“A very pleasant stay”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I arrive having read the appalling reviews on here with extremely low expectations but was actually very pleasantly surprised!

Apart from what seems to be the typical mix up of rooms-we were in a hen party and had booked twin rooms to all actually been given double rooms, the rest of the stay was good. We had room 107.

I didn't use the spa so cannot comment on that, but our room was spacious, clean, the bathroom was excellent (I am very fussy about hotel bathrooms).

We had a 3 course 'set menu' dinner and bottle of bubbly thrown in for the price we paid and this included steak! The food was beautiful! And our waitress was the sweetest lady. All very polite and attentive.

Breakfast buffet was again excellent, a large choice and all well cooked and kept well heated. We ate loads-just what we needed after our night out!

Overall a very pleasant and comfortable stay, my friend and I travel a lot with work and we both agreed that we have stayed in far worse for the money paid!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,036)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Went as part of a champagne lunch and spa session. Where to start...

Gym was very small, several machines out of order, no air con, limited space. Pool was very small, lessons took most lanes and space so best avoided. Spa changing rooms were tiny, two ppl max. Sauna out of order, without prior notice, aroma cave was odd, relaxation room pointless, showers flooded in changing rooms. No hint of luxury or anything positive to say here.

Bar looked great but leaking roof, staff dropping food and service was poor and building looked like things had been pointlessly bolted on, without thought.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rich M
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Had a spa day. The pool etc were great but the changing rooms were disgusting. There was one shower downstairs and 2 upstairs, both were caked in mould. I didn't want to step foot in them but had no choice. There were also big holes in the walls.
Had a lovely afternoon tea though. I'd be back, but only if the changing rooms improve.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I booked a room at the Connaught hotel in Bournemouth for one night. The day before I was booked in I received a phone call from the Connaught telling me that they were really sorry, but they had made a mistake and overbooked the room. They asked me if I would accept a room at the Hallmark and they would arrange an upgrade to an executive room. They told me it was a 4 star hotel and the Connaught hotel would pay the extra cost. Although I was disappointed with the changes I thought it would be okay. Well, when I checked in, the man at reception gave me my key and told me to wait the ten minutes until I was allowed in the room as it was only 13.50 and the check in time was 14.00. A bit pedantic, but ok. Then people checked in by the lady straight after me were allowed to their room. No information offered to me but they get everything. Then when I get to the room, there's lumps of toast under the bed side table. The room is barely a double, with two single beds zipped together. The view is of an air conditioning unit. The shower head can only be used by holding it, as the bracket is broken. The part broken tile where the soap dish used to be was a pretty shape. The corner shelf was hanging off. All of the taps had the handles missing. The shower door was mouldy.
I told reception that I wasn't happy, but they showed little interest. I emailed Faye at the Connaught and she called the Hallmark and emailed me straight away. All of this wound me up during the day. I packed up my things by earlyeevening and checked out. I was told that the management had to check me out. But then I think they decided they didn't want to know what was wrong with my stay or not stay, as it turned out. I was told I was free to go. They didn't charge me for the room but then I didn't stay. Faye from the Connaught was great, but the Hallmark should never be advertising as a 4 star hotel. 2 at best. It's not a really bad hotel but it's not much more than a B&B.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

what can I say about this shabby hotel, the staff are rude and grumpy. the tables are filthy and not cleaned. I ended up having to clean one table myself.

there was a leak in the roof which was dripping in the bar area. I told a member of staff who ignored me, so I watched and the carpet got wetter and wetter. no staff put a bucket down or blocked off the area.

the lift stank of rotton food.

the wall paper to the spa was peeling off. the pool was freezing as the heater had broken down.

the rooms were dark and gloomy with brown blankets that looked as if they had been donated from the local prison.

breakfast was a joke, buffet breakfast was sparse and it was not topped up, the choice was a scrapping of beans, one egg one hash brown, half black pudding, bacon swimming in water and shrivelled up mushrooms. I asked for hot milk with my coffee and I was told no we don't have it we are short staffed???? AWFUL

two rooms booked for one night £197 over priced and a insult

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank BeckyM7
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Just decided to treat my friend for her birthday and I couldn't choose better. She just loved. Amanzing spa day relaxing and beautiful decoration. The afternoon tea was superb special the apple tarte. The only annoying thing that happy was a human being joined the spa the same day and decided to be unpleasant with a unpleasant comment just because we are enjoying the spa and taking pictures and think she was not happy to see another people happy.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were married at this hotel in 2006 (was then known as the Durley Hall). We had an amazing day and the hotel was fantastic. This month we were lucky enough to have a day to ourselves so decided to return for an afternoon tea as a treat. On entering the hotel we found ourselves stood around as we weren't sure what to do, after speaking to the one waitress that was there we found a table ( must say that wasn't very clean, also all the chairs had leftover bits if food in them). We sat down and viewed the menu, behind us there were two ladies complaining about a spa day they had booked and the terrible afternoon tea they had just had. This didn't sound good , but we decided to stay as I believe you should always try things for yourself. We decided on the £10.25 afternoon tea so my husband went to order, it seemed he was queuing forever as there was 1 waitress taking food orders and working the bar she was also serving food. ( run off her feet to say the least). The tea was finally brought to us on a very unstable rickety cake stand. We were informed that the homemade dorset apple cake was unavailable so we were given lemon (this wasn't a huge problem although I think we should of been told prior to ordering). We decided to start on the finger sandwiches, the bread was like cardboard and extremely hard and stale, also the scones seemed very dry and hard, we spoke to the deputy manager who returned the food to the kitchen and apologised. Whilst waiting our tea was served (in a chipped cup and saucer). The manager returned and informed us that they were making some fresh scones and the ones on the cake stand felt hard but were soft in the middle. The sandwiches felt better but were still not as fresh as I would of expected. Whilst eating the manager returned with a plate of scones which she informed us were fresh out of the oven, we cut them open only to find thy were still cold and frozen in the middle, ( clearly not fresh homemade produce, felt like they had come out of the freezer). We called the manager over again and explained they were not cooked she prodded them with her finger and said we were right and she would take them back to the kitchen again. After a while she returned with the same scones and explained that they had been put in the oven for a bit longer. On hearing this my husband asked if they were the same scones that she had been prodding with her finger, to which she replied yes, realising what she had said she explained she would go back to the kitchen and get some more (3 times now). I must say the lemon cake was nice as I would imagine to was bought in! Finally she returned with some warm scones ( which were very dry but at least they were cooked this time). She offered us a complimentary drink, this was a nice gesture but the afternoon tea experience was ruined. To say we were disappointed would be an understatement, we were so looking forward to returning to where we got married. All in all I would not recommend the hotel, it was dirty, their was no where near enough staff, the garden was all unkept. Not a nice experience needs someone to sort it out quickly ! I felt I had to leave a review as I wouldn't want other people to experience the same things !

1  Thank Halfhide75