcony Sea View. TV channels didn't work for 2 days. Locked out of room every day till in the end they took keycard system out and gave me key. Breakfast was rubbish. Couldnt get anything made to order correctly as waiting staff and breakfast chef were foreign & making them understand difficult. Dietary issues so ate very little. Balcony door nightmare cut fingers on lock every time. They fitted new lock made no difference. Balcony was cracked slabs, fag ends in cracks & weeds growing. Furniture needs binning. Spa out of order, changing rooms being refurbished so couldn't use either. Bed was very comfortable and some of the staff were brilliant, others surly and that can't be bothered attitude that you expect to find in a 4* Hotel! I would stay there again but better room. Bathroom was clean in general accept for shower screen hadn't been moved so build up of dirt hair & unidentifiable stuff. Again Housekeeping Manager came to see me personally but language problem. Didn't understand Elbow Grease!!! Chambermaid did clean it all after couple of attempts. Didn't realise window ledges & doors were part of cleaning room. Staff need better training. Hotel needs TLC to bring it back to its former glory. Lot more I could say in the negative but certain staff care a lot and did there very best for me. That and it's location is only reason I would return. Not 4* but if they spent some money, got rid of the useless staff and trained new staff properly it could be the grand old lady I am sure it once was. Going for Air Show in August if can sort decent room out!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank lauriewhitter
UK
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Arrived for a long weekend and were booked in room 97.
First impressions were very good, no aircon though :( but bathroom had around 50-75 flying ant infestation.
Had to contact reception 3 times in the next hour before someone came to the room. The couldn't careless attitude of reception and of the young man was shocking! Bathroom cleaned and we went out for dinner:
Came back, flying ants back again! Called reception, who sent someone to clean again, while we went to the bar.
Next morning, ants back, informed reception at 9.30am while we went for breakfast, but no Eggs, Bacon, Sausages or beans.....just allot of inexperienced Eastern European Waitresses. Lot's of people complaining. 30 Minutes later, once the chef had been told they needed more food, (or he didn't bother to come out and check) more arrived and everyone was happy, it was good.
Quite a few people were complaining to the Duty Manager at reception when we left for the beach, he was dressed in black shorts and t-shirt.....says it all.
Next morning, yes, the flying ants were back, called reception again and again and mentioned when we left for the beach as still no one came. Arrived back at the room after lunch (3ish) ants cleaned but room not made up??
Went down to the pool, quite a few loungers, but only around 50% were actually being used, didn't realise that putting down of towels and then leaving to go to the beach would have happened here, but I can asure it did. Mentioned to the Duty Manager - again Shorts and T-shirts, said he couldn't do anything about it as didn't know who's was who??
Back to the room....yep...flying ants AGAIN! Complained and even went to reception as it took nearly an hour for the same young man to come. He sprayed and sprayed, closed the door and asked us to leave 10 minutes. Opened the door 30 mins later....the ants were dead, but not swept up?
Came back to our room after dinner, still the ants were not swept up....unbelievable and totally unacceptable service.
Complained on check out Sunday morning and was told in certain terms by the receptionist that there was nothing she could do, as there was no mention on the Computer, but eventually, refunded just £30!
Considering the room costs were £320 for the two nights, (booked 2 months earlier) I expected a larger refund and superior service and support with the problem we are having.
Has certainly put me off using this hotel again, as there are far too many corners cut to reduce costs.
Menzies should be ashamed of the training they have given at this hotel, which a shame, as it is in a good location and with a little bit of customer focus, rather than staff standinga round talking, it would be a excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Be careful about being offered room 97, flying ant infestation, not all the windows open, only one b...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple