“Great hotel, service, rooms and staff!”

Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
woodford essex
“Great hotel, service, rooms and staff!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I visit Bournemouth twice a month and during the last 6 months we have stayed in plenty of Bournemouth hotels. We wanted to seek out a comfortable hotel good value where I would feel comfortable staying on my own.
The Connaught is now our 1st choice hotel. We have stayed a couple of times already and have now decided that it is the best value in Bournemouth. The place is consistently clean, staff are happy and this shows through the service they provide, breakfast is really good and the Management of the place is visible.
Having tried others, including up and down the East Cliff, some very expensive, admittedly with great views none of then up to the overall standards of the Connaught.
The only problem that we have is trying to book asap as we have been disappointed. Next week we are staying at the Montague as the Connaught is already fully booked.
I have read the experience of the previous reviewer and could not believe it, do not be put off by this. The Connaught is a cracking hotel and great value for money !

Room Tip: One of the Superior rooms now has a jacuzzi, would recommend if you do not have time to use the Spa
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you very much Bournemouththom for your "Great Hotel" review which is very much appreciated. Th spa is looking really nice now and the feedback is very positive indeed!! Sorry we couldn't accommodate you when you wanted to visit again - it's the Easter holidays and the hotel is extremely busy and will be from now to the end of the Summer!!

Best wishes and thank you again

Managing Director

Always book direct with the hotel 01202 298020 - we guarantee that you will not find a lower price anywhere else and it does ensure you get the room and the facilities that you want and rightly expect. As a guide our standard rooms average 135 sq ft., superior rooms with a balcony 155 sq ft. superiors without a balcony 175 sq ft and executives 215 sq ft

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

"What ARE you doing in the men's changing room?" the man in the suit demanded, after I had kept 3 men waiting.
"What am I doing in this crappy hotel you mean?" I retorted in response.
"Well," he said, "I'm the Managing Director, you can tell me all about it."
This is what I told him.
"The rooms here are pokey, really pokey, especially room 21 where we are. Now don't get me wrong, you're staff are lovely, really friendly but there's clearly not enough of them. And how about this spa? We came to this hotel because our usual (3* hotel) was full and we were really looking forward to staying in a 'better' hotel".
"Well we are 4*," he said.
"You could have fooled me," I said. "Why weren't we told, at the time we booked, that the spa, having been under construction for 6 weeks was still under construction? We wouldn't have booked! We came to relax not to look at a building site"
"What can we do to make it up to you?" he said.
"Get me a room at my usual hotel."
"I can do that, but first think about it. I could put you in a better room."
Over breakfast I told Alan that I had walked into the ladies changing room and found a man in there starkers,and so had been told by a member of staff to use the men's changing room. And the MD told me off and then offered to do something about it. Shall we go up the road to The C----?
"Weeellll.. if he's going to offer us a better room," said Alan, "maybe we'd better give it a chance..."
"Hmm all right then, I suppose, but you have to take me to Blakes (the in house restaurant) for
dinner tonight but that'll set me back £60 without dessert.."
"Well let's pack again and go to The Ch---"
"Oh all right then, I'll buy dinner if we stay."
We went for our walk, came back to our new room, which was only slightly less pokey and then had a rest. Later we saw the MD again, smiling.
"I just want to warn you," he said "that the men are working on the spa again in the morning."
I exhaled loudly but said nothing. "What a great holiday this is proving to be I thought.
Dinner in Blakes was, dare I say it, COLD. Well the starter (3 scallops = £6) was anyway. And as I tucked in a piece of overcooked meaty garnish fell to the floor under my chair. (It was still there the next morning at breakfast) Breakfast was OK, actually it was good, but it was a served buffet and you felt greedy if you went back for seconds..
In the afternoon of the next day I went to the spa. I mistook the changing room floor for the foot bath. It was soaked and a warning sign was placed strategically by it telling us to beware of the slippery surface.
I swam a couple of lengths noticing the really grimy edges.before I got out. I couldn't tell if the sauna was clean because it was pitch black, lit only by tiny pinpricks of coloured lights in the ceiling - rather seedy really. Then I went to get dressed and the floor had not been touched. Really!! In an hour and a half, it had not been touched. In addition it was worse than ever because the one or tow people in there before I arrived had got out before me too. Honestly, I have seem cleaner council run pools and my socks were soaked. The hotel lobby is spotless, the rooms weren't too bad, but the spa - forget it!!
I left my comments in the hotel as I was asked to do for feedback and in a couple of days I received an offer of 10% off of my next stay. 10%!! No way! You'd have to pay me to stay there.

Room Tip: I don't know what the suites are like but number 21 is a corner room, number 32 is just a little...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank backiej
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Mrs B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review which I suppose wasn't entirely unexpected. You arrived at our hotel, in your own words, “stressed out” and sadly left still stressed out which is not what we are here for and for which I most sincerely apologise. On your first day, when we met, our conversation centred around your total irritation with the fact that work was on-going in the pool area and whilst it didn’t really impinge upon your enjoyment of the facilities everything went downhill from there and from that moment on, unfortunately, we could do nothing right!! I accept full responsibility for the way things turned out and with hindsight it might have been better had we booked you into your old hotel in Boscombe as you originally suggested – we did our best to make your stay enjoyable but it was never going to happen!!. The facility is now virtually finished, it looks amazing and has been well received all round by both members and guests alike.

Best wishes and apologies once again.

Camberley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Amazingly good hotel. Arrived on Sunday morning at 11am during a busy checkout period as a walk in after being let down by another hotel. Greeted by the manager Paul who found us a room and even upgraded us for free. Turned the room around so it was ready for about midday despite the usual 2pm check in time. Had an amazing lunch served to us by the excellent Louise who was friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The room was excellent, spacious, comfortable and well equipped. We had a swim, sauna and jacuzzi in the lovely spa. Went out for dinner and returned for a night cap in the bar where Marcio and Elkin were very friendly and despite it being late and us being the only people in the bar didn't pressurize us to drink up and we chatted and stayed in the bar until 2am. Excellent hotel and staff and will definitely return. Love the Connaught.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
We were all delighted by your lovely review Daniel, especially by Paul, Louise, Marcio and Elkin who got a special mention - thank you very much. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Staff all very helpful, and the food was excellent. Stayed for 3 nights in March, and enjoyed the use of the pool despite work being done to refurbish. Pool warm, with a sauna and steam room attached ideal after a day out sight seeing. We had a top floor room with a balcony which was lovely and quiet. Certainly good value for money we thought with the quality of the food and the overall service we received.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much Comfortlovers for taking the time to post such a delightful 5 star review. We look forward to welcoming you back later this year..

Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel and it's team hosted a large group of us for a function this weekend. Excellent food and service, works in the spa have been ongoing and it's in great shape.
All in all I would most definitely recommend.
Rooms are of a good standard, dining in blakes is a great experience with wonderfully cooked food.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Paul

A hectic and most enjoyable weekend to say the least and really pleased it was such a success for you all. Thank you very much for your most generous review which is appreciated by all of us at the Connaught and I hope we have the pleasure of your company again next year.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Receptionist very attentive, when I said I am very deaf she quickly produced a gadget which would flash when a fire alarm went off. My room was small but comfortable, it was spotlessly clean as was the bathroom. Large swimming pool warm and clean, changing room just upgraded.
Dinner food good, when I found shrimps in the dressing on the fish, not on the menu, and I am allergic, the head waiter quickly took my plate away, apologised, and had a new dish cooked without shellfish. I found all the staff helpful. The hotel is conveniently situated the only slight drawback was the car park was often full.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Montague M
David1007, Owner at Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you very much for your "Very Nice Hotel", 5 star review Montague - we were delighted to be of service, as always.

Solihull
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Spent a 5 day break here with my wife, son & my son's partner. On checking into our rooms we found that one of the pillows in mine & my wife's room was dirty and there were no teabags with the hospitality tray. Both issues were rectified immediately when reception was informed. The sound proofing between our room and the next was so poor that we could hear literally everything - luckily the single occupant was very quiet and we did not have any problems sleeping at night. The room overall was well decorated nicely furnished spacious and clean. Restaurant was good with a nice atmosphere and very pleasant staff. The relatively limited menu though both in the restaurant & the brasserie didn't change during the five days we were there and the food in my opinion was somewhat overpriced.
Overall a nice hotel in a good location with very friendly helpful staff and we would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mo G
Many thanks Mo for the "Nice Hotel" review. Apologies for the problems with housekeeping and delighted they were immediately resolved. Hope to see you all again soon.