“NEARLY THERE”

Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 13 April 2009

First of all I would like to say that as a frequent visitor to Bournemouth, I have stayed at countless hotels in the town over the years and one thing has always struck me about pretty much all of them. The fact that whatever the star rating, they all seem a bit on the tatty side. Dont get me wrong, Bournemouth is a holiday town and is blessed with many beautiful parks, beaches, an enviable climate and many, many hotels, but, like I say, they do seem to be trading on past glories somewhat.

I booked the Connaught as I'd seen the website and, of course, checked Tripadvisor as I always do. My wife and I were booked for one night to visit relatives in the town and celebrate my birthday. The website and majority of views reflected on Tripadvisor bode well for our stay so we were confident of a pleasant visit.

First impressions were that of a hotel possibly still in transition. The Connaught, I understand, is one of the oldest hotels in Bournemouth and it appears it is being gradually brought up to date in terms of what the 21st century hotel market demands.

Our room was a standard double in the main hotel and sadly seemed to one of the rooms yet to be updated. It was clean enough yet was very dated and tired looking. Bit of an eighties time warp with a battered portable TV on a stand, complete with equally battered remote control, faded framed prints on the wall, and one of those old radio things set into the headboard. The bed was lumpy and noisy and did feel as though a spring would give way any second. So slightly disappointed there. I think I would specifically ask for one of the refurbished standard rooms if staying there again - they all cost the same after all.

Good points however were the spa and pool located in the basement of the hotel. A lot of money has clearly been invested in this and along with a decent sized pool, there is a steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and well equipped gym . We made the most of our short stay and the fact that it's unlimited use was all included in the price of the room.

I think the thing that redeemed the hotel for us chiefly, however, was the hotel's excellent restaurant 'Blakes' . The service, decor and ambience seemed a world away from our tatty bedroom and we felt as though it belonged to a much higher grade of hotel. The food itself was superb - beautifully presented and superior quality food and wine . I can see why it has already won several awards.

I have to say that overall, therefore I would recommend The Connaught Hotel. I hope that the next time I stay there that they will have brought it fully into the 21st century and a long way from the grimmer aspects of faded glory so prevalent in some of its counterparts in the town.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,987)

Reviewed 7 April 2009

Excellent hotel, friendly and efficient staff. Room clean but a bit tired , bed comfortable,slept well,superior room wih balcony which was lovely, worth the extra. Swimming pool excellent ,clean and good length for hotel 18 meters. Breakfast was very good, good choice and food hot. Restuarant was very efficiently run by Nicky who was always attentive. Dinner was well cooked and beautifully presented, highly recommend that you eat there.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2009

we were very happy with our 'superior' room which was located in the main hotel and over-looked the out door pool (covered over due to time of year). lovely ensuite with shower (big enough for two!). we were informed that the room had just been refurbished; and it showed. although we did not view a standard room, we would recommend a 'superior' from our experience. good choice at breakfast and also enjoyed pool/sauna facilities. we would be happy to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2009

The good points. The staff were fantastic and handled our queries promptly and politely. The swimming pool area well maintained and clean. The breakfast plentiful. Parking available and close to town centre and beaches.
The bad points. Double check your reservation with them. We booked in January for this trip and they sent two email confirmations. When we arrived there was no record of our booking. We were offered a room in the down trodden noisy annex across the car park, at the same price! After questioning this we were offered a £10 per night reduction and a meal on the house. No real explaination was offered however the hotel was full and there was a Masonic Lodge evening function on the Saturday that took over the hotel so we suspect we were moved out. The offered evening meal was spoilt by being crowded out by the aforementioned evening function and the order was wrong and over cooked.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2009

I recently stayed as the Connaught Hotel Bournemouth and can’t recommend it enough, The hotel was nicely decorated, very friendly and helpful staff, the bedroom was first class and spotlessly clean, short walk to the beach and great value, what more can you ask for? I’ve stayed at hotels that are much more expensive and we’re not a touch on this one, I will defiantly be staying again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Reception were very efficient on arrival. My room was in the lodge attached to the hotel, had to walk outside to get to it. The room was a twin with the beds extremely close together, a good sized room however. The bath was very stained where the tap had been dripping and the bathroom mirror was very rusty. Breakfast was a buffet style and seemed good, but have to cook own toast. Overall was OK for a one night stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2008

I booked this weekend away for my 18th birthday with my boyfriend and I thought that it was great!! When I made the booking I asked for a refurbished room and when we arrived at our hotel and saw the room I thought it was lovely. The room was really clean, very modern, nice decoration and a good size en suite bathroom. The en-suite only had a shower though not a bath, but we were told this before booking the room so we were fine with it.

The Location of the hotel was good as it was only about a 15 minute walk from the town centre, which is a nice walk as long as you don’t mind walking back up a hill on the way back. And in the evening a taxi back from one part of the town centre was only £5.

The buffet breakfast in the morning was great! There was so much to eat and the staff were very kind and helpful.

When staying at the hotel you have full use the pool, saunas and steam rooms. The pool was a good size and was very clean; the only downside of it when we were staying was that the saunas were not working properly.

I would defiantly re-visit this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)