“Very disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #47 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel just made mistake after mistake the whole weekend we were there. Five of us came for a Hen weekend, we picked a spa hotel hoping for a nice and relaxing weekend but unfortunately the hotel experience was far from it.
As mentioned above there were several mistakes but i will be here all day if i listed everything so i will just point out some of the worst cases.

1 - As soon as we arrived we encountered our first problem. The receptionist seemed to have trouble finding our booking. Over 20 minutes later we finally manged to book in. We went off to find our rooms, when we entered we found they had given us 2 double rooms despite our booking being for 2 twin rooms. The only thing they could offer us was an extra blanket. Which really is no help! Luckily we've all know each other for a long time and don't mind sharing a bed if there is no other option. But i can imagine it would be very awkward in other situations. Not only did they mess up with this, they also put the extra put up bed (because we asked to have one room for 3 people) in the smallest of rooms! common sense failed here clearly. Also they put us on complete opposite sides of the hotel, when booked we had asked for them to be near each other, and not only that when you book them together you assume they will be on the same floor at least.
Other problems with the rooms were, lack of cleaning, cold water, no robes or slippers supplied, and very tired decor with fixtures and fittings coming off the walls.

2 - Knowing that we wanted to treat our Bride-to-be we booked her a spa treatment. When we queried it with the hotel they said they had no record of it and it hadn't been booked, and now unfortunately the spa was fully booked. We understand completely that the remaining 4 of us couldn't get a spa treatment. We know that you can't expect to just walk into a spa and get treatments. Booking in advance is the way to go, usually, but clearly not here as we booked the bride's treatment 4 MONTHS in advance and she was still unable to get it. That is shocking. I know the friend who booked the hotel had been ringing for the last month to get confirmation but not surprisingly she never got to talk to anyone to check. They never offered any kind of compensation either. The staff just didn't seem bothered.

3 - When we came to check out we were told that we still owed money for one night. We'd apparently been charged 2 night for 1 room and 1 night for the other. Why did it not cross the receptionists mind to check this when we checked in? Why would you only pay for 1 night? especially the room with 3 of the group in. Nothing was mentioned or even hinted that we'd only part paid. Obviously we refused to pay, and the lady behind the counter keep insisting that we HAD to pay. Finally, and in front of several other customers, we had to explain what an awful experience we'd had and that this was just the icing on the cake. The lady then started saying how sorry she was, she 'had no words' to express her disappointment etc. She made a note on the invoice to pass onto her manager. Then she let us leave. We thought, finally, that the hotel had done something right. Until my friend checked her bank account a couple of days later and found that they had taken the money AFTER we left! Without her consent. The worst thing about all of this is how the woman behind the counter just let us leave under the impression they had wavered the payment. There was NO mention whatsoever that we would still need to make a payment. And that's shameful. There were 5 of us, it's not like we could have just disappeared before she had a chance to call us back. I think the hotel should be very ashamed of this, it's sneaky and morally wrong.

This hotel seriously needs to re-consider how it is run. The staff seem disinterested in everything and all our complaints were left unresolved.
It been over two weeks and we've still had no reply from an email sent by one of the group to the manager.

I'm not sure if they were having a bad weekend or what but it was an utter shambles throughout the hotel. We constantly heard other guests mentioning how their rooms had been messed up, that something hadn't been booked etc. it was just non-stop.

Definitely visit Bournemouth but choose a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gemmawho07 .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Polish first
Hastings, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here last October and had a great time. So stayed again for a romantic one night break.
Pleasant hotel staff greeted us at reception and the hotel room was ready on arrival. However check in was a bit slow. Our room was a good size and bright, but the smell of damp was very strong as you entered. Clean and charming room, but spoiled by the damp smell.
The spa was ok, better last time. The Spa pool was colder than usual and had sand, quite a bit in areas at the bottom. Also disappointingly the sauna was not working, apparently it hadn't for the past 4 days.
The saviour of this break was the restaurant. Amazing food. The dinner was fantastic and the service from Chloe was outstanding. The breakfast as before was superb.
Overall we enjoyed our stay. We like this hotel a lot and find the staff very friendly. We will stay here again soon and hope the issues mentioned have been dealt with.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emsworth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Having arranged to stay here for 1 night, which in my mind was enough, for my girlfriends birthday, we found on arrival to be told to come back in an hour as we arrived at 1pm. Once we got to our room we found it to be extremely hot. It must have been 27 - 28 degrees all day and all night. The ceiling fan made a noise when was on, it was so slow it didn't actually move any significant air which meant that we were literally sweating away in bed at 2am in the morning.

The house, Spa, Gym and restaurant staff were excellent but management were terrible and did not seem to find solutions to our problems. We had arranged for Cava to be waiting for us in the room but did not find it. Once we had raised it with the duty manager he said that unfortunately it had not been put on the system that we requested this even though i showed him the emails between me and the booking agent that actually worked in the hotel, a colleague which he even acknowledged he knew well. We were offered to chose a drink from the wine list and found that the Cava we were supposed to have they had run out of, so we then chose a white wine. We were under the assumption that this would not be charged to our room as there had been a mistake by the hotel, and as it was her birthday which they knew about because i had phoned in before we got there to say we were on the way and it was her birthday. We later found a charge of £20 odd charged to our room which we thought was just completely ridiculous. It wasn't the money that we were unhappy with paying as we would have happily paid for the Cava but as they had made numerous blunders along the way, it was out of principle and good customer service and respect that they should have offered something in return for their errors.

All in all, dinner was great, the spa was ok, gym was reasonable, room was hot, management don't know how to take responsibilities for the hotels mistakes.

Not a 4 Star Hotel

Room Tip: Bring your own air conditioning system.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andy K

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Lancing, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were on a girly weekend away for a spa break. We were all really looking forward to it. We arrived to a small car park despite the fact that it said there was a huge car park online.
Our room was supposed to be an executive suit, however it was a usual room, which didn't have a sofa bed it was a camp bed. My friend who has a back problem decided to bring her fold up bed just encase the room was uncomfortable for her to sleep in so we packed away the bed provided and then used hers. Also in a room for 3 we had 1 set of towels 2 mugs & 2 glasses. When we mentioned it to reception who seemed a bit shocked that we should want more than that. We had also ordered a girls night in package which we had to go to reception to ask about. The staff looked like shocked like they didn't know the package. Then when we did get our package we realised we had no dvd player so couldn't watch the film. A maintenance man explained that the dvd player had been in our room the previous night, which it wasn't as were in that room. We were compensated with a free bottle of wine for not having the films.
My spa treatments were very good, Sophie was very nice & looked after me well. The gym was good but was a bit too hot for my friends. there also was no sauna.
Everything else about our hotel was okay. In future I would book up the treatments well in advance for the spa, but I don't think this hotel is worth 4 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank emsh8944
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

It was not in my intention to write a bad review. However, after being ignored by the hotel staff I feel this is the only way of showing my disappointment.
I would not complaint about old décor, dark corridors and hot room if only the areas would be clean!
As soon as I checked in to the room 84 I noticed that toilet was not cleaned, bedroom bin was filthy, bedroom mirror full of smears, blood marks on bathroom mirror and bed linen was not changed (full of hairs from previous guest)!
I contacted the reception and requested housekeeping service as above-mentioned faults were found by me and it was absolutely unacceptable.

After returning to the room I noticed that bed linen was changed and toilet cleaned. However, no one bothered to clean mirrors and bedroom bin (even though I left it on the stool so they can see it). As it was late I decided to wait until next day and see if housekeeping will pick up on these while cleaning the room.
Unfortunately, after returning to my room this afternoon I noticed that none of mentioned has been cleaned... Speechless.

Also, it would be beneficial is someone could check the cleanliness of public areas from time to time. Not vacuumed lobby carpet and thick dust in the lift ruins the first impression.

On top of all these there is no way to connect to the internet. I mentioned it to the reception staff on few occasions and still nothing has been done. Only thing I was told was ''it is not the first time we are having problems with the router''.

The most disappointed thing about my stay is that no one even bother to apologize for any of issues.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Ania_Sup
Hereford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Very clean rooms and great position.
Helpful and friendly staff thank you for making our short stay so good.
We will definitely be back soon to make use of all your spa facilities they looked epic.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was probably my third or fourth time here on business and I've always found the hotel to be OK. On this occasion, though, it just didn't seem to gel.

Firstly, the car park is always full. I am convinced local residents use it as no matter what time I arrive, there is hardly ever a space. Check in was a slow process although the receptionist was clearly new, so perhaps forgivable.

The public areas are very nice - bright and light, with a feeling of space. But that stops when you go to your room. The (only) lift is an antique, the bedroom corridors dark, narrow and look like they've not been updated since the 50's.

My room was very small, but nevertheless comfortable and I slept OK.

I had dinner in the bar and I have the say the barman was totally disinterested. Couldn't remember where I was sat (in a bar with only a couple of tables occupied), didn't get the billing right, and ran out of one beer.

All in all, I might try elsewhere next time and would recommend you consider the same.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business