“Worst hotel I've ever stayed at”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel I've ever stayed at”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

It was not in my intention to write a bad review. However, after being ignored by the hotel staff I feel this is the only way of showing my disappointment.
I would not complaint about old décor, dark corridors and hot room if only the areas would be clean!
As soon as I checked in to the room 84 I noticed that toilet was not cleaned, bedroom bin was filthy, bedroom mirror full of smears, blood marks on bathroom mirror and bed linen was not changed (full of hairs from previous guest)!
I contacted the reception and requested housekeeping service as above-mentioned faults were found by me and it was absolutely unacceptable.

After returning to the room I noticed that bed linen was changed and toilet cleaned. However, no one bothered to clean mirrors and bedroom bin (even though I left it on the stool so they can see it). As it was late I decided to wait until next day and see if housekeeping will pick up on these while cleaning the room.
Unfortunately, after returning to my room this afternoon I noticed that none of mentioned has been cleaned... Speechless.

Also, it would be beneficial is someone could check the cleanliness of public areas from time to time. Not vacuumed lobby carpet and thick dust in the lift ruins the first impression.

On top of all these there is no way to connect to the internet. I mentioned it to the reception staff on few occasions and still nothing has been done. Only thing I was told was ''it is not the first time we are having problems with the router''.

The most disappointed thing about my stay is that no one even bother to apologize for any of issues.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Ania_Sup

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Polish first
Hereford
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Very clean rooms and great position.
Helpful and friendly staff thank you for making our short stay so good.
We will definitely be back soon to make use of all your spa facilities they looked epic.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was probably my third or fourth time here on business and I've always found the hotel to be OK. On this occasion, though, it just didn't seem to gel.

Firstly, the car park is always full. I am convinced local residents use it as no matter what time I arrive, there is hardly ever a space. Check in was a slow process although the receptionist was clearly new, so perhaps forgivable.

The public areas are very nice - bright and light, with a feeling of space. But that stops when you go to your room. The (only) lift is an antique, the bedroom corridors dark, narrow and look like they've not been updated since the 50's.

My room was very small, but nevertheless comfortable and I slept OK.

I had dinner in the bar and I have the say the barman was totally disinterested. Couldn't remember where I was sat (in a bar with only a couple of tables occupied), didn't get the billing right, and ran out of one beer.

All in all, I might try elsewhere next time and would recommend you consider the same.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brightone2
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

A friend and myself went to the spa for complimentary treatments given by a previous manager after a disastrous day at the spa last year. This time things were VERY different, the staff were lovely...very courteous and the treatments were excellent. I would recommend this hotel for Spa treatments based on our experience this time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Reading
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

It was terrible, rooms dirty really hot and stuffy even with the windows open. It was grubby and lots of mould in the bathroom! no way a 4* it was a Christmas prezzie. It was a Virgin letter day. Shame as it looked ok from the outside and reception.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank clubmangt

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked a room for one night in this hotel to coincide with a spa voucher received as a present. A four star rated hotel so expected a good stay.

Unfortunately, we were very disappointed. From the ground floor and bar, it looked pretty decent. However the room was another matter.

The first issue we had was with the noise. This was caused by the urgency of room doors closing and the wafer thin walls and ceiling allowing most of surrounding rooms noise through.

The room itself was tired but they have obviously tried to tidy it up. It could have done with a vacuum as there was dirt and dust in the carpet.

Turning to the bed, it had a mattress which had seen better days. The fact it dipped in the middle when we tried to sleep on it, led to an interesting nights sleep (or lack of it). Also it had a horrible stain on it, along with the bed linen. Not a nice surprise!

All in all, I don't think it can be classed as a four star on our experience. I have stayed In better three stars, so four is very generous. They do need to seriously look at the quality of rooms and beds.

On a positive note, the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank njt76
Louise A, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay and I am sorry that the furniture in your room detracted from your stay. I can assure you that your comments have been passed on to the head housekeeper and we are in the process of ordering new mattresses and protectors.
Once again thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will return in the near future to see the changes being made throughout the hotel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

So myself and my friend came along to experience a spa day and treatment. When we arrived it took a while to locate us and told to walk through, we weren't given any information about where to go. We wandered to the changing rooms. Good grief!The place was in such a bad way and the floors were wet. I then noticed the toilet was out of order so had to go up another floor to go to the toilet. My treatment was nice, but the place was being done up. To walk to the treatment room we has to walk past builders in our dressing gown. That is NOT acceptable. We found the aromatherapy room not working. The pool was cold. There was a hospital bed in the relaxation room! I also did not find it hygienic to sit on wet cloth from someone else. I made the most of my time as I was with. Friend but avoid this place if you can. We were then moved changing rooms to the end of the hotel as workmen had taken over our changing room. For a four star hotel it was shocking.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank 138Maika
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your spa day. The dressing gowns are optional for our spa guests to wear, with most prefering this to lounge around in both by the poolside and in the bar area.

We have just, today, finished the refurbishment in the spa treatment rooms, the aromatherapy room has not been out of order however this is not supposed to be similar to that of a sauna which alot of people make the mistake of.

The relaxation room is a darkened room so that is a relaxing and quiet area for guests to restreat to and has the loungers for that specific reason, however the bed that you have described as a 'hospital' bed is actually an electrically operated spa treatment bed.

I do hope that you will decide to return to the hotel in the near future to see the improvements that have been made.