“Weekend Stay”

Ranked #46 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“Weekend Stay”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for family wedding including reception.
Pleasant room on top floor with good views. Good room
specification and found bed very comfortable.
Excellent bathroom with shower over.
Facilities and spa were first rate and the swimming pool
looked good.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms may be difficult for elderly of disabled as narrow stairway to reach top level
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Polish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

OK for a registered 4 start hotel this was more like a 2 star.
dear Hotel Manager, get yourself sorted.
the front of the hotel should be the first impression of the rest of the hotel,
4 out of the 5 lights lighting up the signage were broken with one hanging out of the wall.
the girl behind the reception desk was fantastic, I can't remember her name but she was super efficient. the rooms were OK and modern but the higher you go the hotter it became.
the Spa had a blow out in the steam room which then short circuited the showers, so hot and sweaty customers were coming out of the sauna and getting straight into the jacuzzi, not good...

Room Tip: book lower floors as it gets hotter the higher you go
1 Thank rhodesy10
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I tried the 'spa' this evening and it lived up to expectations - expectations set by other reviews. The steam room was steamy and well populated due to the sauna being out of order. The showers in the area were out of order too. The pool was cloudy with dirt and grit collecting in each corner. The jacuzzi was cold and taken out of order. The aromatherapy room smelled ok but was nothing special. I gave up and returned to the damp changing room to use the single working shower. One guy was hogging all the space so I had to finish getting dressed out in the main area. I left the hotel and went to the pub (Goat and Tricycle with 10 real beers on handpump)
There's so much more to say about the hotel in general. I'll give another update tomorrow.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank pxg57

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Reading, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel as it was in a good location for the concert we were going to (at the BIC). I stayed here with my husband, and, as having stayed in a number of 4 star hotels, we felt this hotel fell short of the mark.

The bar and restaurant areas were very clean and comfortable. Good quality furniture, good decor, as you would expect in a 4 star hotel. Our room on the other hand was a huge disappointment. We were placed in room 91, lift to the third floor then up a small, narrow staircase into the very top of the building. The room itself was very small, although as we were there for one night only, the size of the room did not really matter. What did matter though was the shower. However hard we tried, we just could not get a constant temperature. In our opinion this shower was a danger, running boiling hot for a few minutes, followed by a few minutes of freezing cold water. The temperature was never constant, just kept changing between the too! Good job I was not showering my three year old in there! We paid £96 for our 1 night stay, plus breakfast at £19.90. We thought the room rate was very overpriced. £65-£80 would have been more like it. We also noted that the halls/landings were very dated (woodchip magnolia wallpaper), and in desperate need of a spruce up.

However, positively, the room, bathroom and public areas were all very clean (which I am a stickler for, so I was pleased about that). All the staff we met were friendly, helpful and seemed to enjoy their work. Mattress on the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was very nice, being of a top end buffet worth the money. We would consider staying again if we got a better room for our money.

Room Tip: Not a room in the attic. 91-94.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Booked three nights as a break and to attend concert at the BIC. First room was so musty but was moved in order to get access to Wi-Fi. Staff were all very good. Breakfast was one of the worst that I have ever had in a hotel: no yogurt, poor fruit salad, inedible fried egg, scrambled egg that was in danger of drowning in water

1 Thank Wendy0475
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for the weekend and found that the two days were enough, this had a lot to do with the very poor quality of the bed that I had- we requested that a third bed was put in the room and on arrival found it to be a camp bed!! This would have suited a child fine but us adults need a firm mattress and a bit of space! The rooms was also vey warm (to be honest this didn't bother me as I feel the cold) however many people would benefit from some kind of air conditioning though. The room we had needed updating and the shower ran between warm and cold with very little water pressure-much like I would expect to find in a caravan-not a four star hotel. Breakfast was the best part of the stay I found the quality of this was very good. I would not stay in this hotel again and would certainly not recommend it for a romantic getaway!! there seemed to be better hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

In the interests of fair play I stayed here free of charge so feel responsible to make it clear that I am making these comments from the point of view as if I were a paying guest. However, as it was the result of a complaint about another hotel I feel I have the right to an opinion.

We arrived at the hotel very early and was told that we would be able to park in the car park if we needed to. However, as it was raining we were looking for something indoors. Which the receptionist was only too pleased to help us with.

When we returned later in the day, we were greeted by a welcoming and stylish reception area and a fairly prompt check in. However, that is where the good things ended...

We were told that we would need to take the lift and then a set of stairs. Nothing like feeling like a valued customer than being stuck in the 'loft!' When we did get up there the lift looked like it hadn't seen a paint brush until well before the hotel was originally opened! The same has to be said for the communal hallways. They were very dark and difficult to navigate.

When we got to the room it was nice enough. However, some of the final touches that would set this hotel apart from others just weren't there. I am talking tiny details but to my mind, this is that would make you stand out. Having said that we did get a good nights sleep and that's the main thing!

A special mention has to go to the macerator that woke anyone up who was staying on the same floor! Due to the fact that we were in the 'attic' the plumbing did not reach that far. It was clear that whatever chain this hotel was before they didn't use the attic for rooms, hence the need for another system. Every time a tap was turned on or the toilet was flushed this would spring into action waking up half of Bournemouth! Not a very nice touch to the 'overall experience' I have to say.

Anyways, onward and upwards, hopefully! We went for breakfast the next day and gave our room number. Whilst I was away from the table a waitress approached my wife and told her that we would need to pay for breakfast. When we repeated the room number to them and told them we were on a bed and breakfast stay there was no apology at all!

The breakfast was adequate, but not something I would have paid £9.95 for. Not when you have such a selection of cafes in Bournemouth. Having said that a lot of chain hotels seem to be charging this price now so I don't blame Hallmark.

I have to repeat again that this was a complementary stay so even I agree that I have very little to complain about. However, I feel that this website is about sharing opinions and I feel that paying guests should approach with caution!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple