“Give it a miss”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My boyfriend unwittingly booked a birthday break for us at this hotel. On reading the reviews prior to leaving I was a little worried what to expect. We were not disappointed
On arrival at the hotel, having parked a good 5 minute walk away (tiny car park full) you are greeted with a £50 charge to cover any 'costs' you may incur during your stay... This is refundable but takes 2/3 days after check out..
The room we stayed in was very small but sufficient. As mentioned in other reviews there were no pillow or mattress protectors on the bed and also a few stray hairs.. The walls are very thin and you can hear some of what's going on next door. The lock in the bathroom was just a hole and the shower freezing. When next door were showering you could hear a massive gurgle coming from our bathroom plug hole!? There were warning signs in the bathroom to be wary as the towel rails can get very hot - ours was stone cold!
Later that day we decided to order some food to the room. We then discovered we had no phone. So dialled the hotel number direct from a mobile. First through to the kitchen. We were then redirected to the bar. Then to reception where the phone just rang and rang. It was then picked up and immediately hung up. So I had to go down to reception to place the order ( bearing in mind an additional charge of 4,50/4.95 'tray charge' is placed upon any order to the room, this defeats the object of room service). I was told you have recently installed a new switchboard system and this could explain the hassle.
The following day we dared try the spa - we skipped breakfast having read other negative reviewed.
The sauna was out of order along with the hand dryer and an overflowing toilet in the changing rooms added to the ambience. It certainly felt less than 'luxurious'. We paid £148 for one nights stay and felt it was totally overpriced and unjust.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Charlkri
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay and I am very sorry that your stay was not up to standard. As you were correctly informed, we have recently had a change in hotel phone system however this does not take away from the fact that your room should have had a telephone. Daily checks are carried out to ensure that all rooms are ready for a guests arrival and it seems that on this ocassion this was not sufficient.

The breakfast concept has taken a while to get right with regards to timings, location and variety of dishes, it is a shame that you did not try this for yourself as, I am sure you imagine, we can receive reviews from the same morning/day/weekend that differ considerably.

I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Booked through spabreaks.com- which we've done a few times with really good experiences! Not this time! This hotel left a lot to be desired, and I truly believe that it should have its fourth star removed- its not a spa hotel as you'd imagine!

We arrived mid afternoon on the Monday 24th April 2014 to be greeted by a not too friendly member of staff in reception. It took her a while to locate our booking card and asked me twice my name and whether my surname was spelt with a "r". This left me a little shocked but as I was on my long awaited break I shrugged it off. She asked if it was one night. I replied no- two nights, in which she looked confused. She eventually gave us our key cards and mouthed (yes mouthed) that our room was number 42. I asked her to repeat and again she mouthed the words "room number 42". She didn't tell us on what floor or how to get there at all. We were left to locate the stairs and the room ourselves.

We could see from the reception area the lift,so we got in the lift as we could see a sign that said that our room was on the second floor. I'm not a great fan of lifts at the best of times, but given we had our luggage and the fact that we were in a room two floors up we decided the lift was the best idea. Now the lift advised 6 people max. You would have been lucky to fit three people in there. It was horribly small, grubby and the ceiling looked like it was about to cave in. As I suffer from claustrophobia, I felt it difficult enough but then it got stuck on floor one. The doors finally opened after two mins and as we decided to get out, the doors re-closed and shunted up again to the next floor.

Our room- we entered our room which we were met head on with an awful and pungent smell of stale cigarette smoke. not like someone had had one cigarette but had been smoking forty a day for the last two months in there. We entered, thinking that if we opened the balcony door for ten mins it would air the room out. The balcony, we couldn't use as there was a huge puddle full of cigarette butts. After ten minutes, both myself and my partner felt physically sick from the smell. Thus we decided to venture back down to reception, where we again got stuck in the lift on floor one and made me disorientated.

In all fairness the receptionist who dealt with us this time was more friendlier and very apologetic. She had her colleague to change our room. After standing at reception with our luggage for 15 mins, we told them we would go to the bar and order a bite to eat as we hadn't eaten since breakfast and once they had a room ready to let us know. The lady commented that they would be two more minutes so to wait. Another 15 minutes went past and again I said we were going to the bar to get food. Then they finally managed to give us a new room and new key cards, apologised for the last room (but not the wait or the appalling customer service) and told us it was on the top floor. Again we ventured into the lift. Again it got stuck on the first floor then carried onto the final floor. We located our room which was the best room in the hotel that they could offer us. On the surface (and after such a debarcle) it seemed to be a far better room. At least it didn't have a flooded dirty, cigarette butt filled balcony or stale cigarette aroma. We noticed it had a jacuzzi bath and a small dressing room. So we were pleased (at the time) and quickly ventured back downstairs as we were both ravenous at this point.

The reception asked if the room was better and we said yes and thanked her. We ventured into the bar area and was met by the most unhappiest and stroppiest bar maid I have ever come across who tutted when I was indecisive of what to drink. I shrugged it off- again I was on a long awaited break. We ordered our food which came to £16 for a sandwich, a wrap and a bowl of nachos. Which I can understand the pricing- its a hotel at the end of the day. It took an age for the food to come and when it did, the lettuce was starting to brown, my partners caesar sandwich had crab paste amongst the mayonnaise and generally it was appalling. We ate as much as we could (we were starving at this point and didn't want to complain again) before going back to our room.

We found the room really stuffy and hot upon our return and couldn't find a thermostat (even travel lodge hotel rooms have thermostats), we noticed that everything seemed to be grubby, our tea/coffee facilities hadn't been properly replenished, we only had one set of towels and one pair of slippers and towel gown, the jacuzzi bath had scum marks around the holes and a small sign on the wall above it saying it was out of order. The toilet seat wasn't fixed to the pan properly and wasn't the right size anyway! The furniture was all scuffed, marked and the chair looked like had bleach marks over it. The room seemed really grubby and not what I would expect from a 4* hotel and for the money we had already paid. it was a good job we brought towels ourselves.

When we started getting ready for dinner (dinner was included in our stay) we quickly noticed that the shower tray filled up alarmily fast with brownish water which meant between rinsing we had to turn the shower off when applying shampoo/conditioner/shower gel. Upon looking inside the shower, the tray had a build up of soap scum along the edges and the plug was clearly blocked. And the bathroom had ants! Nice little addition for the money we paid!

We went down for dinner for 8:30 pm and the waitress was lovely. Very attentive. Which had to mask the appalling wait for the food. Our food was edible and I was so glad we didn't have to pay for it at the full prices. Would not be worth the money at all! The wait between courses wasn't great but we finally finished our last course at 10:15 and decided to venture into the town for a walk and look around. We arrived back and went to bed. When arriving back into the room we could hear the person next door snoring. It sounded like they were in the room with us, so the walls must have been very thin. The traffic noise in the morning was atrocious too.

When we went down for breakfast we waited to be sat down and waited awhile. Finally sat and the waiter asked whether we wanted tea or coffee. There was no instruction front he waiter as what the procedure for the buffet breakfast was, and we had to ask another waitress who was just as stroppy as the barmaid front he night before.The coffee was awful!! Instant would have been better! The buffet full breakfast was luke warm at best so we thought it best for our stomachs to stay clear of the eggs due to the temperature problem. Upon eating the warm/cold brekkie, the sausages were anaemically pink and stone cold! not great start.

We enjoyed our day out in Bournemouth and thoroughly enjoyed- thank god. We decided we would try out the spa facilities in the afternoon. The lady in the spa reception was helpful and told us where the changing rooms was and apologised because the sauna was out of order (what a shock). We got changed in what could only be described as a misused corridor. It was filthy! The swimming pool was freezing, one member of the spa complained about the temperature so the lady in the spa reception set up a hose pipe with hot water into the jacuzzi but nothing else. The one jacuzzi had bubble bath in it- which apparently is used to hide a multiple of sins (according to my hospitality friends). The steam room wasn't hot, the aromatherapy room wasn't working properly and there was no ice room like the brochure suggested. The only room that worked was the relaxation room which consisted of 7 sun loungers in a darkened room with pan music played. So even if it had been just as appalling, we wouldn't have been able to see it anyway! I was so glad that I did not purchase any spa treatments as I had planned to do!

The dinner on the second night was far worse. We arrived at 7 and due to the delay between courses didn't finish until 10 pm!!! Plus I found lumps of blue cheese in my raspberry sorbet! Which the waitress changed and apologised for but there was no offer of any free drink or complimentary anything!!!

The next morning we were rudely awoken by the fire alarm so rushed downstairs. No member of staff was at the reception area to tell us anything, and two persons staying at the hotel told us it was a false alarm and that apparently the staff were trying to turn the alarm off. We decided to go for breakfast seeing as we were downstairs. Again the food was cold and I had to ask a stroppy waitress for milk for my tea.

The alarm carried on for another half hour, whilst we ate our food. We left the hotel not happy. We did tell the receptionist we will not be staying in this hotel again or recommending it. The receptionist did not seem to be bothered at all!!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel! But if you still want to stay here, room 69 apparently is the best one!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Claire R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us and I most concerned about the issues that you encountered and apologise that your stay seemed to miss our usual high standards.

Unfortunately, we have a different guest in room 42 on the dates that you have mentioned and he was in for 4 nights booked directly with ourselves.

It is unfortunate that you didnt raise your points with the hotel at the time or even chose to contact the hotel directly after departing so that we may at least have the opportunity to investigate and come to some resolution.

I can assure you that the spa and leisure facilities are all to the highest standard, chemical levels are all checked regularly as they should be and we certainly do not put bubble bath in the Jacuzzi. I am sure your hospitality friends would confirm that were this to happen, the entire area would be covered in bubbles.

We did have to call out our fire alarm engineer which was due to an unexpected fault, but we of course understand how disruptive the noise was.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel and return in the near future

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I had arranged a stay for two nights with my partner for his birthday treat over the bank holiday weekend and found the hotel on late rooms and from the pictures and hotel website looked perfect, how wrong could this have been! Firstly we arrive and I had been told I had to pay 50 pounds as a cover for the room which I didn't understand at all and receptionist didn't explain properly either but she has said I would get this back at the end! So I agreed to pay! We then got to our room which I was very disappointed about as it was very small, bathroom small and the room was dirty covered in dust with hairs in the bed which didn't even have a nice cover was a basic sheet and old blanket! I had a tidy round and washed out the bath to feel more hygienic! Come night time hotel was very noisy and walls thin, tv remote didn't work properly and shower cold! I tried I make the best out of a bad situation and wait till morning to talk to a member of staff! Next was breakfast, we arrived downstairs at 9am and was seated at a table to then go and help ourselves to what i wouldn't even give my dog!! Was awful!! Rare sausages and oily bacon!! After this we spent as much time out of the hotel as we could otherwise I would of got more wound up that I had paid 160 pounds for a two night stay at the worse hotel I had ever been too! On check out I was old the money would go back in my account which it hasn't yet after two days so will be taking this further if not in the next couple of days! Stay away people!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Samantha19899

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment following your recent stay at the hotel and its a shame that you didnt bring the issues to the attention of my management team so that they could have ensured that your early comments did not detract from your stay with us. We have worked hard at our breakfast concept and have had much excellent feedback and so it is disappointing to read your comments at this stage.
I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have never wrote a bad review of a hotel or experience before, however I feel obliged to in the case of my stay at this hotel.

On Saturday 2nd May 2014 I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights together with 4 close friends. Unfortunately we seemed to encounter one problem after the other, and I could not recommend to stay elsewhere enough.
1 – The booking I originally made in January was for 2 twin rooms. Later a 5th girl said she would like to join, therefore I called the hotel and was told if I upgraded to an executive room it would be suitable for 3 persons. I therefore agreed to this. Upon arrival at check-in there seemed to be some confusion regarding our rooms. It took the receptionist ages to find our details and got confused when I asked him which room was which. He took full payment for both rooms and handed me 2 door cards for each room. When I asked which was which he said room 42 was the room for 2, and room 98 the executive room for 3. We were given 2 double beds instead of twin beds in both rooms, and the 3rd bed had been put in the smaller standard room – not the executive room we had paid extra for because we were told we had to!
2 – Rooms were not cleaned properly at all! The beds had been made – however the bins had not been changed, and the glasses and tea mugs used in the morning not been cleaned or replaced. Such poor cleaning service – We asked at reception for fresh ones which we did get 2 hours later!
3 - There were no mattress or pillow protectors on either of the beds, just a sheet! It felt dirty and unhygienic, there was also lots of little hairs on the actual pillows themselves which was not nice at all!
4- One of the girls also got a piece of glass in her foot when climbing into bed! We had no glass or breakages during our stay, therefore it must have been there from before. Another fault due to lack of good cleaning facilities!
5 – Shower was freezing cold!
6 – A reservation had been made at the spa for one of the girls, however there was no record of it. The spa said they had no treatment times available at all for the 48 hours we were there and refused to put us on a reservation list. I was not at all impressed that we couldn't have 1 single treatment in the whole 48 hours there, especially after we had made a booking but it had not been recorded properly!
7 - We spent the afternoon using the spa facilities even though we was unable to be accommodated for any treatments. 2 girls were also using the facilities that were not hotel guests or part of any membership – what on earth where they doing there then? It appeared they had just walked in and were allowed to use the facilities!
8 – Both the Saturday and Sunday night we were back at the hotel by 10:00pm. We returned to our room on Sunday night and started to watch ‘Bride Wars’ on TV. Just before 11pm we had security knock and ask us to keep it down due to ‘noise complains’. What utter rubbish; we was watching TV!
9 - To make it worse the following morning we were woken at 6am from the family upstairs running around the room slamming doors! We was very close to putting in a complaint ourselves, having realized it must have been them that complained about our TV being on the night before!
9 – To top it all off upon check-out we were told that we had paid in full for 1 room, but only for 1 night on the second room and there was an outstanding balance for the 2nd night on this room. Again what rubbish! Why would the receptionist have taken full payment for one room but only for one night on the other from me when I checked in, both rooms, being under my name and confirming I had paid everything after I asked? Absolutely outrageous! I have never been more angry!
After a discussion with the receptionist who I believe was the manager, we refused to pay anymore and were allowed to leave. She did not try to stop us or call security, and the fact it seemed we was not going to be charged due to the awful experience we had had. She never mentioned we would still need to pay any extra after making the complaint and let us walk away after handing back the hotel card keys. She apologized for our experience and gave me the email address to send a complaint to.
I then checked my bank statement last night and have seen I have been charged another £89.10 from hallmark hotels which I did not make! I did not put the card into any card machine and enter my pin, therefore this has been taken without any card holder permission. This is a complete disgrace and I could not be more furious!

Do not stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a clean room and good customer service - do not stay here!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank allisha s

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us and I most concerned about the issues that you encountered and apologise that your stay seemed to miss our usual ghigh standards. It is unfortunate that you didnt raise your points with the hotel at the time or even chose to contact the hotel directly after departing so that we may at least have the opportunity to investigate and come to some resolution, especially as you say we have allegedly taken money from your account, this is something that I would find most urgent to be rectified.
With regards to your comments on the use of the spa, we are open for residents, non residents, members and general public should they purchase a day pass, spa break or pamper day. For this reason we do ask that any spa treatments are booked as early as possible as we very rarely have appointments within a 48 hour period.
It is a shame that you have chosen not to give us the opportunity to prove to you that, whilst we do not always get it right and have the challenges of new team members, our standards are much higher than you experienced.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We visit Bournemouth every year but this was our first visit to the Hallmark Hotel. The hotel was clean and comfortable with superb facilities. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The only downfall was that we booked a family room on "late rooms" website. Please note that the hotel has no family rooms. This meant my daughter had to sleep on a foldaway bed which wasn't ideal.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hello,
I and some friends have spent two nights to celebrate a friends up coming wedding in this hotel and it was one thing after another, we aren't the typical hen weekend and were just seeking some time away together to relax and enjoy each others company.
- checking in that should have been simple took ages 20-30 mins (later to find out it was a new member of staff) but still that is lack of training on their behalf.
- lack of direction for parking and minimal spaces once found.
- the rooms were booked as twins but both rooms were double beds
- the rooms were allocated at opposite ends of the hotel (even though we were one group)
- one room was required to have an extra bed which we did have but it had been put in the smaller room???
- the spa treatment that we booked in advance for the bride to be had been cancelled (or lost/not booked) random excuse - no other options or compensation for the pa lava was offered.
- one of the rooms wasn't cleaned after the first night - no clean glasses or towels
- the robes and slippers were supposed to be in the rooms for us we didn't obtain these until we went into the spa (where the member of staff was brilliant and gave us the robes as soon as he got some).
- cold water for a shower so used other room (on opposite side of hotel)
- the icing on the cake was when we came to check out and they asked for payment (we'd paid on check in and told it was full amount) which caused great confusion for both ourselves and the staff.

All in all there were a few members of staff that could do the job but the hotel was a great disappoint that is severely lacking in organisational and conversational skills between staff members.

Think long and hard before going to this hotel it may be not what you expect. After all there is no beach view as may be advertised.

Room Tip: Probably wouldn't make a difference as the hotel don't always listen to the guests requests.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Claire W
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your feedback, I am most concerned with the issues that you have raised and would be grateful if you would contact me directly at the hotel on 01202 751000 so that I may be able to investigate fully and come back to you

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Myself and my partner was looking forward to a wine and hotel stay courtesy of a voucher for my birthday. We drove over an hour to get to the hotel and when we got there it looked ok. There was not sufficient signage where the parking was or where the main entrance was, but that didn't deter us as we was weary. When we got to the main reception, we waited 10 mins to be served (even though there was 4 people on reception) We checked in and went to our room, now apparently this hotel is 4* I have no idea how as the lift just fitted myself and my partner with just two 'carry on' suitcases, it was very outdated. When we got to our hotel room, the first appearance looked well, but then looking further into the room we discovered some horrors. We found what seemed to be blood stain on the net curtain, no mattress protector or pillowcase protectors (which in my view is essential to ANY hotel), the mattress was severely stained and the pillows has hairs embedded in them ( when I say hairs I mean ALL types) the pillows were stained too with only the pillow case on them, the throw on the bed looked like a cheap pound land throw and had seen better days. There was a thick layer of dust on the three picture frames above the bed, on top of the TV unit and below the TV also on the stool. The light on the mirror didn't work at all and the toilet roll holder was literally coming off the wall. there was bad cracks in the wall and in the ceiling and what appeared to be damp spots in the ceiling as well as water stains down the wall. Also the little unit where you put your card in for power... you could see the dirt from fingers and the paint has been worn away, there was a burn mark and obvious water damage to one of the bedside tables and I know its petty, but no back on the remote control. In short this hotel room was a disaster. I was so disgusted that my partner and I went to reception and told them we was not staying in this hotel. The hotel manager was not available but i think his second in command didn't seem phased and just said "well, sorry" and that was it. We then went to another hotel to stay the night. To add insult to injury the hotel decided to try and charge is £66 for what we guess is a cancellation fee AND there was no wine in the room to which the voucher stipulated there would be.

I have never walked out of a hotel before, and I've stayed in many. I just could not comprehend the state this hotel was in.

Room Tip: if you want a good room, go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ally J

Thank you for your review and that of your friends below, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, as I am sure you can appreciate, feedback both positive and negative is essential for the further improvement of the hotel.

Your comments were passed to the Housekeeping department with regards to the state of the room as all rooms are checked daily to ensure that they are ready for the next guests arrival however it seems that the mattress protector was missed on this ocassion and the nets were immediately removed.

Unfortunately, the damage that is caused by other guests to fixed items such as the bedside cabinet will take a short while longer to replace.

I do hope that your experience did not detract from your stay in Bournemouth.