“Good turn around”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We have been here before and were left disappointed but enjoyed the location so we returned on Sunday and were shown to a nice room on the third floor. We have commented about the one, small lift before and both myself and partner struggle with stairs but were happy enough with the room. We went out for a few hours and on our return found the lift out of order. We mentioned this to the duty manager, Katherine, who then spent time looking for an alternative room and showed us two rooms which were a little dark and dingy so having asked about the repair of the lift we were told an engineer would be out in the morning. An hour later Katherine informed us another room, 200 on the ground floor had been found by Christopher so we looked at this and moved to that room which was a very pleasant room. The decor in some parts is dated but the staff on the whole were friendly and helpful . I can not praise Katherine enough for all she did for us and I think she is your finest asset and recommend you hold onto her.
We visit Bournemouth often and would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Room 66 and 200 were both good rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Shabby, tired decor and in need of a refurb. Room was small with ugly view of the rubbish bins below. Couldn't use the spa facilities for the first two days because there were no towels or robes available due to a problem with the laundry. Would have left on arrival but there were no other hotels. We were offered a bottle of champagne as compensation which was then sent to the wrong room! The only thing this hotel does well is compensation and they can't even get that right!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank SeymourKelleher
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am sorry that you felt your were unable to take advantage of our spa facilities. Unfortunately we did have an issue with our laundry provider which meant that we were left short on dressing gowns, an issue which we appreciate was not acceptable and has now been rectified.
Unfortunately we also failed on this occasion to rectify the complaint and exacerbated the issue for which I apologise and can assure you this attention to detail has been discussed with the people concerned.
I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel in the near future and please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to return.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I was a little worried after reading some of these reviews but I needn't have been. I think its fair to say that there are areas of this hotel that need a refurb. The hallways have interesting carpet which I don't think would be good if you had a hangover and the spa's changing room is looking tired and is very cramped. Also there was a problem with condensation in our room which I think was leading to a small area of mould growing on the windowsill. But overall our room had a modern look and was enough space for two of us to relax. The room was clean and beds comfortable. To improve the room even more they need to change the nets and curtains to something more modern!! We had an afternoon tea when we arrived which was yummy as was the buffet breakfast in the morning. The staff were friendly and accommodating especially as we had to delay our afternoon tea as we got stuck in traffic.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emily_Dye
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have enjoyed a massage before in an hotel, but the Neck, Shoulder & Back massage given by Sophie in the spa treatment room at this hotel was the best I have ever had. Sophie was so professional and polite, as were all the staff there.
We were very happy with the Hotel and staff. ---L & S Somerset

Room Tip: There is only one lift in this hotel and it is kept busy. Try to be on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lenny Sylvia L

Thank you for your lovely review concerning your recent visit to the Spa, I will of course pass on your comments to Sophie. As you may be aware we are currently totally refurbishing our spa treatment area, this should be completed shortly to a very high standard and please keep an eye open for the great offers that we have available throughout the summer.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

shocking room, very very small in desperate need of decoration, felt unclean. Fortunatly only one night would not stay any longer! The newer part might be nice but my room (103) up two flights of stairs. There will be hotels in town.

2  Thank andy654

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. As I am sure you can appreciate from the style and age of the building that we have, all our rooms differ considerably in size and with the ongoing refurbishment in place internally, we are constantly improving these areas.
I am please to read your comment about the staff that we have as they are our best asset and a great deal of time an effort is put into the team to ensure that they deliver excellent service.
I do hope that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future so that we may restore your faith and please feel free to request any specific room when you book.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have stayed in Hallmark hotels before, so my partner and I were expecting a peaceful luxurious break away from our young children.

Unfortunately we had a very bad nights sleep as we were given room number 93. This room was very basic and in need of a bit of paint and a new mattress on the bed. However the problem was that we could hear the loud movements of the lift (which was just below us), this woke us up extremely early.
We did mention this at reception when checking out, but the young man on reception wasn't keen to discuss it, and he seemed to want to hide it from another member of staff that asked him if everything was ok.

The breakfast was really lovely, but we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susana A

Thank you for your review and I am sorry for the noise that you encountered from our lift during your stay. It is very disappointing that you have chosen not to stay at the hotel again as the large majority of our rooms are very peaceful and with the ongoing refurbishment that we have in the hotel I am sure you would have a restful stay.
I am pleased to hear your comments with regards to breakfast as we have spent considerable time getting the breakfast concept right.
I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith and visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Six of us went for a spa break.
It was a really good deal, which included 3 course evening meal, breakfast and a spa treatment. Unlimited access to the pool area.
This was superb value for money.
The meals had a wide choice of variety and were delicious.
All staff were friendly and welcoming.
Could not fault it and will be back.

Room Tip: Room 69 was great
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caroline B
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review and I am glad that you all enjoyed the hotel and the facilities we offer. As I am sure you are aware our Spa treatment area is currently being refurbished and I do hope you will return to see the completed area along with other new packages that we are putting together...keep an eye on our special offers page on the website as there are some great deals coming up, the 'Girls Night In' is a very popular package for groups wanting to spend quality time together!