“Would be 4* but staff make it 5* !!!”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We had a night in this hotel which has slightly confusing car parks but the hotel itself is an old style building which makes it beautiful.

They have a lovely lounge and bar area which over looks the pool which is in a out building. We checked in quite quickly and had room 102 which is at the far end of the hotel in a very quiet area which is lovely. Room 102 is and executive double which is huge, you walk in to a big living room which has a large tv on the wall and a very comfy sofa, then you have a really large bedroom with 2 huge walk in cupboards. The bathroom is well designed and fully tiled so as you can tell the room was fantastic.

We used the gym which is just off the pool in one of the out buildings it is only a small gym and the equipment needs a bit of an upgrade but it's a lovely quiet gym. After the gym we wanted to go for a swim which we had to leave and go to the spa to get towels as the desk by the pool wasn't manned. The biggest let down to this hotel is the changing rooms which are poorly designed as there are only 2 changing rooms and if they are in use you just change where you are but if anyone opens the door to enter the changing room the whole pool can see in. Basically the changing rooms need to be completely changed but the pool is lovely and kept at the perfect temperature.

The best part of this hotel is definitely the staff who will do anything to keep you happy and a big thank you to the receptionist I didn't catch her name but what a credit to the hotel perfect example of fantastic customer service.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kayleigh_M_Williams
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for the great feedback, it is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I booked this hotel for one night looking for a relaxing afternoon in the spa followed by a quiet meal in the evening. We arrived at reception and booked in, the reception area looked clean and inviting. We were given our key card and told our room was on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately the lift appeared out oo order, the housekeeper was bashing the buttons trying to call the lift, saying it was not working so we decided to use the stairs. The signage from the stairs and in the corridors were severely lacking. We eventually found our room but our key card did not work. My husband then went back down all the stairs and arrived back with the maintenance man. He used his master key card to let us in whilst he sorted the key. We looked around the room and found that the bathroom did not even have a door on, when querying this with the maintenance man he explained that this room had an archway into the bathroom instead! This was not acceptable to us so we went back to reception to complain. We were given another room but we could not be given a key card because the only programming machine was with the maintenance man! A housekeeper let us into the room with her master key card but were not able to turn on any of the lights including the bathroom without our own card. We could not leave the room without a card to get us back into the room so could not use the spa until the card arrived. After waiting for an hour we decided to give ths particular hotel up as a bad job went back to reception to cancel our night and went to another hotel.
Our relaxing spa afternoon ended up being a stressful and frustrating afternoon, very disappointing!
I cannot comment on the spa as we did not have the opportunity to see it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Librarykaren
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

I am sorry that these frustrating issues led to you not giving the hotel an opportunity to exceed your expectations, we can never guarantee that problems will not occur, I wish we had had the chance to improve your lasting impression of us.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Excecutive Room was large but, the bathrobes were washed out musty smellingnBrown,I expected Fluffy clean white. the Mineral Water was for only one night not for the four we booked.The batheroom pedel bin, the kingsize bed was two singles strapped together. On arriving from south Wales on a very bad weather Sunday night very tired.We were given the wrong meal in the Resturant and another couple made a scene about us. When i asked If room 55 was An Excecutive room I was told it was, I was offerd to speak to the Manager which i declined as I was very emotional and I had booked the Hotel for our honymoon.We are both retired and not the complaining kind of people.When I went home I complained by E/mail but had no answer. The Reception Ladies were very lovely though. This Hotel was tired also Spa Gruby

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia W
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Patricia, thank you for your feedback, I can only apologise that I have not been in touch. I can only be honest, I do not recall seeing your email and it is hard to trace without more detail. Can I please request that you resend it to me directly and I will be happy to investigate and reply.
daniel.graham@hallmarkhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 19 November 2013

A friend and I stayed here for a one night spa package.

We upgraded to the ultimate spa package..the better half of the bargain was the hotel side rather than the spa. I can't say I was too impressed by the treatments I had. Whilst the massage was great I was quite disappointed by the mud wrap..not sure if the spa staff were at the reception when we came down, as a guy simply pointed to the direction of the ladies changing room, rather than showing us around like he did with everyone else but us..plus, we had to ask for our robes and slippers...the spa facilities are ok I guess, but the jacuzzi left you with sand or grit on your bottom?!?

Our package included tapas & wine, 3 course Dinner and breakfast. All were a lovely treat indeed!
The room was big and spacious with a separate bathroom and shower room and two sinks! I always love when there are two sinks..can't say a lot about the service. It was quite standard, nothing outstanding....let's just say the hotel spoke for itself rather than the people who worked in it!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for the detailed feedback, it is always useful to learn where we can improve along with where we have reached or exceeded expectations. I apologise for any service issues you encountered and I sincerely hope you will consider using us again in the future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We went to this hotel for a family function which was being held there. The impression from the website and from the reception area is that it is new and modern hotel. We arrived in the dark so we didn't know what it looked like from the outside. It wasn't until you got into the ancient lift that you realised that it was an old hotel that had been re-painted.

Beyond the main areas, the cracks really showed. It had be modernised on the cheap and it showed. I personally think that it takes more than a contemporary headboard and a lick of paint to refurbish a room. There were sheets and blankets (ugg) and a weird smelling counterpane on the top. The bathroom was tiny with a half sized bath and a moldy shower curtain (!!!! I didn't know anyone used those anymore) which gave that room an interesting odour too. The sink didn't drain very well and only the toilet and sink had been replaced which made the room look odd. On the positive side, there were good tea and coffee facilities in the rooms, with biscuits that we didn't eat but it was a nice touch.

The bed was small and uncomfortable, the type that moves when your partner turn over thus shaking you awake. All in all, it wasn't a good experience.

We didn't use the Spa or swimming pool but we didn't hear any complaints from those who did use them.

The bar food was OK, not brilliant, the rolls for the prawn sandwiches weren't cooked properly and the choice was limited. The breakfast in the morning was good. It was a buffet and as we were the first ones down in the morning they were still setting it out so it was hot. I thought the choice was a bit limited but it was all the ingredients for a full English breakfast.

The staff were very professional, polite and helpful, I can't fault them at all.

I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons but this is a four star hotel because of the facilities not because of the quality of the rooms. I think that the star system should be two tiered with one rating for the room and one for the facilities. If this is the standard of English four star hotels, it's no wonder that we all go abroad.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for your constructive and comprehensive review. I apologise for where we did not reach your expectations and I appreciate you pointing out the aspects of your stay that you particularly enjoyed. in the UK we benefit from a rating system that is universal, I believe this is unique as most hotels abroad are free to rate themselves as they see fit. During the AA hotel audit, all departments are judged individually.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I enjoyed a spa day at the Hallmark this Saturday, I had a lovely eye treatment from Lisa who was very friendly and professional and enjoyed my time in the pool area and the Jacuzzi, followed by a nice relax in the relaxation lounge. I found all the staff helpful and friendly, all with smiles and I felt very welcome here. I will definitely be going back here when I next come down to visit my daughter, only next time, I hope to have more treatments and maybe stay over and enjoy dinner here. Thank you for a lovely time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for the fantastic review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we hope you will be back to see us again very soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here for the weekend with friends and was impressed with the service from the staff. The rooms are also very roomy which was great. The decor was lovely and modern but the bathroom only appeared to have been half updated. The bath still had stains at the tap end and the shower was literally a trickle. Again the bathroom was large which was good.
Breakfast had a good selection where you helped yourself which was no problem. I didn't visit the spa but one of my friends said it was a little dirty.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank binkmb
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you for your balanced review, it is great that you enjoyed most aspects of your visit and we very much appreciate your constructive comments that will help us improve in the future. We hope to see you back with us again very soon.