“Customer Service Lacking”

Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Egham, United Kingdom
“Customer Service Lacking”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed for 1 night only. Room was small, dark and claustrophobic. Possibly suitable for a single traveller but certainly not for 2 people. Bathroom was so small; we had to take turns using it. We had paid the going rate for this room but we were definitely short changed. When I requested a different room, was told there were no other ones available. On checking out the following morning, was told by the receptionist that I should have booked directly with the hotel rather than using an online supplier like hotels.com. She said they would have given me a better room. I didn’t get an apology and was made to feel like it was my own fault for not booking the room directly with the hotel! I subsequently left feedback on the hotels website. Got a call from the deputy general manager. Explained what had happened in greater detail than I have here. He said he would investigate it. He was particularly interested in the comments about booking directly with the hotel. He said he would contact me following his investigation. I have not had any correspondence from the hotel since then. Obviously, customer service is not on their list of priorities. I would not recommend this hotel as there are other hotels in this area of Bournemouth which offer a better standard of accommodation and are much more economical.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not overlook the back door of the kitchen!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martina_q62
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Martina

I hadn't quite realised that this dated back to September but fortunately we are now in touch - I hope our resolution meets with your total approval and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. Our customer service was clearly not up to our usual standards for which I apologise but rest assured it was not deliberate - we pride ourselves on being able to resolve any issue that may arise and hopefully this will be no different.

With best wishes and thank you for your understanding.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The staff, were so helpful, we were a group of 20, but the staff were great with us. The food was amazing and wonderful quality the room was comfortable, and clean. I can not recommend this Hotel highly enough.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Wow - thank you so much Celstine for your 5 Star review - we look forward to seeing you all again very soon.

Best wishes

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Our group of 24 ladies again went to Bournemouth for our weekend escape to scrap. The Connaught Hotel was all we could ask for. The rooms were clean and kept that way to the point where I said to the lady cleaning my room not to put the coffee items away - but when I went back to my room it was all tidy again. Lol.
The food was lovely, well cooked, served and presented. I was not keen on some of the desserts and they kindly swapped mine for something different.
We had a lady who was gluten free and that was catered for.
The spa and swimming pool were excellent too - clean, warm and cared for.
As you may gather I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much Portchester for your fabulous review - we were all delighted to be able to look after you and even more so to know just how successful the weekend was for you. I never realised just how enjoyable these scrapbook weekends could be!! Until next year.......

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed in the Connaught with a group of friends for a long weekend mid January and cannot recommend highly enough. The staff were polite and went out of their way to make the stay enjoyable. My room was clean with a new bathroom and well serviced. We had lunch in the bar and I can highly recommend the sandwiches especially the gammon. Over the three nights we stayed we ate in Blakes Restaurant and had a three course meal each evening. The food was excellent. Having had a variety of dishes I could not find fault with a single dish, compliments to the chef. The waiting staff were friendly and attentive and jovial. There was a wide choice at the buffet breakfast well served and kept hot with no fat running around the fried eggs as is often found in some restaurants. Well done Nikki and the team.
The leisure facilities were first class having used the swimming pool, steam room and Jacuzzi. They were well maintained clean and welcoming (towels are issued which is a bonus). The hotel is a short walk to the beach and shopping centre. We are booking as a group again for next year and I intend to take my husband there for a short break for his birthday and will try and find more excuses to revisit during the year. Well done the Connaught having stayed in other four star hotels in Bournemouth and been disappointed I must say you excel.

1 Thank Lyn S
A fantastic all round 5 star review Lyn, thank you very much. I hope you find plenty of excuses to repeat the experience!!

Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

First visit to this hotel and I highly recommend it. Staff on arrival where very helpful, rooms are very clean, food is excellent, some reports complain about Spa facilities but we found pool, sauna, and steam room to a very high standard, parking also very good, room I must say we found very hot but better than being freezing cold, would definitely stay again

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gerryb1954
Thank you for your "Excellent" review Gerry - the spa changing facilities and WCs are currently getting a facelift and I have no doubt they will all be stunning when finished. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I booked a Superior room at the Connaught hotel to celebrate her 28th birthday. Firstly we mentioned it was my girlfriends birthday when booking the hotel and requested a Superior room with a balcony as a preference so we were delighted to find this had been organised for us together with a birthday card waiting in the room. The room was fantastic and very clean complete with a large television, mineral water and tidy tea/coffee making facilities. Our only slight criticism is that the water pressure in the shower wasn't excellent and we put this down to being on the top floor.

The hotel itself and the staff are VERY welcoming and it has a really cosy feel to the place. There are two spacious bars and we sat by a lovely open fire whilst enjoying a nice glass of wine and pint of lager (Saint Maguel on tap :)!!!!!) The restaurant looked busy and next time we go to the Connaught we have decided that we will enjoy a meal there as it looked very popular and busy.

The Spa facilities were fantastic with a large swimming pool, clean steam room and sauna and a warm spa pool. in addition to this, there were relaxing recliner chairs that we sat on and enjoyed reading our books - very relaxing! There is also a large gym at the hotel which we didn't use but appeared to be fitted out with all the necessary equipment.

As expected, the breakfast in the morning was to a high standard and there was plenty of it. Thank you To the Connaught Hotel for a lovely relaxing stay. Everything was to a very high standard and we will certainly be returning next time we go to Bournemouth.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jimbofire
Glad you had such a wonderful time Jimbo and delighted to know her birthday was such a success - many thanks for your "Amazing" review.

reading
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

After 10 months of broken sleep following the birth of my daughter my husband paid for me to stay two nights in the connaught as a xmas present. Therefore i was extremely disappointed and upset not to be able to sleep before 2am both nights due to the extreme heat in my room. I opened two windows and threw off my sheets- still boiling!!! I complained to reception at the end of my stay and no apology was given and i really didnt feel the complaint was taken seriously. I was simply told it is an old hotel and could have used the desk fan. Oh yes, my fault. I should have opened the windows, removed my bed clothes AND used a desk fan- in the middle of january. Of course. Checking other reviews this is a continuing problem at the hotel- and the response to these reviews by management reflects their lack of interest in rectifying this situation. The swimming pool was also a disapointment. It didnt look, smell or feel clean.. Possibly something to do with the leisure club toilets being out of order. Breakfast brought to my room was cold. On the plus side staff were friendly- but this cant make up for my overall disappointment with my stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Sincere apologies for the problems with the temperature in your room Gill and the way that it was handled on your way out - not up to our usual standards so please accept my apologies. I have asked our reception manager to call you to discuss - we don't normally suffer with heat problems in the middle of Winter so I'm not sure, until we speak, why it was so hot!! The WCs in the Spa are currently undergoing refurbishment and will be back in use by the middle of next week - guests were advised to use the facilities on the ground floor. My apologies if this was not made clear. I do hope we manage to resolve these issues with you and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Managing Director

Always book direct with the hotel 01202 298020 - we guarantee that you will not find a lower price anywhere else and it ensures you get the room and the facilities that you want and rightly expect. - great news, just awarded AA 4 star rating!!