“Modernised hotel, good location, 2 pools”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #46 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“Modernised hotel, good location, 2 pools”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here with my 1yo son and it was great. Great location as only 5 min wander to beach. Old building has been modernised. Room quite spacious, shower pressure poor, food OK. They don't go out of their way to accommodate babies but are child friendly. staff very good. No air con.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Polish first
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Totally unacceptable standards and service. Swimming pool was supposed to be 30 degrees but we were shivering. Had to wait ages for afternoon tea and when it finally came, the scones weren't fresh and there was string in the beef sandwiches which my friend nearly choked on.
Try the Wessex Hotel over the road, much better standards and service - stay away from Hallmark Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jane658

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Corsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I have just returned from an over night break with a Groupon voucher. My friend and I chose to go to this hotel to use the Spa facilities.
Staff were friendly on arrival but not particularly helpful with giving information about the Spa facilities. The changing facitlities in both the pool/gym area and spa area were small and both had a horrible smell. However the actual spa pools, gym, swimming pool, steam rooms, and sauna were clean and well maintained.
We enjoyed a lovely meal in the Brasserie and enjoyed the buffet breakfast. Staff in the Brasserie were attentive and polite.
The biggest downfall of the trip though was that at 6:45am the Fire alarm went off. My friend and I dutifully left tthe building by the nearest fire exit and walked down over the roof to come to ground level by the staff entrance. No staff were there at all!
As we didn't know whether or not it was a false alarm we had to find our way around the front of the hotel and walk back along the pavement to reception (in our pyjamas!) When we arrived in reception a few people were milling about/checking out etc and we asked the staff at the desk if it was a false alarm. We were told 'yes' but it was only when we commented that it would have been nice to have been told this by our exit so that we didn't need to walk to the front of the hotel in our nightwear that a rather pained 'sorry' was muttered.
I appreciate that false alarms happen but it is very worrying that a hotel doesn't send it's staff members to each of the exit points outside to inform guests of what is happening...what if it had been a real fire?
I would not pay full price to stay in this hotel. It is not worthy of the 4* rating.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I took my girlfriend for an overnight spa break and was really pleased with the whole experience.
The staff were really friendly yet professional, the room was very nice with a huge en suite. The bar was spacious and had loads of seating, and the breakfast in the morning was absolutely fantastic - really relaxed, great food and it was organised well, with plenty of food coming through and no waiting for anything.
But the best bit was the spa itself. There's a gym and a very large indoor pool on the upper floor which we didn't use, but downstairs there's a smaller "warm" pool, the best hot-tub I've ever used (fantastic massaging jets and loads of them), and excellent sauna/steam-room/aromatherapy rooms (3 separate) as well as a relaxation room with sun loungers and magazines. My gf had a hot stone massage, while I had a 30 minute back massage. Tracy was my masseuse and she was fantastic.
I came out of there totally relaxed and nearly nodded off at one point, she was that good.

Overall, I could only find fault with one thing: the inner doors to the kitchen need oiling !

I thoroughly recommend the Hallmark and will definitely be back to visit again soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed in executive room which was ok but not great. Room was smaller, they advertise a couch on the website but ours didn't have one.
The bathroom was not up to standard. Shower was very weak and it took ages to get hot water in the evenings. We had to let the water run for at least 20-30minutes before the hot water came through. Toilet was uncomfortable to sit in because it was wedged in a corner.
Bed was squeaky and a bit too soft.
Having said that, the tv was of good size. We got given bathrobes, slippers and biscuits which was nice.
Spa was very nice. Yes the changing rooms were small but luckily I was the only girl in there whenever I went so I can't complain. Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and swimming pool were awesome! Aromatherapy room ok but terribly dark.
Had dinner in the brasserie downstairs - food was delicious.
Overall I had a good time. But I would probably not stay here again because it's not worth the money, or I would get a standard room at best. Although it did look like they were working on renovating some rooms so maybe it'll be worth going in a few months or so.

South Perrott, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Had a great spa day at the Hallmark Hotel today wth my sister followed by afternoon tea .
staff were friendly , hotel was clean and the afternoon tea huge .
would visit again , hopefully soon

Room Tip: didn't stay in the rooms just used the Spa
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I'm very hard to please and am not scared of complaining if something is not up to scratch (see my other reviews, haha!!) so, having read some other reviews here, was a bit worried about what my friend and I might find at the Hallmark Hotel Bournmouth. The package was a bargain though with treatments, dinner and breakfast included so we decided to risk it!
My best friend and I fancied some r&r so booked the mid-week spa break option.
When we arrived, there was ample free parking and were impressed with the smart reception area. Upon check in, we were informed that our rooms had both been upgraded, free of charge! Fantastic! The hotel reception staff were happy and friendly and couldn't have been more professional and helpful. They gave us directions to the beautiful waterfront 5 mins walk away and booked us a cab the following evening into neighbouring Sandbanks.
My room (12) was spacious, light, spotlessly clean and immaculatly tidy. The stuffed 'guard dog' Jessie was a nice touch and tea, coffee, cookies, slippers and robe appreciated.
Our second day consisted of 2 full hour-long treatments each (facial and mud wrap). The area was peaceful, clean and what one would expect of a health-spa environment. My beauty therapist Lisa was excellent. Chatty but not intrusively so, very knowledgeable and very good!
The pool and jacuzzi area spotless.
The food in the hotel brasserie was of a good standard and service was rapid. The breakfast buffet was well stocked and well varied.
Overall, I'm so glad I went here with an open mind as I was delighted with my stay here and would definitely recommend to others and return.