“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Berkshire
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2009

I stayed at the Menzies Carlton for 4 nights from 11-15th May on business.
I read the reviews for the hotel which appeared to be indifferent and varied. I found the hotel to be clean and well appointed. The staff were very friendly and approachable.
I had a large room on the 1st floor with an equally large bathroom. My only crumble was the room was a little cold and that there was a charge for internet which in this day and age annoys me.
Food was good. Breakfast was normal buffet fayre but good. Evening meal was presented well and the food cooked as I asked. Occassionally staff had to be prompted for coffee after dinner on a couple of occassions.
I did not use the gym or pool/spa. The outside pool was not open yet either.
The hotel is well sited, only a 15 minute walk from the BIC.
I will be staying at this same hotel next year and look forward to it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

Stayed at the hotel last weekend, got a good deal from lastminute, double room for me and my partner. Checked in and found the room to be good, clean, a little dated but good.

Staff very friendly and helpful, and proceeded to enjoy the nightlife Bournemouth has to offer!

SHOCK HORROR, got back to the Hotel about 12.30am, the bar was closed..... so went to bed for a good nights sleep only to be woken up all through the night by the room above with a bloody dog yapping and howling until 8am the next morning...and to make matters worse it had a squeaky toy...arghhhhhh

Complained to Reception who moved us to a sea view room but that did mean having to pack and then unpack again, not good, moved to a SINGLE room with the smallest double bed in the world and to make matters worse was like sleeping on the concrete outside.

Couldn't fault the staff as these things were out of their hands, but on the second night, we went down for an evening meal at 9.20pm, only to be told the Restaurant was closed ????

Oh and look at the bar prices before you order a drink, a bottle of becks and a brandy and coke....£9.60, I dont even come close to paying this in London where I work !!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank londonmalc316
travel101
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

Average hotel, looks better on the website than in reality. The inside pool is small, and the 'gym' consisted of a handful of very old machines that the average gym user probably wouldn’t be able to figure out how to use. A couple of them even creaked!

The food is ok, but unexciting. The staff appeared stressed and overworked, and many of them were present at breakfast and at bar closing, raising question marks over the hotel's employment practices. The hotel itself just generally feels in need of a spruce up-dated would be the word I would use to describe it.

Pluses: one very helpful receptionist-even printed out directions for our day trip when asked, great location, obliging (although, as I say, clearly stressed out) restaurant staff. We were also able to park every night, which is a huge plus. I would say this would be a good hotel for kids-the small inside pool is perfect for them, the rooms are spacious, and you are close to the beach.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank travel101_9
cluedotom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

Absolutely disgusting, over price food terrible staff need to be trained in customer service this is a 2 star at best please stay clear !

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
woodl2001, manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth Carlton, responded to this review, 16 April 2009
Dear member,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay at the Menzies Carlton Hotel. We obviously strive to make every stay an enjoyable one and one way of doing this is by reacting to customer feedback both positive and negative.

A duty manager is always available to speak to guests on any matter that concerns their stay.We would have appreciated the chance to discuss any short comings you had to endure and the chance to rectify any problems before your departure.

yours

Andrew Woodland

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

We booked into The Carlton at the last minute after The Cumbeland Hotel next door messed up our original booking with them. Thank goodness they did because we absolutely loved our 2 night stay at this wonderful hotel. We had an Executive Double Room on the 3rd floor with a stunning sea view & balcony. The room was beautiful but could have done with a tiny bit of updating if I'm being picky. The staff were all friendly, polite and efficient. The restaurant was particularly excellent - we had breakfast there both mornings, which was superb, and dinner on our last evening, which was probably one of the finest meals we have had. It reminded us of The Ritz in London. The leisure facilities in the basement were small but perfectly adequate - a nice indoor pool, jacuzzi & sauna, all clean and tidy. We are hoping to go back on a regular basis in future as we enjoyed it so much and the location is perfect.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
rickmansworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

I first went to stay at The Carlton in Feb 08,i took along my daughter who had just told us she was expecting her first child,the following Aug 08.I cant praise the staff enough,the friendlyness,cleanliness,the huge airey rooms and the food,WOW,I have booked to go again in July,this has to be among the top,best Hotels i have ever been to,roll on JULY

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Warwickshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2009

Mrs. Oscar (Warks) and I've just got married at The Carlton and I have to be honest, my overall impression is that in respect of the 'marriage service' provided by the hotel, all went very well. The planning was handled by people who clearly know what they're doing and the venue is exceptional, being picturesque, comfortable, warm and friendly. This is echoed by our guests.

We were married in The Library, with the reception in The Orangery. The food - a buffet - was genuinely excellent, despite other adverse critiques on this site about the food. Our room (214) was large and bright with a fantastic view out to sea. It was kept clean and well serviced, however in terms of decor it was a little tired. In fact, thinking about it, all bedrooms that we went into - and there were a few - were in need of a makeover. Our only serious complaint about our room is that the heating was oppressive! No thermostatic control on the radiators meant that it was all or nothing. At one stage we had to ask for the heating to be turned off in our room, but unfortunately this did not happen. This leads me on to the service.

Overall, the service wasn't bad, but it didn't leave me glowing. On the face of it the staff were what you would expect of a four star hotel, but everything seemed to be such hard work. If you asked and were persistent, things were done but if you didn't press it, they weren't. We didn't eat in the restaurant - we chose the entertainment offered by Bournemouth - apart from a very satisfactory breakfast each day, but we and our guests did avail ourselves of the bar facilities with some considerable gusto. It was a wedding after all! The service in the bar was sparse, but wasn't bad. The prices were high, but then its a hotel. Nevertheless, if you drink in bulk, or at a function, there is no doubt that the bar is not slick or value for money. If you're a mid-afternoon paper-reading 'sipper', then happy days! In short, they need to provide more staff at a function.

The reception staff were very polite, very pretty and very user friendly yet they seemed to unnecessarily bear the brunt of things. Twice throughout our stay we were asked to pay again for our pre-paid room and they were mauled! We were also asked to pay bills that we hadn't incurred - and once again they were mauled! It appeared as though they could either not understand the computer, or what had been entered onto it was very wrong. On checking out, we were asked to pay for unsigned restaurant and wine tabs that seemed as if they had been bolted on to our bill simply because we were 'Bride & Groom' and consequently the figure heads of a 'large party'. In our case, this resulted in an initial demand of £398 being reduced to around £60 and yet another mauling! Other guests in our party were subject to the same nasty surprise. I think the addage is, CHECK YOUR BILL!!!

Overall, not bad ....... not bad at all. Would I go there again? Yes I would, but I would take it for what it is, rather than expect it for what its site says. Its a nice place to stay.

• Stayed February 2009