“Good location”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #42 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Stayed here with my boyfriend for a romantic trip - the location is really good. The spa is small but perfect! We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)

Reviewed 2 September 2011

we stayed here from 29th Aug - 1st Sept.
The hotel staff were great especially when my husband hurt his ankle in the gym, when you use the bench press in the gym be carfull with the pin it sticks & when you do manage to get it out the handle drops straight to the floor, on this occasion on my husbands ankle which ballooned straight away.
Another thing was i was charged for a complete shot of Jack Daniels when there wasn't enough in the bottle for a shot which the bar tender told me but still poured me.
The only complaint really was we were in room 66 & the noise from the road is really loud, it's was warm weather & we couldn't sleep with the windows open because of the noise.
We had a spa treatment which was great but the jacuzzi wasn't working because it's being re-tiled, & you get charged £10 for robes & slippers which should be complemntery this is the 1st spa hotel we've been in where you get charged for it.
Food was good but we stayed room only we chose to eat out & managed to find some good resturants especialy Hot Rocks down by the pier.
The lift is tired looking & abit smelly even though the hotel has just changed hands in the last 3 years.
But overall we enjoyed it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank baileysandicecream
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My Fiance bought me an overnight spa pamper Virgin experience voucher for my birthday. I love Bournemouth so chose the Hallmark Hotel. Afterwards I read the reviews on Tripadvisor and was suddenly really not looking forward to visiting. However, I was very pleasantly suprised! The voucher could only be used Sunday to Thursday so we decided to visit on the Sunday of bank hol weekend, as it was bank holiday we had to stay for a minimum of 2 nights so booked the Saturday night too (I'm so glad I did!)
On arrival the receptionist was very friendly and helpful, we arrived at around11.30am so parked in the hotel car park and asked what time check in was, she replied 2pm but said we could use all of the hotel facilities before we checked in if we wanted to. We had a look around and found that the public areas were all very nice. The bar and restaurant were very nice, however, the outside area could be improved. The spa was also nice, the decor could use a lick of paint but overall it was still a nice area and all the facilities worked well. The pool and jacuzzi were a nice temperature. My voucher included a spa treatment so I chose a facial which was good, I would recommend booking your spa treatment as soon as possible as they get very booked up and you may not be able to get the treatment you want.
Our voucher also included a 3 course meal in the hotel restaurant and this was very enjoyable, I particularly recommend the slow roast belly pork! This was gorgeous! The service was very good. Breakfast was very nice, great service even at busy times, there is a buffet of tradition breakfast items and you can also request other items such as salmon, black pudding, whatever style of eggs you want, etc. We were so full from breakfast each morning that we didn't feel hungry til around 5pm!
Our room was lovely, we stayed on the 3rd floor. The room was very clean, nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. There is a good size tv with all the freeview channels. There were some nice personal touches in the room, and a good selection of tea, coffee and biscuits. We were impressed with the housekeeping, on Sunday morning we went down to breakfast and returned 30 mins later to find our room had already been made up! The only downsides are that it was a bit warm (but you can request a fan from reception which solved the problem) and the view isn't great as there is a derelict hotel opposite (this really didn't bother us though). The location of the hotel is brilliant as it is only a 5-10 min walk to the beach and about 15 - 20 to the center of Bournemouth! I highly recommend a trip to Vesuvio an Italian restaurant on the seafront in Alum Chine (about 15 min walk from the hotel).
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: If there isn't already a fan in your room ask reception for one as it can get a bit warm even if...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Full payment required on checking in, plus £25pppn advance payment required for potential extras, staff rude & unhelpful. Executive room dull & dreary, beds have cheep acrylic dark brown blankets, shower didn't work (Rm 74), incredibly hot, no ventilation or air con. Bar over-priced & staff rude. Positive... restaurant food good & staff there friendly. Other hotels nearby much better !

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank andrea m
Reviewed 21 August 2011

The hallmarks communial areas look impressive for a hotel of the class, however the rooms are hit and miss. Some rooms are like suanas, while others are ok. Some over look the road and the derelict hotel next door, while others overlook the roof and air conditioning (which is for communal areas only, and not the room unfortunatley).
The hallways are a magnolia over textured wallpaper look, that doesn't match the lobby area, it looks dated and like they ran out of money to complete their renovations.

The walls of the rooms are thin, so if your neighbours are talking, you can join the conversation. I was suprised to have to pay a 49pound fee per night incase i used something in the room, as it was not advertised beforehand.

Breakfast is ok, although a bit greasy it sets you up for the day.

My family who also were staying in the hotel we treated rudely by the staff and upon complaining basically got told they didn't care, so i can say we won't be back. I would only advise to stay there, if other accomadation is booked out, and you are staying very short term.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I spent two nights at this hotel in a twin room with my sister. The hotel was a bit of a mix - the public areas i.e. reception and bar were nicely decorated in a modern style, as was our room (which was very spacious) but there were parts which were very shabby and let the place down. Our bathroom was very dated, the shower was weak and there was no ventilation. The room was incredibly hot all the time; we had the ceiling fan and a desk top fan (which was filthy!) on all the time, even all night, which along with having the windows open made the room just about bearable (the outside temperature was not hot by the way!). The spa was also pretty limited - the water was cold and the jacuzzi broken on our first day but OK on the second. Again, parts of the spa area were old - the door of the shower in the ladies changing room was broken and dirty and the ceiling tiles were fallng off. Having said all that, the staff were very friendly. I guess you get what you pay for and it was very cheap!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2011

spent all day with my 2 daughters in the spa. went in the pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, relaxation room and went up to the main pool and did 40 lengths aswell which burnt off the calories i consumed eating cake at lunch time!!
We live in Salisbury and to use our local pool is now £6.00 so to have all day at this spa and to relax and generally take it easy and to take in a little exercise was very good value for money. My daughters also walked into town and did some clothes shopping and we ended up at Harry Ramsdoms at the end of the day. A lovely day spent by all.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends