“Absolutely dreadful, totally unorganised ...... Stay well away!!!!”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Absolutely dreadful, totally unorganised ...... Stay well away!!!!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I brought a spa package. I tried to make contact numerous times over a two week period -no one returned my call. Eventually after seaking to a member of staff from the spa, i was given the wrong information. The administratio side is extremely disorganised, the changing room facilities are very run down and the shower smells horrid. Steam room and sauna great but aromatherapy room smells damp and its cold. Overall an absolute disappointment.

• Stayed January 2014
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experiences regarding your spa enquiry and booking. Having recently taken over the general management of the hotel, I am sure you can appreciate that all feedback both positive and negative is welcome and essential to enable us to continue to improve both our standards and customer service.

I am very sorry that the information you received was inaccurate and further training of the new team has taken place to ensure that such issues do not occur in the future. The procedure for the reporting of maintenance issues has also been reviewed and we currently have an ongoing internal refurbishment programme which includes the leisure and spa areas. I am sure you will see an improvement in the facility should you allow us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

In the meantime, should you wish to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Polish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The staff were welcoming and helpful from the minute we walked through the door. Our room was a little small, but clean, comfortable and nicely decorated, with a modern contemporary look. The shower wasn't very good and would have been a little annoying if we had been there for a longer stay.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening, once again the staff were very friendly and efficient. The food was fabulous and very well presented.
The breakfast was lovely with a good selection, unfortunately the demand was not met, leaving a long que of hungry guests waiting for cooked breakfast. The staff were very apologetic and got fresh food out as quickly as they possibly could.
The spa was nice, but unfortunately there was a problem with a boiler so the water in the pool was on the chilly side.
The sea was a pleasant ten minute walk from the hotel, just lovely!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us in January and am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that your dining experience met with your expectations. We are currently reviewing our Breakfast standards and I am sure you will see an improvement on your next visit.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Firstly, I have to state that I have not stayed at this hotel. My Fiancee and I tried to book our wedding here and this is what I am commenting on.

We met the wedding planner at the hotel and were shown around and treated very well on the evening - it was their wedding day open evening. Promises were made, contracts discussed, prices confirmed and the deal was almost sealed.

We left with a very pleasant feeling about the hotel and looked forward to getting married there. Unfortunately, this is where the service stopped. We expected a call back regarding a couple of queries we raised, and had to chase this up. The wedding planner made excuses about an I.T failure.....this would not have affected the ability to telephone us though?

We accepted the apology and again awaited a response. After a further week of silence we escalated the matter to the senior wedding organiser. Two further weeks I insisted to be contacted by a manager to explain the situation. The manager was very apologetic and gave us the answers we requested one full month previously. He offered concessions as a way of a recognition that we had been failed in service and said he would speak to the team and ask them to contact us personally to finalise our wedding arrangements with them.

After a further month of no contact from the wedding planner, organiser or manager we decided to make arrangements with another (and much better) hotel.

I wanted any potential couples to be aware of our bad experience and to factor this in when deciding whether to have their wedding organised by the Hallmark Hotel.

Room Tip: We did not stay over night
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experiences regarding your wedding enquiry/booking. Having recently taken over the general management of the hotel, I am sure you can appreciate that all feedback both positive and negative is welcome and essential to enable us to continue to improve both our standards and customer service. I am very disappointed in the evident lack of service that you received and can assure you that what you experience is not the usual standard of the Hotel and necessary action has been taken to ensure such lapses do not happen in the future. On a personal note, I truly hope that you have a fantastic and memorable wedding day with our best wishes for the future.

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Room was lovely and big for a double, spa facilities (2 pools & a jacuzzi & steam room & sauna etc) were great. Breakfast menu was varied but buffet always was a bit cold - they need better heated service dishes. Staff were friendly and helpful and all in all a good January break.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us in January and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your break with us and had the opportunity to use the Spa facility. I do hope that we will be welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future however in the meantime I can assure you that the comments you have raised with regards to the plates and breakfast is being addressed and you will see improvements on your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife booked this hotel as part of an offer on "living Social". and used it as an overnight stop after taking our daughter back to Bournemouth. Our room was on the 2nd floor and at the end of the corridor, as a result it was very quite. The room was on the small side but was very clean and very comfortable. I would describe the decor as almost elegant, with the emphasis on almost, it has everything you would need for a short stay. On the down side, the shower was a bit weak probably because we were on the second floor, and the bed was made with blankets not a duvet.
We didn't try the spar, pool or bar because our stay was so short, maybe next time.
All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the morning was exceptional, the only possible improvement could have been warmer plates. We arrived late in the evening, very tired and very stressed. We went home refreshed and relaxed. Would we stay again? I'm not sure, at the full price, but if an offer came up again, definitely.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us in January, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Hopefully when you visit us again you will have the time to enjoy our leisure and Spa facilities, in the meantime I can confirm that the comments you have raised with regards to the plates and water pressure is being addressed
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have to say that it was quite disorganised from the word go. But putting that aside, the evening itself was poor.

Firstly, we had a gluten allergy and a nut allergy in our party, of which you were made aware of several times. However, when our allergy sufferer enquired on arrival just to check all was OK, she was told they knew nothing about it.

So we were seated in the second function room past the bar. Expecting wine on the table as previously confirmed, it was not there and we had to ask for it half way through dinner as we could see it was not coming. The 'cocktail' in the middle of the table was very watery and did not taste very nice. We received our starters which were OK, except the 'gluten free' version never arrived!!

Following this, our mains arrived. Cold, undercooked and unseasoned. And the gluten free? Never arrived. The waitress Katrina looked after her very well, apologising, and after raising the situation with the manager (male), who appeared to shrug it off, she personally saw to it that our allergy sufferer got a main meal. This arrived roughly ten minutes after every ones else's and was chicken and mash - not quite the roast turkey dinner which had been ordered, and confirmed that it would be suitable by Donya.

Myself and another colleague had the goats cheese pastry - again this was undercooked. None of us enjoyed our main meals.

So dessert arrives, Katrina manages to sort out a sorbet for our gluten sufferer. The cheesecake was not very nice, not much like cheesecake apart from the biscuit base. Again, everyone felt that the food had been chucked together without care or quality.

As a four star hotel we were expecting something a little bit special, but the food served would not have been acceptable even for a guesthouse. The Christmas tree in the function room was practically non existant, not the luxurious image which usually goes with a four star hotel. Had we been indivduals and not part of a group on a Christmas Party, the food would have been sent back and a refund would have been had. Myself and a couple of other colleagues, including the driver amongst us, suffered from an upset stomach the following day.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank rozren
Thank you very much for your constructive comments, and may I firstly apologise for the issues that you encountered both in the planning and day of your event. Unfortunately I have only recently taken over the general management of the hotel, however I have fed back your comments in our recent Christmas review meeting to prevent any further occurrences during not only this years festive season, but all our banqueting events in the future. I would be grateful if you would please contact me in the hotel as we do value your business and I would like to discuss further your points.
Canford Heath
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel was comfortable to stay in. The price was good. However it didn't live up to the standard of other similarly starred hotels that I have stayed in. It is a bit tired in areas, needs a bit of a refurbish. The staff were friendly and I found the bar to be good. Not sure about the spa as I didn't go there. Location is good. Car park is a little too small so I didn't park there as there was no room. But there was plenty on a road around the corner so it wasn't a problem. I will visit again, because it was good value and I can't fault the nights' sleep!

• Stayed August 2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for the balanced review, we are pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit. There is another car park on site, one on either side of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hallmark Bournemouth again in the near future.