“Good place to stay”

Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Enjoyed this friendly hotel. Good points for me was evening entertainment and great breakfasts. Only negative was that in my view evening meal was too convenience food based for my taste.
Would stay again if in area

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank roger050950

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Just returned from a 6 night stay in Bournemouth at the Collingwood. The hotel is in an excellent location for the beach and the parking is a real bonus. We stayed DB&B and I have to say the meals were excellent. The waiting staff were extremely nice girls, a bit hard to understand what the dessert menu was at times but we got there in the end! Pool and facilities were very good. I did try the gym but it was so hot when I went down I couldn't last very long however noted the second time the air con was on so it would have been much better. I would recommend the Hotel Collingwood for a good 3 star hotel which was an excellent base to explore Bournemouth and the surrounding areas. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NMcD
Swindon
Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife and I together with my in laws stayed from 26th Aug to 30th Aug,we found the hotel to be perfect in every way.We requested 2 quiet double rooms at the rear of the hotel,which were very clean and comfortable.The choice and quality of food at mealtimes was varied and very tasty.The 4 course evening meals were particularly enjoyable.Staff in all areas of the hotel were very friendly and helpful.The leisure facilities also were of excellent standard,the pool was lovely and warm and the jacuzzi even warmer.Entertainment was good in evenings,covering all types of dance genres.Will definately return again.

2 Thank Edward L
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

you feel the cleanniness once you enter, the room is of good size and comfortable bedded.
the tea tray wa without biscuits and the shower was old with weak water stream.
the evening entertaining singers was a bonus

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Olton2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We only stayed for 1 night , but we could still see enough to give a good comment about this hotel. A nice clean room, Friendly staff, and plenty of car parking. We have 2 young kids and they enjoyed the pool and the short walk from the towns entertainment. The cleaning ladies and dining staff were all friendly , especially the dining staff who never stopped working and making sure everything run smooth. If i come back to bournemouth this hotel will be the first choice. If this service carries on there will never be any empty rooms....THANKS

3 Thank CRISPEE71
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I stayed with my wife and 5 years old daughter for 4 nights, I'll highlight the positives and negatives:
Positives:
1- Staff are very friendly and nice, 2- the room and bathroom were clean, 3- the room size is adequate, 4- the breakfast is good quality, 5- location is very good as its a walking distance to the city center and the beach
Negatives:
1- the room was very hot, although they offered us a fan, it just touched the heat and we struggled to sleep by night because of the heat that let us open the windows allowing mosquitos to come in, 2- the menu on breakfast doesn't have a lot of choices,3- If you pay a bit more you're get a 4 star hotel in a better location with better facilities.
Conclusion: If you're a family and you need a descent hotel, that's your choice but be sure you get either an air conditioned room or at least a room facing the sea to have a good stream of air.

2 Thank Amr H
barryclarke, Owner at Hotel Collingwood, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
We do accept constructive criticism However Air condition rooms are available at an extra cost as far as i am aware Bournemouth does not host mosquitoes
hove
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed at Collingwood with my husband for 2 nights.

The Room
Positives: We were given a room on 3rd floor, which was small. However the room was a sufficient size. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and there was provision of feather, as well as non-allergen pillows. There was a flat screen TV with digital channels. This came in handy for a very rainy morning, when we had to stay in! The bathroom was very nice and clean.

Not so positives: On the day we arrived, it had been a warm day and the room we stayed in retained a lot of heat, even with the windows open all day and night. It was like being in an oven! One of the initial appeals of this hotel was that it was described as being close to the town centre and beach. However the snag we found was that it was situated on a main road which was continuously busy and created a lot of road noise. This caused us to have a very disturbed first night’s sleep and we felt totally wiped out the next day. I am aware that I am not accustomed to this type of noise. I had to resort to buying ear plugs to ensure that I could get some rest on our final night. We did approach the hotel about if another room could be arranged, however the hotel was fully booked. We were also offered a fan for the room.
The other thing I would like to highlight was that our room faced another hotel, whereby their windows looked down into our room. There was no netting on the windows in our room (and also in hotel across from the Collingwood). Therefore we either had to close the curtains and be in a darkened room for privacy – or sit in bed being able to look at visitors staying at the hotel across the road, this was quite awkward at times.

Breakfast:

Positives: The full English breakfast was very nice; I had a poached egg, which was very impressively cooked! The breakfast came in very good time and quick! Nice tea and coffee. Service was very good and courteous.

Not so positives: My husband loved the breakfast, however felt his portion size was small. The breakfast room was spacious, however the tables were situated far too close to each other. I noticed that the option for a full English breakfast, (consisting of 1 egg, sausage, bacon rasher, beans, half tomato and mushrooms) was priced £12, we would say that was ‘half English breakfast’ (lol – left still hungry hubby).

Overall it was a nice stay and it was reasonable value for money. However the external road noise levels were higher than a level which was personally acceptable. I am aware that the hotel cannot be held responsible for this. However other visitors with sensitive hearing may need to go to a quieter area of town to avoid sleepless night.

Room Tip: Sleep quality was poor, soley due to external noise of the main road outside.