“A Poor Experience”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth Carlton
Ranked #31 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Room 128 is shabby . Stained furniture and carpet. Missing coat hangers and base in desk. Too few items for drinks, for example, one sachet of chocolate, four tea bags,three coffee's and four milks. One small bottle of water was supplied each day to be shared by two. The outlook is into a wall and the window requires urgent attention.The room is close to the functions room and subject to noise until the early hours.We were kept awake by noise in the corridor until 4am.The TV is old and needs to be replaced with a good size flat screen type.
The bathroom requires complete refurbishment. The bath is too narrow and very difficult to get out of. The razor socket is worn out and the light above the bath flickers on and off.
The room rate being £190.00 per night is far too high for this room.
A couple reported to me that their mattress was so old that the springs were sticking into their backs, and they had a sleepless night because of it.
A three star hotel nearby is so much better that this hotel in every respect.
Please read the reviews on Booking.com as they back up my comments.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 June 2009

I read reviews on this before I went and thought it was very mixed. We stayed in the Carlton hotel, the purpose of the trip was for a hen night and there were 16 of us staying here. First impressions were very good. Initially I booked all the rooms on several different sites, So I spoke to reservations and asked if they could put our rooms together as we had booked them separately. They replied very quickly via email saying they would try their best but couldn't promise. Upon check in the majority of rooms were all on the second floor which we were all happy about, as we were all a knock away from eachother and also the sea views are amazing from the front rooms! Check in staff were very very helpful and even changed a room that one of my guests didnt like with no bother, they also price matched a hotel room we thought we'd have to pay extra for. The beds were lovely and comfortable. Rooms were clean and spacious. The hotel itself is lovely, clean and has some amazing views. Comsidering there were quite a few of hen and stags dos staying at the hotel it was very quiet and night. The hotel is right on the sea front. We also went for a swim both indoors and outdoors, pools were very clean and warm, the jacuzzi was so warm. We had breakfast on the last day, its like any normal hotel, abit pricey but if your hungover and dont want to venture out its ideal, the hotel also do vouchers for money off breakfasts so do ask. If you are like us and wear stupid heels, walking is possible but for those who cant walk it about a £4.00 cab ride which is nothing. Overall, pleasant stay and geat hotel!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 4 June 2009

There is a reason on a busy weekend why this is the only hotel with availability. Its way too expensive and maybe a 4* in Bulgaria, certainly not in the UK. The location is great but thats really all it has going for it. We had a room only and as you wil see from the attached pictures, this is why we would not go back. The room is a mess. Its old, not even a flat screen TV. The mold growing in the bathroom could be sorted out but no. The damp marks on the walls could be sorted out but no. I heard others complaining and we did not get asked if we enjoyed our stay. I wonder why! If you are willing to pay a premium for a good hotel, plan ahead and go somewhere else. I would not recomend this to an enemy, never mind a friend. As for the internet connection, wow I wonder if broadband will arrive before 2010?

1  Thank UtopiaTravels
Reviewed 31 May 2009

We stayed at the Carlton in Bournemouth and were pleasantly supplied initially. That soon changed!! The room was freezing - bearing in mind it was the hottest day of the year. We ha to have fan heaters. We were woken up by the room above and the room at the side of us - it wasn't pleasant being woken up at 4am. We then went to breakfast which was a farce!! They couldn't organise a p*ss up in the a brewery. We had to wait 20 minutes to be seated and were left in a hot house whilst they tried to sort it out. We eventually chased them and the table that they spent 20 mins laying wasn't layed and there was no food left. Had to wait a further 20 minutes for someone to bring in teas and toast - pleasant; no! Visit Bournemouth, just dont stay there!

1  Thank Bance
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I stayed at the Menzies Carlton for 4 nights from 11-15th May on business.
I read the reviews for the hotel which appeared to be indifferent and varied. I found the hotel to be clean and well appointed. The staff were very friendly and approachable.
I had a large room on the 1st floor with an equally large bathroom. My only crumble was the room was a little cold and that there was a charge for internet which in this day and age annoys me.
Food was good. Breakfast was normal buffet fayre but good. Evening meal was presented well and the food cooked as I asked. Occassionally staff had to be prompted for coffee after dinner on a couple of occassions.
I did not use the gym or pool/spa. The outside pool was not open yet either.
The hotel is well sited, only a 15 minute walk from the BIC.
I will be staying at this same hotel next year and look forward to it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Stayed at the hotel last weekend, got a good deal from lastminute, double room for me and my partner. Checked in and found the room to be good, clean, a little dated but good.

Staff very friendly and helpful, and proceeded to enjoy the nightlife Bournemouth has to offer!

SHOCK HORROR, got back to the Hotel about 12.30am, the bar was closed..... so went to bed for a good nights sleep only to be woken up all through the night by the room above with a bloody dog yapping and howling until 8am the next morning...and to make matters worse it had a squeaky toy...arghhhhhh

Complained to Reception who moved us to a sea view room but that did mean having to pack and then unpack again, not good, moved to a SINGLE room with the smallest double bed in the world and to make matters worse was like sleeping on the concrete outside.

Couldn't fault the staff as these things were out of their hands, but on the second night, we went down for an evening meal at 9.20pm, only to be told the Restaurant was closed ????

Oh and look at the bar prices before you order a drink, a bottle of becks and a brandy and coke....£9.60, I dont even come close to paying this in London where I work !!!

1  Thank londonmalc316
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Average hotel, looks better on the website than in reality. The inside pool is small, and the 'gym' consisted of a handful of very old machines that the average gym user probably wouldn’t be able to figure out how to use. A couple of them even creaked!

The food is ok, but unexciting. The staff appeared stressed and overworked, and many of them were present at breakfast and at bar closing, raising question marks over the hotel's employment practices. The hotel itself just generally feels in need of a spruce up-dated would be the word I would use to describe it.

Pluses: one very helpful receptionist-even printed out directions for our day trip when asked, great location, obliging (although, as I say, clearly stressed out) restaurant staff. We were also able to park every night, which is a huge plus. I would say this would be a good hotel for kids-the small inside pool is perfect for them, the rooms are spacious, and you are close to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends