“Great for a relaxing break”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I booked this hotel for the bank holiday weekend to get away for a break with a friend. The hotel is very smart and clean and not outdated as you can sometimes find at hotels near the sea. The staff were very friendly and the room was huge. We spent a day in the spa and even though I hadn't pre-booked any treatments I was put on the cancellation list and was lucky enough to get an appointment for a full body massage which was divine. The entire stay was fantastic and if I were being picky then the only thing I would criticise would be that the shower could have been stronger and it was about a mile away from the main town when going out on Saturday evening. The hotel was fully booked with a wedding on Saturday and another event on the Sunday and a bunch of stag and hen parties. None of these impacted on our stay and we didn't hear any noise from any of these groups at all. Overall it was a great stay and I will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for family wedding including reception.
Pleasant room on top floor with good views. Good room
specification and found bed very comfortable.
Excellent bathroom with shower over.
Facilities and spa were first rate and the swimming pool
looked good.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms may be difficult for elderly of disabled as narrow stairway to reach top level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

OK for a registered 4 start hotel this was more like a 2 star.
dear Hotel Manager, get yourself sorted.
the front of the hotel should be the first impression of the rest of the hotel,
4 out of the 5 lights lighting up the signage were broken with one hanging out of the wall.
the girl behind the reception desk was fantastic, I can't remember her name but she was super efficient. the rooms were OK and modern but the higher you go the hotter it became.
the Spa had a blow out in the steam room which then short circuited the showers, so hot and sweaty customers were coming out of the sauna and getting straight into the jacuzzi, not good...

Room Tip: book lower floors as it gets hotter the higher you go
1  Thank rhodesy10
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I tried the 'spa' this evening and it lived up to expectations - expectations set by other reviews. The steam room was steamy and well populated due to the sauna being out of order. The showers in the area were out of order too. The pool was cloudy with dirt and grit collecting in each corner. The jacuzzi was cold and taken out of order. The aromatherapy room smelled ok but was nothing special. I gave up and returned to the damp changing room to use the single working shower. One guy was hogging all the space so I had to finish getting dressed out in the main area. I left the hotel and went to the pub (Goat and Tricycle with 10 real beers on handpump)
There's so much more to say about the hotel in general. I'll give another update tomorrow.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank pxg57
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel as it was in a good location for the concert we were going to (at the BIC). I stayed here with my husband, and, as having stayed in a number of 4 star hotels, we felt this hotel fell short of the mark.

The bar and restaurant areas were very clean and comfortable. Good quality furniture, good decor, as you would expect in a 4 star hotel. Our room on the other hand was a huge disappointment. We were placed in room 91, lift to the third floor then up a small, narrow staircase into the very top of the building. The room itself was very small, although as we were there for one night only, the size of the room did not really matter. What did matter though was the shower. However hard we tried, we just could not get a constant temperature. In our opinion this shower was a danger, running boiling hot for a few minutes, followed by a few minutes of freezing cold water. The temperature was never constant, just kept changing between the too! Good job I was not showering my three year old in there! We paid £96 for our 1 night stay, plus breakfast at £19.90. We thought the room rate was very overpriced. £65-£80 would have been more like it. We also noted that the halls/landings were very dated (woodchip magnolia wallpaper), and in desperate need of a spruce up.

However, positively, the room, bathroom and public areas were all very clean (which I am a stickler for, so I was pleased about that). All the staff we met were friendly, helpful and seemed to enjoy their work. Mattress on the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was very nice, being of a top end buffet worth the money. We would consider staying again if we got a better room for our money.

Room Tip: Not a room in the attic. 91-94.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Booked three nights as a break and to attend concert at the BIC. First room was so musty but was moved in order to get access to Wi-Fi. Staff were all very good. Breakfast was one of the worst that I have ever had in a hotel: no yogurt, poor fruit salad, inedible fried egg, scrambled egg that was in danger of drowning in water

1  Thank Wendy0475
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for the weekend and found that the two days were enough, this had a lot to do with the very poor quality of the bed that I had- we requested that a third bed was put in the room and on arrival found it to be a camp bed!! This would have suited a child fine but us adults need a firm mattress and a bit of space! The rooms was also vey warm (to be honest this didn't bother me as I feel the cold) however many people would benefit from some kind of air conditioning though. The room we had needed updating and the shower ran between warm and cold with very little water pressure-much like I would expect to find in a caravan-not a four star hotel. Breakfast was the best part of the stay I found the quality of this was very good. I would not stay in this hotel again and would certainly not recommend it for a romantic getaway!! there seemed to be better hotels in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends