“A hotel of two halves!”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 25 May 2014

In the interests of fair play I stayed here free of charge so feel responsible to make it clear that I am making these comments from the point of view as if I were a paying guest. However, as it was the result of a complaint about another hotel I feel I have the right to an opinion.

We arrived at the hotel very early and was told that we would be able to park in the car park if we needed to. However, as it was raining we were looking for something indoors. Which the receptionist was only too pleased to help us with.

When we returned later in the day, we were greeted by a welcoming and stylish reception area and a fairly prompt check in. However, that is where the good things ended...

We were told that we would need to take the lift and then a set of stairs. Nothing like feeling like a valued customer than being stuck in the 'loft!' When we did get up there the lift looked like it hadn't seen a paint brush until well before the hotel was originally opened! The same has to be said for the communal hallways. They were very dark and difficult to navigate.

When we got to the room it was nice enough. However, some of the final touches that would set this hotel apart from others just weren't there. I am talking tiny details but to my mind, this is that would make you stand out. Having said that we did get a good nights sleep and that's the main thing!

A special mention has to go to the macerator that woke anyone up who was staying on the same floor! Due to the fact that we were in the 'attic' the plumbing did not reach that far. It was clear that whatever chain this hotel was before they didn't use the attic for rooms, hence the need for another system. Every time a tap was turned on or the toilet was flushed this would spring into action waking up half of Bournemouth! Not a very nice touch to the 'overall experience' I have to say.

Anyways, onward and upwards, hopefully! We went for breakfast the next day and gave our room number. Whilst I was away from the table a waitress approached my wife and told her that we would need to pay for breakfast. When we repeated the room number to them and told them we were on a bed and breakfast stay there was no apology at all!

The breakfast was adequate, but not something I would have paid £9.95 for. Not when you have such a selection of cafes in Bournemouth. Having said that a lot of chain hotels seem to be charging this price now so I don't blame Hallmark.

I have to repeat again that this was a complementary stay so even I agree that I have very little to complain about. However, I feel that this website is about sharing opinions and I feel that paying guests should approach with caution!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billy M

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and where do I start , downstairs adequate but as soon as you go upstairs the fusty smell hits you. Rooms are small tired with marks everywhere there is no fans or air con and no extractor or window in bathrooms. Was bitten numerous times whilst in the room, this hotel is only worthy of 2 stars not its current rating. My colleague left his razor behind and called the hotel only to be told he hadn't ! Make your own assumption on this matter. Overall staff are not particularly helpful or friendly.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nottingham2
Reviewed 23 May 2014

As we came in January to celebrate my50th, my husband booked spa treatments and other restaurant visits all without my knowing x well.. it was a disaster of a stay here. I really felt sorry for him. When I wrote o the hotel, and then to head office, the manager 8f the hitel rang my husband and offered us free night b&b. As it was his birthday we took advantage of the offer and stayed a 2nd night for £60. We booked massages also. On check in we explained all this and the gentleman receptionist said we were in room 10 but it
was too hot so ill give you room 101 in the other building. Ok it looked fine, obviously after our shower problems in January (being no shower for 3 days) the first th7ng we did was check this!! After minor issue it was fine.
Ala in all good weekend, would've been nice to speak to louise or atleast recieve an email asking if all ws ok. I refrained from putting on here in january until we came this time. But it still needs a good update and the after the massages it was full in the pool area, so we left.
One thing people need to know is the bar IS majorly expensive £10.35 for small glass of rosè and a bacardi and coke!,!

we had good time, if you dont rely on the hotel for everything and go out for food and drink its a great base! Breakfast is included and has lots to choose from, car park 7s small, but there are 2 we moved our car after wed checked in. No not giing back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have just returned from 5 days in Bournemouth and had 4 nights.
From the outside, it does look very good, promising the "the only hotel with two indoor pools in Bournemouth". Yes they are there, but it loses alot when you have semi clad teenagers walking from the pools, through reception to then go down the stairs to the spa itself.

On booking in, there is the automatic "we need a card to charge £50.00 in case there are any issues" I have no issues with this, except the small print was, "it may take several days for this money to be credited back to the account"

I looked at the lift and decided to carry my case upstairs rather than risk it. There were a few issues of the door not closing properly on one of the floors and this locked the lift until the doors were fully shut.

The stairs were a little tired, and the public areas were quite well lit on the main landings, but getting to the third floor was a different story. I would not want to be to elderly or infirm. Sherpas and a couple of ropes could have assisted with the final set of stairs. They were quite a bit steeper than expected. Once you opened the door to the corridors there was a distinct mustiness.

Once I finally got the door open (the card kept losing the details which resulted in further trips to reception every time I came back to the hotel) I found the room was quite well presented and looked quite nice, but a little small.

I was then knocked back by the blast furnace temperature of the room. I managed to get the windows open to get some cooler air into the room and started to unpack,

The rooms are a little basic, but it was a room where I planned to sleep and would not spend alot of time in.
I started on the essentials. I tried to access the WI-FI. This was so hit and miss it wasnt worth the effort.
The signal was better in other parts of the hotel, but even on the ground floor, it was very lax.

I then went into the bathroom.
The toilet roll holder could not stay in its position, and anytime you tried to get toilet roll, it dropped into the 7 oclock position.

I got into the shower only to find that if you touched the shower head, then it would drop down to the bottom of the rail.
I tried to tighten the fastener and this didnt work. In its favour, there was unlimited hot water.
It was a shame that the shower curtain was ditched and grubby at the bottom.

I then tried to brush my teeth. I turned the mixer tap to cold water and scalded my hand due to the fact the tap had one setting - molten.
Actually, I am being unfair, to get cold water, you ended up turning the handle so that it was facing the mirror and then you had the chance of some cold(er) water.

On a brighter note, I did sleep well, and the breakfast service was very good on the whole. Again, two days running, there was no yoghurt.
The evening meals were nicely presented, but larger portions would have gone a long way, and I felt they were a little pricey for the quantity.

On checking out, I am glad that I looked at the details. There was a £63.00 charge for a meal for two which I hadn't had, and when we checked the signature, it was obvious the author was female, so after 20 minutes, it was accepted that I had not signed for it.

Bournemouth as a place, very nice and relaxing.
Hallmark Hotel, well you are named after the card chain, and I think if this was a card, it would have been a Tesco Finest, so Hallmark Hotel, thank you, but no

Room Tip: Do not have room 78
2  Thank oberon5000
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We visited this hotel for a "Champagne Afternoon Tea", redeeming a voucher we'd been given last Xmas. We only went to this location because there were no other viable options location wise. Must admit we were apprehensive having read some poor reviews, but decided to go with an open mind! Car parking was extremely difficult due to there being a conferance on & we squeezed into the last available space, good job my husband such a good driver. We went to reception & found they couldn't take our voucher so were shown down to the spa area where it was accepted, then back upstairs & along to the bar area (good job we fit enough to walk the distance, along the tired corridors). We were seated in a conservatory area looking at the swimming pool, this was quite pleasant, but the upholstery was rather tired!!!!!!!!!!Champagne, tea & coffee (as ordered) duly arrived. Our afternoon tea then arrived served on a large floor tile, we were some what taken by surprise having expected the now rather fashionable tired cake stand. We commenced with the sandwiches, strangely just one egg sandwich, also varying nos of smoked salmon, cucumber, ham & cheese & tomato sandwiches to.We had booked "this experience" the previous morning & think the sandwiches were made at that time & left uncovered through to our arrival as they were very dried up also the quality of the contents was very poor. We had 12 scones, they were very small, they had obviously been heated in a microwave & those we took home were rock hard when we thought of eating them later. No dainty iced cakes, but 3 (why 3?) slices of what were told was Dorset apple cake, think bread pudding consistency (we took this home). Last but not least there were 3 (why 3?) homemade short bread biscuits, these were very nice. This was a "Gift Experience" purchased in Boots & given as they say "to give you a memorable experience". It certainly was memorable but for all the wrong reasons, we decided we had to tell the truth to my cousin who'd given us this as we didn't want a repeat! After being presented with the tea we didn't see any member of staff again. Feel it is bad that the hotel is redeeming these vouchers with what can only be termed poor quality food.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doidy
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I'll start with the positives; the bed was very comfortable and the staff are pleasant. Unfortunately the systems let this hotel down. Arriving after midnight, the hotel couldn't find my booking because the systems run an upgrade after midnight. Very tedious. Every night I stayed I got to my room to find that I had been locked out and had to go back to reception to have the key reactivated. There was no wifi in the bedroom. You had to sit downstairs, though the bar area is very pleasant and light. The hotel needs to keep on top of basic repairs (broken tap and door hanger not fixed) and the heating bill must be enormous. My room was boiling hot. I don't mind hot but if you like a cool room it would be an issue. I did have one meal in the hotel but didn't enjoy it. There is however a wonderful little Italian, La Piazza, a short walk away which is 5* on food and service.

1  Thank SamW507
Reviewed 22 May 2014

A promising start... some very nice public spaces, well proportioned and well furnished...

Reception greeting: severly limited by the lack of English speaking skills of the check-in staff.... which proved to be a regular theme running through the hotel. It did act in our favour when full afternoon tea arrived instead of the scones and cream ordered though. At other times it was infuriating.

A lift.... which looks like something from a bygone area, and has the lack of reliability that comes with great age...

A room which looks good but lacks modern standards... like still having blankets rather than duvets....

And non existent maintenance staff. We reported a phone that didnt work (the receiver wasnt even connected), and a ceiling fan that died part way through the stay. No one ever came to resolve the problems, and it appeared that no one cared.

And a German coach party that took over the hotel and seemed to think it was perfectly Ok to have a coach revving outside for 45 minutes at 7.45am in the morning.

Room Tip: Try one of the many other hotels in Bournemouth